Kemper Spotting - Fair Warning

• Aussie band that's been around forever.

Sensational EVH tone and playing. Live performance at the Melbourne Guitar Show in August 2019 of the Van Halen 1978 album.

Enjoy!

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• So great Nicky, I love it. Especially the Star Wars like title in the beginning :thumbup:8)

...and the massive bass. Once again I recognize only many years later how much Michael Anthony's work was crucial for VH. But as a guitar player I tend to see only Eddie's genius. Guilty :)

The guitar player does it very well, cool stuff and sound. And he keeps smiling most of the time. Just like Eddie :thumbup:

• Some comments from Simon on the YouTube page. Thank you to BYTOR over at Rig Talk for pointing these out:

I'm using the Kemper as a pre-amp, and running it into the old Superlead Power section at the back, and then into a vintage Marshall Cab. The Plexi I've had modded to sound great on its own, but because we were playing "the album", the Kemper gave me the flexibility to have different gain structures and reverbs to match each song more closely. On the floor I'm just using a Strymon tape delay, and a MXR phase 90. I ran it "dry/wet" on the day, so that the Plexi & Marshall cab are bone dry unless I turn the delay on, and the other rig you see there is just doing 100% wet reverbs.

He said this about the band:

'Fair Warning' is a little 'jamming band' that was put together back in 1997 in Melbourne Australia, for no other reason than to have fun and keep our chops up by playing Van Halen songs with our good pals, as we all toured in Tommy Emmanuel’s band at the time.

• Be honest, that's you right?

Ha! :D Naa mate, I've got taste a plenty but no skillz. :pinch:

Holy sh...!!!! Close your eyes and it's like the really thing!! This guys are amazing!!! Even the voice... sounds like DLR.

Indeed, they're the best VH-tribute band I've ever heard, hence the share. Nothing but the best for my fellow Kemperites. 8)

• Amazing! I loved it. It would have been *too much* if David Bowers nailed Roth's screams, wow. Top notch. A pity the guitarist messed with Eruption though, bet he could have done it note for note.

• It‘s been a long time that I watched a whole show on YT, but man... this is f***ing great! Great performance. This album was a paradigm shift in guitar history.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• It‘s been a long time that I watched a whole show on YT, but man... this is f***ing great!

Same here, Stephan; very-rare I make it to the end.

This time however I watched it on TV in the living room twice... and saved it for future viewing and listening. :love:

• I think it was just a one-off concert, brother; they hadn't played in a while but wanted to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the album.

The American Fair Warning is still touring and has dates set for this year, but we're both in Oz so there's that...

FWIMBW, here's the clip the American band has talked about that started a huge surge of interest in and attendance to its gigs. This is more along the lines of the ear assault what we're used to. :D

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• The Oz band is way better 8o

• Nicky, thanks for posting this video along with the backstory. Definitely a group of fine musicians near perfectly performing one of the best guitar albums ever. Simon and SATSUMA3042 are the best EVH players I think I've ever seen.

We tend to get wowed by the stars but forget just how great some of the session musicians are. Tom Bukavac and his Home Skoolin channel is a good example of this. He's played on hundreds of hit records and is one of the most amazing guitarist I've ever seen. Session guys just don't get the credit they deserve sometime.

Trey

• No worries, Trey. The '69 Z28's one of my fave muscle cars, BTW. Noooiiiccceee, as we say here in Oz. 8)

Session guys just don't get the credit they deserve sometime.

True dat. There's a handful who managed to find their way out of that "obscure" world into the limelight, such as Steve Lukather, but it tends to only happen if they play on a ridiculous number of albums.