Studio Monitors

• Starting to do some research on studio monitors for my kemper. I have the unpowered Stage. Does having an unpowered stage matter with monitors or I can buy powered studio monitors and be fine? Do I need to have anything extra on my PC to run monitors or just plug and play?

• You need powered monitors with any unpowered unit like Kemp stage or Line6 helix.

Great I will only look for powered monitors then. Anything else one should consider when researching studio monitors? Some must haves or some definite no-no's?

At what point does spending extra money on monitors really make that big of a difference? I know ultimately it comes down to taste, but any insight is greatly appreciated!

• I don;t know much about monitors but you want them as flat as possible.

The Yamaha HS series are pretty good. I have the HS8's and I like them ( although they don;t get much use)...

• Ideally, would like to stay under 400-500 USD, but my mind could be changed if monitors more than that sound much better. Definitely not over 1,000 though

You can get a pair of Yamaha HS8 studio monitors new for under $750 on Reverb. I have a pair of those and I haven't heard anything better in that price range.

• I use Adam A7x and love them but the Yamahas and others are also great from what I hear.

You need to be aware that the acoustics of your room can make a bigger difference than any speaker change so spending a few quid putting in some basic acoustic treatment is often a better use of funds than buying more expensive monitors.

• I have the JBL 305s and they are great. Just want to throw this out there, take a look a the Headrush 108 powered speaker. They are small enough for studio and also loud enough to gig with, and very portable. They only cost $219 and sound great with the Kemper profiles. I used a pair of them in stereo last weekend at a gig and I had no issues with tone or volume. I could have gotten away with one as they are very loud. Most importantly they sound great.

• I have the JBL 305s and they are great. Just want to throw this out there, take a look a the Headrush 108 powered speaker. They are small enough for studio and also loud enough to gig with, and very portable. They only cost $219 and sound great with the Kemper profiles. I used a pair of them in stereo last weekend at a gig and I had no issues with tone or volume. I could have gotten away with one as they are very loud. Most importantly they sound great.

I already have the headrush 108 that I use for gigs but I think lower volumes at home it sounds far from ideal lol. Studio monitors at home would def be better than the headrush 108 in my opinion

The Yamaha HS series are pretty good. I have the HS8's and I like them ( although they don;t get much use)...

I have these too and they're great value for powered monitors with good balance for guitars. Even the smaller HS7s sound good.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

I have the Yamaha HS7's and they sound killer with my Kemper. May just need to add some bass.

The Stereo reverbs and delays are fantastic.

'You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead' - Stan Laurel

• is there a definitive benefit to having bigger speakers in studio monitors or does it just help for higher volume ?

You usually get speaker size according to your room size. I am in room 14x12 and have JBL 306's (6 inch). They are more than enough for my size. I could have used the 305's but I may be moving to a larger studio (14x17). You want monitors that can put out at least 85db of low noise sound no matter the room size.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.