Tip #6: Let the KPA sound great!

• (I use #6 since #5 was stolen ;) )

Some (like me) LOVE the sound of the KPA - others like it not so much - why?

What kind of guitar amp guy are you?

Type a)
    If you are used to mike your real amps and record it - you'll probable love the KPA!

Type b)
    If you use other modeling amps up to now - you'll probable love the KPA!

Type c)
    If you are used to real tube amps next to you and use a modeler (or the KPA) for the first time - you may not like it.
    It sounds very different!

How to improve your sound?

for type a or b:
    To get an even better sound - get better speakers - this makes a huge difference for all your profiles.

for type c:

Basically you have three options:
    1)
    Learn to love the sound of "recorded" amp tones.
    Note:
    If you play live via a PA, produce a CD, a video, ... - the audience will NEVER hear your amps tone (only the miked sounds),

2)
    Use profiles of guitar amps only - and use a tube power amp and guitar speaker

3)
    Use profiles created to sound more like the real amp next to you and use large linear speakers.

I myself am more the type c guy - I love tube amps and my KPA sounds very close to then :D

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Armin, do you use the same hardware in studio that you do playing out?

Currently do I use the KPA only in my studio - live do I still use the small Koch Studiotone.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

• Hi Armin, What tube power amp do you recommend?

I use the KPA only in my Studios with nearfield / midfiled monitors.
    For me is FRFR the only way to use the KPA - since only by this can I use different speaker simulations in a realistic way.

In my keyboard studio do I use the recommended Genelec's and in my guitar studio do I use the Adam's.
    I have used some PA speakers before but did not like the sound at all.

In case you like to use the KPA with a real tube amp and guitar speakers - there are a lot of options.
    If you like to run stereo this may be some options:

Marshall EL34 50/50
    Mesa Boogie 2:50

• which adams are you using, i assume for your guitar studio they are FRFR?, i have a pair of good powered yamaha monitors in my home studio, but since i got the kemper really want to get my sound as good as it can be, and from what you are saying this could be an improvement, the kemper is pretty much it for my guitar playing now, so i want to get the most out of it

welcome your thoughts

thanks

• which adams are you using, i assume for your guitar studio they are FRFR?, i have a pair of good powered yamaha monitors in my home studio, but since i got the kemper really want to get my sound as good as it can be, and from what you are saying this could be an improvement, the kemper is pretty much it for my guitar playing now, so i want to get the most out of it

welcome your thoughts

thanks

I use the large Adam S4X-V (12" bass)

• I use the large Adam S4X-V

For that price you can get 2 QSC KW-152 or 2 RCF NX15 SMA. They are going to be as well a fantastic live monitoring system and, on poles, they can carry the all band on a mid size club. Volume and "thump" wise they are better than a 4x12, IMHO

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• For that price you can get 2 QSC KW-152 or 2 RCF NX15 SMA. They are going to be as well a fantastic live monitoring system and, on poles, they can carry the all band on a mid size club. Volume and "thump" wise they are better than a 4x12, IMHO

The Adams are no live monitors but for studio use - completely different kind of speakers IMHO.

Yes, the QSC's are great for live use.

• I agree with you, those Adams are fantastic but absolutely out of reach for me. I was trying to point out that for somebody not making mastering a couple of good FRFR are going probably to serve well in studio and on stage

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• I went from a Yamaha HS80M to an Adam A8x. Although the Yamaha was great, it had a bass I could not tame and the highs weren't as crisp and detailed as the Adam. YMMV but I think both are great options, especially the Yamaha for the price.