Getting studio sound like my cab

• I found a simple method to get my studio recorded sound closer to my live cab. Like "Duh" simple. I LOVE the way my live cab sounds, better than I like it recorded, and my goal was to match them so that when I hear it played back through my studio monitors and DAW it sounds exactly the same. I don't like to mess with cab freq and deep editing that much and I liked the profiles and never touch rig EQ. I'm kinda in the school of if I don't like it, go to something else. I tried pure cab but it wasn't getting me what I wanted. After analyzing, I realized my studio setup was flatter and was producing some high end that didn't sound as natural. I simply went to the high filter with my live cab on and banged out some chords hard on upper strings while I turned the filter down until I heard it start to make a difference (In my case about 7900hz) and found the spot where it was as low as can be but not affecting the live cab at all. When I recorded it, it was so much better and finally very close to what I hear amp in the room. At first I scorned the high/low pass being global over monitors and main but it proved useful here once I understood the live cab wasn't producing those frequencies anyway but they were in my DAW/monitors. Easy!

• yeah, hi pass at ~60 - 75 Hz, low pass ~7-8kHz and a narrow dip ~4.6 - 4.8kHz to remove annoying fizz - are my typical goto settings for recording. Learned this from Tone Wars youtube channel and it really improved the tone I'm getting.

• Thanks for the post. I oftentimes use additionally multi band compression. These does not effect the tone permanently.

Just to get closer to your experience what cab are u talking about? Guitar cab, GFR, FRFR, ... I own a BlueAmp Spark as well as a BlueAmp Conehead. These days I mainly use imprints and would rather wish to get that sound experience in my daw. Although I experienced that my live sound does not fit in every mix (depending on other instruments).

• Thanks for the post. I oftentimes use additionally multi band compression. These does not effect the tone permanently.

Just to get closer to your experience what cab are u talking about? Guitar cab, GFR, FRFR, ... I own a BlueAmp Spark as well as a BlueAmp Conehead. These days I mainly use imprints and would rather wish to get that sound experience in my daw. Although I experienced that my live sound does not fit in every mix (depending on other instruments).

Using an oversize 1x12 with CL80 speaker. I didn't want to use any compression or change the cab sound at all-it was perfect

• yeah, hi pass at ~60 - 75 Hz, low pass ~7-8kHz and a narrow dip ~4.6 - 4.8kHz to remove annoying fizz - are my typical goto settings for recording. Learned this from Tone Wars youtube channel and it really improved the tone I'm getting.

I'm careful about removing "fizz". Sometimes that fizz is part of what makes the sound. I have at times removed what I perceived as fizz soloed and in a mix it sounded flat. Then I would go to some of my all time favorite album sounds to reset my ears and notice there was at times lots of crunchy fizz in those sounds (and kinda thin too with the bottom end filtered out to not overwhelm the bottom end). Some artists normally use a sound with little "fizz" Eric Johnson, Billy Gibbons, Joe Bonamossa etc. that have that real fat toneful lead sound but it wouldn't work playing a Van Halen song or classic rock, It would sound like it had a "blanket on it". On a tangent, Using a Rockman and filters I once got a sound just like Boston distortion. It was unusable in anything but Boston songs!