Speaker Ohms for Power Rack

• So I’m getting rdy to put speakers in a 2x12 cab I’ve had with some Celestions. What ohm speaker load would you guys go with? Does it really matter as long as I don’t stress them? I run my power rack at rehearsals through a 4x12 @ 16ohms, but the 2x12 one I’m going to use at home and for smaller gigs/rehearsals. Just trying to get some opinions. Should I get two 8 ohms and run @ 16 ohms or two 16 ohms and run @ 8 ohms?

• So I’m getting rdy to put speakers in a 2x12 cab I’ve had with some Celestions. What ohm speaker load would you guys go with? Does it really matter as long as I don’t stress them? I run my power rack at rehearsals through a 4x12 @ 16ohms, but the 2x12 one I’m going to use at home and for smaller gigs/rehearsals. Just trying to get some opinions. Should I get two 8 ohms and run @ 16 ohms or two 16 ohms and run @ 8 ohms?

Have you considered loading up that cabinet with a couple of Kemper Kones?

• Have you considered loading up that cabinet with a couple of Kemper Kones?

I have been using the Kemper for going on two years with my guitar cab and have to say theirs nothing that it lacks for me, so I don't see a use in it for me.

Edited once, last by Clselby ().

• You can just as easily wire 2 x 8 ohms speakers for 4 ohms, unless you're planning on using the cab with other amp heads that would be the way I would go.

A 150w triple rectifier on 10 is going to be louder than your Kemper on 10, I don't think the Kemper is realisticly a risk of blowing a 150w cab, just leave the poweramp boost off.

A 16 ohm cab may help save your eardrums though, whatever works for you

• You can just as easily wire 2 x 8 ohms speakers for 4 ohms, unless you're planning on using the cab with other amp heads that would be the way I would go.

A 150w triple rectifier on 10 is going to be louder than your Kemper on 10, I don't think the Kemper is realisticly a risk of blowing a 150w cab, just leave the poweramp boost off.

A 16 ohm cab may help save your eardrums though, whatever works for you

So you don't think the kemper would blow a pair of speakers @ 16ohms?

• So you don't think the kemper would blow a pair of speakers @ 16ohms?

remember that the KPA has a wattage meter so you can always ensure that you don’t over do it and blow anything. Running at 16ohms will definitely reduce the available maximum volume. Personally I would prefer to run a lower impedance and limit the output I sent by keeping the power amp boost off or low but either should be fine.