• Good stuff but it’s like everything else: subjective. The complete packs are a bit expensive in my opinion however you can also try the essential packs although there is a smaller selection of cabinet / speakers compared to the complete packs.

From the side of the complete packs: the clear advantage is that they create IR files with plenty of microphones so you can try many interesting alternatives in addition to the usual "studio standard" microphones like SM57, R121, M160 etc. On the other hand it can be a downside: we all know what it’s like when we have a million choices to choose from and we listen to them all along. Another advantage is that you can choose from IR files with premium quality preamps. (All IRs captured with a neutral power amp). I should also mention that although the selection of microphones is huge, the files made with each microphone do not contain many positions, although you will also find an EQ version along with other versions. Finally, if you are looking for mixes of multiple microphones, you will find a total of one such directory (quick start folder).

I recommend both Ownhammer and Choptones. Ownhammer (also) very popular, it is used a lot. If you haven't tried it yet I recommend the Heavy Hitters Collection for rock music.

Edited 3 times, last by balazs ().

• 0d7b988aefc21d5df226fa5dd141fdcd58abb096

Not at all. :thumbup:As you can see, the complete packs (Choptones) include only one type of speaker and cabinet and if you want to collect at least three packs to combine, it’s a little expensive. They have a very wide selection and that’s definitely good. For example the 2x12 Hesu cabinet with Hesu Demon speakers is not everywhere... and there is a 4 x 12 Hesu and a Mesa 4x12 version with the same Hesu speakers. It’s worth mentioning that in demonstration videos you often hear microphone mixes from the quick library.

I think try one of the blended packs first. It is cheaper and contains blended mics with two blended cabs. For high gain themes, I recommend the Hesu, Engl, Mesa and the Peavey 5150 blends.

• thanks man, i felt like i was pissing in the wind with this thread for a while. I have Ownhammer, ML, and York all great was just thinking if the Choptones ones are any good. I love their direct profiles so thats why i had to ask about the irs

cheers

IMHO you won't find any IR's that sound better than ML Sound Lab or York Audio