Second cab options - Marshall Code 50 with FX or Kone?

• I have a Code 50 collecting dust. I am considering using it for monitor out for my powered rack and Kab for home stereo setup for added fun. Should I use a Celestion FX or a Kone speaker for it? I understand The FX won't allow me to use Kone imprints but the Code has it's own cab sims. I wonder if using the two different speakers types for Left and Right would add more advantageous tones?

I've only used the Code for DAW is the past. The factory speaker is total crud.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Hi, BayouTexan.

Are you talking about replacing the "Custom Driver" (speaker) installed in the Marshall Code 50 with either a Celestion FX or Kemper Kone?

Is the Code 50 not functional now?

The CODE works fine. I only used it for DAW into studio monitors and muted the OEM speaker because it sounded pretty lame (boomy and boxy). I've heard others had swapped out the factory speaker for a Celestion FX and it turned into a pretty good sounding amp.

The CODE 50 is about the same exact physical size as the Kabinet (about 1-1/2" deeper). I'm thinking I should keep it and use as a monitor for Kemper and to do some stereo with the Kab. (In the Code, you can turn off all the effects, amp sims, and cab sims or just use the cab sims for flavor). I'm wondering which speaker replacement would be the best to pair up with the Kemper, FX or Kone? Would the FX add too much color if paired to my Kabinet?

Edited once, last by BayouTexan ().

• I have a Code 50 collecting dust. I am considering using it for monitor out for my powered rack and Kab for home stereo setup for added fun. Should I use a Celestion FX or a Kone speaker for it? I understand The FX won't allow me to use Kone imprints but the Code has it's own cab sims. I wonder if using the two different speakers types for Left and Right would add more advantageous tones?

I've only used the Code for DAW is the past. The factory speaker is total crud.

I have a Peavey Vypyr pro collecting dust too and I was wondering the same thing. The only thing stopping me is having a "Peavey Vypyr pro" on stage with me, a Kemper Kab or the Marshall Code would look so much cooler. - Nothing against Peavey but I'm just saying.

“I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.”

Dave Lee Roth of Van Halen - 1979

• All the Marshall Code amps I've seen have a thin masonite back that resonates like a kazoo at higher levels. That's the last device in the world I'd ever recommend for monitoring a modeler.

• All the Marshall Code amps I've seen have a thin masonite back that resonates like a kazoo at higher levels. That's the last device in the world I'd ever recommend for monitoring a modeler.

You just gorilla glue some wood fir strips on it.

• ....the Celestion K12H-200 which I believe is the basic speaker the Kone was based on. The FX200 is a different beast.

I don't think so... The K12 is only a $80 full range generic loudspeaker. The FX is a FRFR "guitar" modeling speaker and same price as the Kone.

The K12 magnet (pic 1) is thinner than the V30. The V30 is left and the FX is right (pic 2).

• Wheresthedug I think you are right about the Celestion K12 vs the Kone. I did more research and found that cheapo C-K12 looks to be the Kone. So why pay $180 if the Celestion is only $80. The magnets and cone design appear to be the same. I suppose the difference would be in the frequency response of the two. And Celestion has just come out with a "triple-cone" F12-X150 to complicate the matter. I could not find the graph for the Kone.

The first is the C-K12 which drops significantly at higher Hz. The second is the F12-200.

I read an article on here of someone using the C-K12 instead of the Kone and they sounded almost exact.

If I wanted to use the Code 50 strictly as a companion to the Kemper then I would go with the cheapo Celestion K12. But if I want to be able to use the Code independently sometimes then the F12-X200 would really send the Code over the top.

Decisions... Hmmm...

• the F12 goes way up to 20khz but guitars don’t produce anything worthwhile in that range hance the reason the K12 is used. The F12 has a crossover whereas the K12 has now crossover but a whizzer cone to extend to around 10khz

If we compare the flatter response from 1k to 10k then the F12 wins out. However, I have no idea how that translates to actual sound when comparing the two. I wish they allowed a few days to try one out, and return for credit for another model.

It wouldn't matter on freq from 10k -20k anyway since I am using filters at 8k. But the Code has input jack for music that could use the full range.

I'm back to the beginning not knowing what to decide. :/

Edited once, last by BayouTexan ().

• If you want to be able to use them as a matched stero pair and/or want to use imprints, I would opt for the Kone or the Celestion K12H-200 which I believe is the basic speaker the Kone was based on. The FX200 is a different beast.

My brother & I did an actual comparison with both new Kone & K12H-200TC by swapping both into the same cab. The high end on the K12H was noticeably louder and harsher , specifically at the 3.2 to 4khz range . We compensated by rolling off the frequency at about 3.4khz in the output section EQ which gave us as close a match as we could get and not bad if you don't mind locking up the EQ to roll off in that frequency range . I've read that a guy said he couldn't tell the difference which prompted my curiosity .... well i can definitely tell you that without rolling off the aforementioned frequency area that the K12H-200TC is annoying and does not replicate the Kone whizzer tweeter characteristic which is more subtle at that frequency range .

• One thing I haven't even attempted yet is to actually plug in the Code to monitor out to see what it sounds like - I just imagine that OEM speaker will sound bad because it sounded bad on it's own. I have an MXR 10 band I can throw in front just to see if it would be feasible to do a speaker upgrade. Maybe this weekend.