Powered or none powered for home only?

• Not long ago I sold my powered toaster and kabinet and bought a Captor X and a set of Yamaha HS8’s to use in conjunction with tube amps and while I’m enjoying that setup I find myself missing the Kemper. I miss having access to various vintage amps that I do not own and the effects. I thought the kabinet was kind of meh and only used it in FRFR mode 98% of the time and when I used super lead profiles I would use the D120f imprint which I did like.

So, I'm thinking of buying a used rack. I'm a bedroom warrior these days so I'm torn between a powered or none powered rack. I don't plan on running it through a traditional cabinet but can you still use the imprints with studio monitors and will they sound the same as they do via the kabinet?

• Hi, Chris4189.

Not long ago I sold my powered toaster and kabinet and bought a Captor X and a set of Yamaha HS8’s to use in conjunction with tube amps and while I’m enjoying that setup I find myself missing the Kemper. I miss having access to various vintage amps that I do not own and the effects. I thought the kabinet was kind of meh and only used it in FRFR mode 98% of the time and when I used super lead profiles I would use the D120f imprint which I did like.

So, I'm thinking of buying a used rack. I'm a bedroom warrior these days so I'm torn between a powered or none powered rack. I don't plan on running it through a traditional cabinet but can you still use the imprints with studio monitors and will they sound the same as they do via the kabinet?

Sorry. The Imprints are for use with the Kemper Kabinet or Kone - only.

They won't sound the same with studio monitors.

• Powered or unpowered is determined by your preferred monitor set up.

I would suggest for bedroom that unpowered is fine as most bedroom solutions use powered monitors. Also if you need to get an amp, its less of an issue as you don't have to carry it around to gigs ( one major advantage of powered...all self contained).

Imprints are specifically for amp in the room, so not designed for the purpose you describe. You are better to use the Studio profiles and change virtual cabs.

• I would go for the powered version because it is cost effective (cheaper) if you ever wanted to go the Kabinet route. I use the Kab at talking and whisper volumes at night and it works great.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.