Help needed with recording set up

• Hey KPA Forum

So please bare with me on this one. I am completely new to the digital world, the KPA, interfaces and recording. Having previously been tube amps and recording through mic's etc for the last 16 years.

My recording rig set up at present is

Kemper Powerhead

Focusrite Scarlett 4i4

Fender American P Bass

So i have the Bass going into the input of the KPA

KPA main outputs L+R 1/4" into the two front inputs of the Focusrite Scarlett

Focusrite Scarlett connected to Windows Laptop

When i open up Ableton Live Lite, the latency is over 290ms. The Kemper and the FCS are set to '48' and i am connecting with 1/4" TS Jacks, not SDPIF. I have the focusrite Control panel and this is showing the signal coming in when playing.

When i tested the set up out, i was using the laptop internal speakers (I plan on getting monitor speakers shortly) the lag between the note i was playing to the sound coming through the computer was horrendous.

So my question to you is, how do i set it all up to work properly. I am aware that the output sections of the KPA should be in a certain way, Git+Processing etc. How can i get this to work effectively ?

Is it Ableton, the KPA, or something else ?

I am a complete beginner to this, so i hope you understand.

Thank you

• A couple of important questions. Are you using ASIO in Ableton? What's the buffer size set to in the Focusrite device settings?

I have no idea to either with Ableton. I think it did say ASIO in ableton. I cannot find the buffer size in the focusrite settings, all i can find is 48khz

I have also got pro tools first and i have disconnected the Kemper and just going straight into the Focusrite and then into the laptop. It says the buffer rate is 512 for this.

• A couple of important questions. Are you using ASIO in Ableton? What's the buffer size set to in the Focusrite device settings?

So i have opened up ableton, without the kemper and it says the following,

Input Buffer size - 8192 Samples

Input Latency - 171ms

output Buffer Size - 4096 Samples

Output Latency - 85.3ms

Drive Error Compensation - 0.0

Overall latency - 259ms

• The Focusrite buffer size isn't visible in the Ableton settings. If you're using Windows, there may be a Focusrite icon in the taskbar. In my case, I have to right-click it and select Settings.

I have gone into the taskbar and the buffer settings on the 4i4 is 512, sample rate is 48, clock source Internal and clock status is synced

• with changing the drive to ASIO

What settings do i need to configure on the Kemper to ensure it is sending the right signal and not damaging or causing issues to the signal/kemper ?

Nothing. ASIO is simply the audio driver that Windows uses and is completely independent of the Kemper.

• I'm working on a "show and tell" for hooking of kemper to record and reamp with basic TS cables and interface.

I have my buffer size set at 64 and get 1.8ms and 4.8ms round trip @ 48K. You lower the buffer size down until you start to hear artifacts in your playback/recordings.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I'm working on a "show and tell" for hooking of kemper to record and reamp with basic TS cables and interface.

I have my buffer size set at 64 and get 1.8ms and 4.8ms round trip @ 48K. You lower the buffer size down until you start to hear artifacts in your playback/recordings.

thank you for sending this over. I will have a look at my set up and see what I can do around this.

Would I be best to manually lower the buffer rate ? It is currently 512. If I lower it to 64 would this improve my situation ?

• thank you for sending this over. I will have a look at my set up and see what I can do around this.

Would I be best to manually lower the buffer rate ? It is currently 512. If I lower it to 64 would this improve my situation ?

512 is way to high, IMO. I've gone as low as 32 but I would get weird artifact sounds when using delays and verb. 64 works well for me. Yes. you set it manually.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.