Best way to equalize volume between Strat and Les Paul

• Hi Everyone,

I'm new to Kemper so I apologize if this is a dumb question. I am playing mostly a Les Paul in my set, but for a few songs I am playing a strat. The volume level of the strat is obviously lower because of the single coils. What is the best way on the rigs where I am using the strat to bring the volume up so that when I switch on stage there isn't a sound volume drop for the sound guy. Thanks in advance for your help.

• Hi onlyagibson,

Welcome to the community. What model Profiler do you have? If it's not a Kemper Stage, do you have the Remote?

The easiest way I can think of to approach this.

1. Create one or more Performances you will use with the Les Paul
    2. Create one or more Performances you will use with the Strat

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Here's the welcome package of resources for you.

? Kemper Manuals and Quick Start guides ?

? Rig Manager Download and Documentation ??

? Kemper Tutorials & Demos (videos) ?

? Before you buy Commercial Rigs and Profiles check out the Rig Manager for Rig Packs and Rig Exchange

? Kemper FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

• Hi onlyagibson,

Welcome to the community. What model Profiler do you have? If it's not a Kemper Stage, do you have the Remote?

The easiest way I can think of to approach this.

1. Create one or more Performances you will use with the Les Paul
    2. Create one or more Performances you will use with the Strat

Thank you for the reply! I have a Kemper stage. I have set up separate performances for the Les Paul and the strat but what is the best way to boost the volume of the strat performances cleanly? I suppose I could put a boost pedal after the cabinet, but can I just cleanly raise the volume using the rig volume?it doesn't have to be perfect I just don't want a super noticeable drop in level.

• I assume you are noticing the volume drop on clean rigs mainly? Check out how to dial in Clean Sense. Do it for each guitar and save an Input section preset for both.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Thank you for the reply! I have a Kemper stage. I have set up separate performances for the Les Paul and the strat but what is the best way to boost the volume of the strat performances cleanly? I suppose I could put a boost pedal after the cabinet, but can I just cleanly raise the volume using the rig volume?it doesn't have to be perfect I just don't want a super noticeable drop in level.

Yes, you can adjust the Rig Volume.

Press the Rig button and you'll see it.

• I'm mostly using Lep Paul too and my KPA is almost always in browser mode.

so I've created an Input setting preset called Standard, then another one I use for Strat, where Clean Sense is at 6 dB...

one for Tele (+10dB), one for Acoustic (-6 dB),.. and so on.

Maybe it's not the best way to compensate differences in Volume but.. right now it seems it works. When You switch giutars You also switch Input Preset.

• I, personally, use the rig volume. In one of my setlists, where I use a Strat and a LP, mainly, the rig volume for the Strat patches in the rig menu are at +0.4 dB, while the LPs are at +0.0 dB.

Better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it! - Michael Angelo Batio

• There shouldn’t really be much of a volume difference with distorted rigs as distribution acts as a form of compression.

Therefore, it seems most likely that the volume differential is only really happening with clean sounds is that correct? If so create two input presets with different clean sense settings. There is no right or wrong figure for these just use your ears. As an example, Sollazzon uses 0db for Les Paul with increases of 6 and 10 db for Strat and Tele. Whereas I use -5db for nearly everything. Anything approaching 0db makes my clean sounds way louder than my distorted tones.

• Its pretty simple for me....I have different performances and adjust both volume and any other E.Q. or gain changes as well.

I run a Les Paul and Gretsch and I have sounds to suit the songs and guitar, so I have one performance for the Les Paul and one from Gretsch and volume balanced by ear.

But when I play the Gretsch, I also have a touch more gain and tweak the eq. I would not bother with boost pedals etc, I just use morph in addition to give more variation to cover all the songs I play with the Gretsch.