The good cabinets/speakers thread (plus poll on Kember Kabinet/Kone)

• What is the ultimate cabinet and speaker setup for the Kemper? 22

The result is only visible to the participants.

I'm really curious to know what kind of cabinets and speakers people are pairing with their Kempers.

We can have the results in the form of a survey:

1) Speaker configuration

1x12s/10x/8s? 2x12s/10s/8s? 4x12s/10s/6s? Something else?

2) Speakers

What speakers are you using in those cabs?

3) Cabinet construction

What kind of construction is the cabinet - open back, closed back, ported, front loaded, rear-loaded? What material is it made out of? Be descriptive.

4) Active/Passive (amplifier?)

Are you using an active speaker with your Kemper? Is your Kemper powered? What power amp are you using with your unpowered Kemper?

5) Wattage

How loud does your cab go?

6) Branded cabinet/Home-made (stock?)

Did you make the cab yourself, or did you buy one? Did you mod it?

7) Conclusions

Do you love it? Hate it? Why? Elaborate.

Multiple cabinets/cabinet setups are obviously welcome. I'll pitch in with my own inputs a little further in.

Plus, do answer the poll question: Is the Kemper Kabinet with the Kone the ultimate Kemper speaker? Or did you find the Kone was a better match in another cabinet? Or do you find the Kone is entirely unnecessary, and you'd rather go for a speaker and cabinet of your choice? Or do you recommend people just use FRFR and engage the cabinet section for the best Kemper experience?

• 1) Speaker configuration

A Kabinet, and a cabinet I had made locally (a Klone if you will) with a Kone in it.

2) Speakers

Kones in both

3) Cabinet construction

Kabinet MDF, and fairly close MDF clone in the locally made cabinet. It is a tad heavier but not by too much. Exact same dimensions.

Using a Seymour Duncan SD700 for stereo or mono

5) Wattage

Stupid loud!

1 Kabinet, and one locally made Klone cabinet

7) Conclusions

Love it/them! Can use single kabinet, two in stereo, or stack them for monster mono! Very versatile and glorious sounding. Zero regrets.

• OK - I voted mainly so I could keep an eye on this post. I am strongly considering the Kemper Kab plus a Seymour Duncan Power Stage 170 amp to go along with my stage.

1) Speaker configuration

Stereo 2 X12, Closed Back (Option

2) Speakers 2 x 12” Mission low frequency driver
    2 x 1” high frequency compression driver
    Titanium HF diaphragm
    Co-axial configuration

3) Cabinet construction

¾” void-free Baltic birch - Weight: 62 lbs (28.5kg)

Amp built into the speaker cabinet

5) Wattage

2 x 110W stereo - loud

Mission Engineering Gemini 2 - Stock

7) Conclusions

Fairly satisfied with results.

“I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.”

Dave Lee Roth of Van Halen - 1979

Edited once, last by sstauffer ().

• My inputs

Speaker configuration

1x12

2) Speakers

EVM12L

3) Cabinet construction

Thiele cabinet, baltic birch

Passive, using a Fryette Power Station II to power it. 50 tube Watts.

5) Wattage

Can go up to 200 Watts, but my power amp does 50.

Bought the Thiele cabinet without a speaker, then added the EVM12L

7) Conclusions

I like it, it is compact, loud, provides a good representation of the original profile and also plays surprisingly well with imprints. But I am always questioning whether I could do with a different cabinet - bigger enclosure, more speakers, different speakers, a mix of speakers... In that sense, my vote is for a non-Kabinet/Kone setup, at least until Kemper gives us the option to run two different imprints. Of course, take this with a pinch of salt: I've never owned a Kabinet or a Kone. Combining speakers can be magical however, like a Creamback and a V30 or whatever.

• Hi, nightlight

Is this

the same as running through my PA? Note, there are no cabinets in this scenario.

Hi ST, I have added an option for this. I had earlier thought this would be under FRFR (since there really is no such thing as FRFR). Just basically a flat system like a good PA, but this is good.

If anyone is using studio monitors, this would be under FRFR.

• I'm using the Kab as a "stage" speaker cab at home (behind me) while stereo main outs go to JBL 306's 112W (in front).

1) Speaker configuration

1x12

2) Speakers

Kone

3) Cabinet construction

Kabinet

Powered Rackmount

5) Wattage

200W

Kemper

7) Conclusions

Love it. Hate the cost since I recently found out the speaker is modeled after an $80 Celestion K12.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

Edited once, last by BayouTexan ().

• Just for fun configuration

1) Speaker configuration

Stereo cabs - 2 x EV M12G

2) Speakers

EVM-12L Series II

3) Cabinet construction

Enclosure Materials and Colors:

Sealed, one-piece moulded black textured polyethylene enclosure.

Dimensions:

41.4 cm (16.3 in.) high,

45.7 cm (18.0 in.) wide.

39.1 cm (15.4 in.) deep Net Weight:

3. kg (31.51b)

Shipping Weight:

4. kg (36.0 lb.)

Active

5) Wattage

2 x 125 watts RMS into 8 ohms - Class D

Stupid loud (at least 110 dB SPL at one meter). I would NEVER run them that loud.

These were made by EV in the 90s specifically to be used as stage wedge monitors for guitarists.

7) Conclusions

I would never drag a pair of these to a gig. Including the amps and cables, that's over 80 pounds just for guitar amplification.

But just for fun - the amp in the room thing is real.

My gig rig is a Bose L1. I use it for vocals and guitar. I'll choose which model based on the size and layout of the venue.

• I've used the Bose L1 for over a year as well. Also for guitar and vocal. Works a treat!

• Fill us in? Specs, etc. I understand it would serve as both a personal monitor as well as a PA simultaneously. I think paults uses one and maybe Zappledan too.

I have an LD Systems Maui 11 and Yamaha DXR8 and DXR10. I've been reasonably happy with all of them for use with duo and single act performances. I use some/all of them depending on the venue.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• I have an LD Systems Maui 11 and Yamaha DXR8 and DXR10. I've been reasonably happy with all of them for use with duo and single act performances. I use some/all of them depending on the venue.

I used an L1 for my guitar for quite awhile, for band gigs, and also for solo acoustic gigs, for guitar and vocal. Mine was the first generation, large base plate model, and I used it with a single sub. I ended up getting a DXR10 for my guitar, and sold the Bose when I decided I didn’t want to do solo gigs at that point.

Good info. Fill up the form and vote in the poll, gents!

• Fill us in? Specs, etc. I understand it would serve as both a personal monitor as well as a PA simultaneously. I think paults uses one and maybe Zappledan too.

Like paults I have a Bose L1 MII with a single bass module. With the T1 mixer I had my mic and Kemper into it. I've used it at our gig/practice studio for about a year. This fills the space perfectly. The space holds about 100 people.

Last gig we did out was a 300 person wedding and for that I took the DXR10, mostly because it's one piece instead of 5.

Haven't been back there since the covid thing started, so we'll see how the single or dual Kabinets do with my vocal back in the house PA.

• My previous post was about when I was using the L1. Here is the rest of the story:

I’ve not used the DXR10 since I got Kabinet. It works really well for me. It is so much easier to get musical feedback with it than with PA-style cabinets.

I noticed that too. I can't wait to try it out again on stage.

• 1) Speaker configuration

2x12

2) Speakers

England-made Celestion V30s

3) Cabinet construction

Closed back, 18-mm birch ply, woven speaker grill. 30.71 X 20.86 X 14.76″, 28kg.

Passive. Using a Fryette Power Station-II to push it. 50 tube watts.

5) Wattage

120 watts, 16 ohm

Orange PPC212

7) Conclusions

If I'm not finicky about profiles being replicated exactly as they were created, or using my own DI profiles, I get some excellent results from this cab. Part of the reason is that the speakers are well-broken in, so you don't get that shrillness you do from new V30s. They're also English V30s, so that may also be a contributing factor. Given that V30s are suited for some styles of music, I can't really recommend this cab for everybody though, especially if you are not into the V30 sound. The new ones are also fitted with Chinese V30s, so that may not suit everybody. It does have its uses in a setting where I want more dispersion than a 1x12.

Have a couple of other cabs as well. A 4x12 Emperor and a Friedman 2x12 that is about to land. Will add my inputs when possible.