Kemper over driven

• Hello all!

I recently just bought the kemper powered profile rack mount. I’m still diving in and learning. Over the years of learning trial and error I’ve actually just stated getting great amp tones micing through my vox into a 1073 and retro but It’s been getting harder to mic up my amps with work, my little ones which leaves me to only getting time in at night. Looking for the kemper to be a solution to recording at night and getting great overdriven tones for rock. The Micheal Britt profiles so far sound better as far as profiles I purchased. I’m still tweaking a lot with the overdriven profiles. I feel it’s good but lacking a little. Newbie questions has anyone ran there’s through outboard gear ? Also any tricks to get a better sound ? I have been messing with the eqs taking out some bass adding treble and presence.

• If you have a Vox a 1073 and experience I would highly recommend finding an afternoon when the family are out an making your own profiles of exactly the tones you want. You can then use them at any volume any time you want without trying to tweak other people’s idea of a great sound to match your own.

^^^ This. Take the time to mic it ten ways from Sunday.

The beauty of the Kemper is you can get a great sound from note one. The trick, as you're learning, is getting the great sound you hear *in* your head.

No piece of gear gives that up all that easily. At least none I've found.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Thank you yes as I’m learning I’m exited to profile my own rig ! Doing some basement repairs but once it’s done it’s go time for some profiling. I’m glad I made this purchase just like anything just taking time to learn and experiment.

• I would also keep trying different profiles. Tweak a bit but if you are not feeling it, move on.

Also be aware, the sound in the room is very different to miked sound. However, if you get a good miked sound from your Vox, the Kemper sound get a very close profile. Don't forget to refine :)

• Thank you yes as I’m learning I’m exited to profile my own rig ! Doing some basement repairs but once it’s done it’s go time for some profiling. I’m glad I made this purchase just like anything just taking time to learn and experiment.

I'm not what I'd call a gear-whore, but I've certainly bought and sold my share of gear over the years.

The longer I've had my Kemper, the more satisfied I've become. Pretty sure that's the first time that's ever happened.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Lol I’ve been down that road buy gear sell it trade it ect ... oh such a rabbit hole ! I know I will start to appreciate it especially being that I can just plug right in and go ! I’ve really like the Micheal Britt and other suggestions? Thanks

I've made several Profiles of my Jubilee, and after eight years, they are still my main live sounds (along with some other free, and not so free Rigs), The ability to use your own favorite amp at any volume cannot be overstated. :)

• I have the Michael Britt they are good a little dark. Like I said I’m still learning a lot with the kemper. Eq ect... I’ll check them out too

The quest for tone is a constant trip most of us as guitar players take. As some said before, the sound from a miced amp and a amp in the room is different. Coincidentally, the profiles which I find sound more "in the room" are the M Britt ones, so I bet you like them because of that. If you look for perfect tone, one of the main tools I use is the graphic eq, put it after the amp and cab, and tweak each frequency, hear what it does, and just adjust to taste (in my experience, more than 3dB lower or higher is too much, except on the top and bottom frequency), that way you can add and substract a lot of different characteristics. From there, you can always dive into the amp parameters, play with definition and clarity (they do what they say for the most part), add a bit more amp compression and check it playing, also check if you perceive the tube sag differences. Finally, there is pure cabinet, I would mostly turn it off, but you can experiment, it smooths the spikes in the higher frequencies, which is more or less desirable in several profiles.

You have a pletora of possibilities, they gave you a lot of topics, but I think you wont be dissapointed. And remember making your adjustments at rehearsal volume. If you want your amp to do something specific or feel like something is lacking, with more details we can also help.

The answer is 42

• Try setting your high and low filters on page 5 of the Output section. I find that works best to start before messing with amp EQs and such.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.