Windows 10 Issue

• Recently downloaded Rig Exchange on my PC. but everytime I use it with the cable connected to my kemper stage, my PC crashes and mouse and keyboard eventually become unresponsive. I uninstalled Rig Exchange and re-installed and it worked for about a day or two with no issues until just now. This only happens when I am using rig exchange and connected to the kemper stage. I have the latest version downloaded as well. Any ideas what this could be?

• my PC crashes and mouse and keyboard eventually become unresponsive.

Could you offer specifics about what "crashes" means? Knowing the exact symptoms helps with the troubleshooting.

Also, keep an eye on Windows updates. I've seen a pattern with Cubase and my audio interface where everything runs fine one day, the next day something goes glitchy on me. Sometimes it's obvious that an update happened because after the reboot they'll display a "let's get started" page. Other times I know it's happened because of certain programs that only start at boot time. In either case, rebooting the PC again seems to settle things down.

I don't know how techie you are, but one way to get a clear indication that your computer has been rebooted would be to create a Notepad file somewhere with text like, "Hi there. I've rebooted!" then press the Windows key + R and type in shell:startup. this will launch the startup folder. Drag a shortcut to your text file there, and every time you reboot you'll see notepad started telling you displaying whatever text you put in the file.

If you don't leave your computer up 24/7 like I do, when you boot there's an even better chance that there will be updates waiting for you. In any event, if Rig Manager goes wonky on you, try a reboot without reinstalling anything and see if that gives you results. If it does, you can put Windows Update on your mental checklist.

For another thing to look at, bring up Device Manager. In the View menu, click "Show Hidden Devices." Now expand the Sound, video and game controllers node. Right click the Kemper Profiler and see if it's reporting that it's working properly. If not, make note of the error and post it here. Also note if you see more than one entry for the Kemper.

That's what comes to mind off the top of my head. Let me know the info and I'll help further if I'm able.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• I’m very new to windows 10 so I’m not too savvy with it yet. I def am going to try a couple of your suggestions. But to answer your first question, by crashes I mean out of nowhere the mouse cursor will move but won’t actually click anything. And the keyboard stops working. Cant even hit the windows button or any back door shut downs. Yesterday i was using Spotify with rig manager and kemper all hooked up to my pc and Spotify froze as well; rather it glitched and just kept repeating the same line lol. When this happens the only option I have is to use the power button and power off and then power on. When I power back on, it doesn’t tell me there were any errors or issues. Nothing in my error report log either. And like I said, so far this has only happened when I’m using rig manager hooked up to my kemper

• For another thing to look at, bring up Device Manager. In the View menu, click "Show Hidden Devices." Now expand the Sound, video and game controllers node. Right click the Kemper Profiler and see if it's reporting that it's working properly. If not, make note of the error and post it here. Also note if you see more than one entry for the Kemper.

That's what comes to mind off the top of my head. Let me know the info and I'll help further if I'm able.

So I checked this part and it says the Kemper Profiler is working properly. I can update the driver, should I do that? But I can confirm that my system's error report doesnt show anything regarding this issue

• If it says the device is working properly then your driver is probably fine.

Another thing you could try is to launch the Event Viewer. Look under Windows Logs, Application. You can right click on Application and select Filter Current Log. In the dialog box that comes up, I usually check Critical and Error first to see what jumps out at me. Warnings are sometimes helpful but often just offer a lot of extra noise that gets in the way.

If your box is locking up, there's a good chance there are some errors. See if you can find anything that's around the same time of your lockups and it might help point to the culprit.

Sometimes Application A (RM or the USB for the Stage) freaks out because Something B needs to be updated. As an example, a while back I was getting lockups on a box that turned out to be related to my video card needing a new driver. I usually find the breadcrumbs to track this kind of thing via the Event Viewer.

Edited once, last by Chris Duncan ().

• Very interesting mate. Yeah, I checked the Event Viewer per your suggestion. No errors/issues related to kemper. There is one common error I've been getting the last few days and it's something like "officec2rclient.exe" or something like that (apologies I should've wrote it down last night and am not near my PC now). I'm pretty sure it's got something to do with my Microsoft Office account so idk if that would be the culprit. But, again, like I stated earlier, the "crash" only happens when I have kemper hooked up to PC via cable and Rig Manager is being used.

• That seems to be related to Office licensing.

Whether an app is the culprit or the victim isn't always clear. Obviously there's some bad interaction happening somewhere that's triggered by RM, but it may not be the bit of software that actually locks up your box, e.g. RM pisses off another bit of software, and in it's unhappy state the latter does something evil to the system to lock up. So, when I look in the event log for errors I'm not necessarily looking for message from the app I care about like RM, but rather anything and everything bad that's happening around the time the box locks up.

Is there any other software that's been installed around the time of your first Rig Manager installation? That's another thing I look for. Computers are useless without software, and yet the most evil thing you can do to a computer is install software. If there were other things that were installed around the time that you first put RM on your box, I would try uninstalling those, uninstalling RM, then putting RM back on to see if it plays nice in that context.

Another thing that I'd check is the version of RM and the version of the Kemper OS. I think they're usually pretty good about enforcing version x requires version y, but you might post both to see if there are any known issues with that particular combination.

This sort of bug hunt can be frustrating to say the least, made all the worse by the fact that your Windows environment is constantly changing whether you want it to or not.

Edited once, last by Chris Duncan ().

• I hear ya mate, like I said Im brand new to the Windows world. I have to turn the PC off every night because Sleep mode lasts all of maybe 5-10 minutes before it wakes up LOL. I put in a ticket with Kemper Support so maybe they can help me troubleshoot step by step to find an issue somewhere