Kernel used in firmware

• I thought I read somewhere here on the forum that somebody had tried to connect it to a computer and found a webserver?

If the RJ45 port is a serial port then it shouldn't be hard to build an RS232 adapter, and perhaps connect a null-modem debugger? :D
    Darn. I won't get my hands on one until I get back from the US in a few weeks. X(

• Yes there is a webserver running on the LAN connector on the Kemper, I already plugged mine in and my router found a new device which requested and SET an IP address. That is all I know so far.

• I stand corrected!

Looking forward to more development on this!

Maybe we could connect KPA to a portable Wi-Fi Router, and then control the KPA wirelessly using TB MIDI Stuff, TouchOSC or Lemur on iPad ?

If the internal server can control midi parameters.. that would be pretty neat. Yes wireless would be dooable!

• The DSP of the Kemper is a Motorola (now named Freescale I think). So the actual DSP-code doesn't run on an ARM so I wonder what the ARM does in the Kemper - if there is any that is. Maybe GUI and storage management or network functions like the built in webserver that a user found in the KPA once.

ARM7TDMI-S is the Central Processing unit of Kemper.

[Blocked Image: http://s24.postimg.org/4jzndtvg5/arm7.jpg]

• Hmm, makes sense that they need a separate DSP chip for audio.
    Linux isn't a real-time OS! You usually have to overcompensate the hardware to make guarantees about frame timings.
    Linux is only cheap if your time is worthless. ^^

:thumbdown:
    Linux can run on a realtime kernel mister.
    Linux is running inside more boxes than you may think.

"Linux is only cheap if your time is worthless." Only true if you are dependent of a mouse ;)

• :thumbdown:
    Linux can run on a realtime kernel mister.
    Linux is running inside more boxes than you may think.

"Linux is only cheap if your time is worthless." Only true if you are dependent of a mouse ;)

I haven't coded for *NIX since the early days when Xenix / BSD / etc. had PC versions, but my very first job was for QNX, which truly was a real time, interrupt driven architecture. You could request and reliably get an interrupt at exactly every x milliseconds, etc. They couldn't compete with MS and ended up targeting the embedded market, which is where I believe they still live.

And that's about all I remember of that world before becoming a card carrying member of Microsoft's "API of the Week" club. But it pays the bills.

My understanding of Linux, which is purely anecdotal, second hand information, is that it more closely resembles AT&T's System V, i.e. the typical round robin scheduling, etc., which would make me inclined to believe that it's not natively wired for realtime applications. Do factor this in with a very heavy dose of, "I really don't know what the hell I'm talking about," of course.

That said, one of the cool things about Linux and open source stuff is the fact that, well, it's open source. I don't know how much work it would take, but I see no reason people wouldn't try to mod the kernel for realtime work, since it's used as an embedded OS in so many devices these days.

Of course, embedded != realtime. They're different things that may or may not be present at the same time.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• The PROFILER does not run Linux.

Actually, that makes me feel better. FOSS is great for a lot of things, but there's a vulnerability as well since by definition everyone has the source to your stuff.

Whatever it is you guys use (or rolled on your own), it's very responsive.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10