SPDIF clicking problem

• I recently switched to a new audio interface. A Presonus Quantum 2626.
    I connected my SPDIF cable like I did with my previous interface. But for some reason a digital click got introduced.

I'm familiar with clicks, pops and noise when you got the internal/external clock wrong. But this is not the case in my setup. Also the sample rate is matched.

The clicks are only noticable when using high gain/distortion. It's a rhytmic click that goes like tsk tsk tsk tsk and slowly fades out. In sync with the chord I hit on my guitar. Almost like someone hitting a hihat in the background.

Any idea?

• How about the input on the kemper? Does it hit read all the time when using high gain profiles? Have you updated to the last drivers on the interface? Does other users of the interface have the same or similar problem?

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• How about the input on the kemper? Does it hit read all the time when using high gain profiles? Have you updated to the last drivers on the interface? Does other users of the interface have the same or similar problem?

Updated to the latestest drivers, yes. What do you mean with "read all the time"?
    Thanks.

• SonusStudios,

Have you tried raising the buffer in your DAW?

I recently bought a Quantum 2626 about a month ago. I almost returned it several times. (probly too late now...) Anyway, I did test the SP-DIF just to see if it worked. I'm using it with a PC into Reaper DAW. I also got clicks going on, which I just assumed the SPDif couldn't handle the low buffer that the other inputs could. I had the SPDIF panned right, and a mic input panned left. You could hear they were out of phase, and the SP-Dif was arriving into the DAW later than the mic input. So, I choose to stick with the mic input after that short test, I didn't test the amount of delay, but it was very apparent (longer) than the mic input.

What do you think of the Quantum 2626 so far?

Here's my experience, let me know if you found any workarounds for these!:

The BAD:

* Pretty frustrated that it didn't include a thunderbolt cable. It's fine if they don't want to do that even for $600, but make it clear on the website, make it clear on the box, make it clear inside the box, make it clear on the retailer's website. "Thunderbolt cable not included" There was no way to know, or even suspect before I got it, and then had to waste a week chasing one down.

* No mixing or monitoring software. No monitoring input, no output unless being used with your DAW. No direct monitoring. Every interface I've ever had has had direct monitoring and mixer software before. Totally changes how to record. Everything has to be done in the daw- routing, etc. It's just a dead brick without the DAW. If it was a $50 interface, or even $150 ok, but for $600 I was really expecting mixer software. Again, it wasn't clear on their website (or I missed it).

* Getting audio dropouts using other programs, like YouTube, etc. Especially if you have the DAW open and switch to youtube (again you have to have the DAW open to hear the KEMPER) Sometimes it'll play one video on YouTube, click a 2nd one, all audio stops. I've been working with Presonus support for over a week or so, still no improvement.

The GOOD:

* Mic inputs sound very good with guitar and bass direct, as well as the Kemper.

* Latency is very low. I can run a Reaper session at 32 samples buffer, with tons of fx and virtual instruments, master fx on, and record monitor the Kemper with great performance. I could likely run it lower if I turned off a lot of the fx...

* Timing accuracy for recording is excellent!! This was always an issue for me with previous interfaces. Reaper allows for adjusting the actual vs. reported interface latency when recording. This is important if you want what you played to line up in time exactly as you played it after recording.

With previous interfaces, the difference I had to adjust was always hundreds of samples. It would always change as well, so I would always have to check it, very frustration, sometimes it would be 150 samples, sometimes 194, always fluctuate. Anyway, with the Quantum 2626, it's only 3 samples difference! Also it never fluctuates, it's always exactly 3 samples, really excellent there.

Are you running on PC or Mac?

Edited once, last by Lobsta ().

• SonusStudios,

Have you tried raising the buffer in your DAW?

Yeah, always playing around with it. Trying to see how far I can push it.
    So far it didn't affect the SPDIF clicks I'm getting.
    So you got clicks as well. Hmm interesting. I'm pretty sure I tried everything possible to get rid of it. I'm starting to wonder if it's simply a hardware issue.
    And just like you I usually end up using a XLR input. I have tons of cables going everywhere so that isn't an issue in the end. Still hope I somehow can get a solution though.

Yeah, lots of people complaining about the lack of a TB cable. I was prepared as it's the same with my Apollo X4 so I bought a 2m cable. Costing 50 dollars. And there's quite some conflicting info regarding the cables. Some say you shouldn't use cables longer than 1m. So it was a risky buy. But no problems at all! StarTech is the brand, for those reading this in the future looking for similar info.

Regarding the no direct monitoring. It's actually a feature and not a lack of...
    The interface is built to monitor through a DAW. And to keep it as fast as possible they removed all the other stuff like a internal mixer and direct monitoring. The result is one of the lowest latency interfaces on the market. Which is why I bought it.

To get rid of the no playback issue when opening other programs, you have to open the Universal Control software and click the ADAT menu.
    Stupid workaround but it works fine for me. But they need to fix it for sure.

The mic inputs are very good indeed and the latency super low.
    As I mentioned, I own an Apollo X4 which is awesome for direct monitoring with many plugins running. But TBH, the 2626 can pretty much do the same at this point. So I'm considering selling the X4 and buying the cheapest Universal Audio interface so I can keep my plugins, which I really like.

Universal Audio has problems with their chips so they raised their prices a lot. I can probably sell my 2nd hand X4 for the same price as when I bought it at this point. The demand for 2nd hand devices is big right now.

But I might keep it. Because it's just an awesome machine.

For direct monitoring it's perfect. For anything else it's not. The latency is bad. Way worse than many cheaper interfaces.

I'm running it on a PC with a Thunderbolt AIC.

Again, for those reading this in the future, looking for info: stay away from the Asus ThunderboltEX3 card. It will make your life a living hell. Buy the Gigabyte one :)

• Regarding the no direct monitoring. It's actually a feature and not a lack of...
    The interface is built to monitor through a DAW. And to keep it as fast as possible they removed all the other stuff like a internal mixer and direct monitoring. The result is one of the lowest latency interfaces on the market. Which is why I bought it.

Interesting. It's really a different way of recording for me. Hopefully I'll get used to it, and appreciate it soon.

Yeah, lots of people complaining about the lack of a TB cable. I was prepared as it's the same with my Apollo X4 so I bought a 2m cable. Costing 50 dollars. And there's quite some conflicting info regarding the cables. Some say you shouldn't use cables longer than 1m. So it was a risky buy. But no problems at all! StarTech is the brand, for those reading this in the future looking for similar info.

To get rid of the no playback issue when opening other programs, you have to open the Universal Control software and click the ADAT menu.
    Stupid workaround but it works fine for me. But they need to fix it for sure.

Thanks for the tips!!

I'll try the ADAT tip right away.

I'm running it on a PC with a Thunderbolt AIC.

Again, for those reading this in the future, looking for info: stay away from the Asus ThunderboltEX3 card. It will make your life a living hell. Buy the Gigabyte one :)

Yeah, I have the Gigabyte Designare. So far, so good!

One other plus for the 2626 I forgot to mention:

* Re-amping with the Kemper. (recording a D.I. track, then going back later, sending a signal back to the Kemper and recording with a different profile) I've tried it a couple times so far, sounds fantastic, very easy setup. I'm not using any kind of reamp box, just 1/4" cables, but the sound quality is great, no buzzing, humming, or excess noise. I'm still sort of testing it out, and haven't figured out yet how to ensure the re-amped tracks come back perfectly adjusted in time in Reaper, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. Pretty impressed with the tone, though.