CLEAR differences between Kemper through Interface and Direct..

• Hi people, this is my first question after a few weeks with my new and first Kemper (Stage). I've just discovered a "clear" difference on the sound of the Kemper between listening to it directly (headphones) and by passing it through my interface in order to listen to the full mix.

Durings these weeks I experienced a "good" sound coming from my Stage, but I knew that Kemper is quite more than "good". Something in the sound was not extremely high end. Today I tried to listen to the Kemper direct to my headphones and WOW, that was the sound I knew the Kemper has. It is richer and fuller. I have been trying about 20 times the headphones cable between the audio interface and the kemper and yes, the difference was clearly there.

I'm using a RME Babyface I (the blue one) and my headphones are the Beyer DT770 250 ohms. I am connecting the Kemper through 2 XLR cables to both line inputs on my RME. The signal has a correct volume and everything is ok, BUT the sound is not as awesome as it can gets ;(;(X(. The cables are the typical cheap ones from Thomann that costs about 6 or 7 € each.

I hope you can help me! What could I do. Thank you guys.

PD: this Babyface has not SPDIF :rolleyes:. Is there a way to send from the SPDIF to the ADAT without losing info?

• The difference between Kemper headphone out and main out is that headphone has the Space effect active by default. Try adding try unticking the space to headphones only box which will make the main out the same as headphones.

From the manual:

Space

The “Space” parameter adds a small room simulation to the master signal. This makes listening through headphones far more enjoyable.

A brief explanation: whenever you listen to a sound coming from loudspeakers, you are also hearing the reflections from the floor, the walls and objects around you. Even when you listen to a mono signal, these additional reflections will still result in a stereo image once they reach your ears. There is only one common situation where no natural reflections happen, and that is when you listen through headphones; as your ears are, biologically speaking, not suited to this, it can quickly lead to listener fatigue. This effect is called “in-the-head localization” and becomes particularly noticeable when you listen to a mono signal.

By using the Space effect, you can add virtual reflections, to create a sense of room and natural space. A mono signal will be converted to a subtle stereo image, which should be far more pleasing to your ears. Even though this effect is designed for headphones, you may also find it appropriate for listening through regular speakers, or for recording. By selecting the option “Space>HeadphOnly”, you can select whether it is applied to the HEADPHONE output only, or to the MAIN OUTPUT as well.

You can also apply the Space effect to individual Rigs, rather than activating it globally in the Output Section. In this case, simply use the TYPE knob to select it in either the X or MOD effect.

The Space effect is also very useful for improving the sound of in-ear monitors on stage. Unfortunately, in most situations, both stage-monitoring and FOH are derived from the MAIN OUTPUT - as a result, the effect will appear on the main PA as well. As long as you use Space at a suitably low Intensity setting, it will not be noticeable on the PA sound, but will still create a reasonable effect on your in-ear monitors. Needless to say, the monitor signal must be supplied in stereo for Space to have the desired effect.

• That is very interesting! I have changed that and yes, I can notice the feeling you say but it is still clearly the perfect sound of the rig. I mean, using the KPA's headphones output and Space effect OFF it is still clearly noticeable the difference between direct and through interface.

I think there is a preamp in your interface. Try to turn the preamp off and you’ll get the right tone.

I will check that but I'm almost sure it has no preamp activated before.

This could be a good solution to try :/:/

Thank you all guys! I will post further details if I make some improvements on this. Still open to other ideas :)

• I'm pretty convinced (unless I misread something) that what you experience is the sound of the Kemper headphone out/amp, which is far from transparent. The sound difference (I experience) is far too big to be explained by preamps, space, etc. etc.

Nikolaj

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• That is very interesting! I have changed that and yes, I can notice the feeling you say but it is still clearly the perfect sound of the rig. I mean, using the KPA's headphones output and Space effect OFF it is still clearly noticeable the difference between direct and through interface.

Make sure the volume is the same when listening directly through the Kemper and your interface.

• I just tried running the headphone out into my Apollo Twin 1 input, while having the normal Kemper output feed into input 2. I thought I heard a rather big difference between the two.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Headphone out is my favorite way to both record and run into my amp live.

Well - there you have it :)

I don’t think you can turn the Space effect off on the headphone out. It is always active there but you can turn it on or off on the main out.

• I just tried running the headphone out into my Apollo Twin 1 input, while having the normal Kemper output feed into input 2. I thought I heard a rather big difference between the two.

Wow, and which one is better or more accurate to you?

Headphone out is my favorite way to both record and run into my amp live.

When using the headphone out for recording, you would be sending only one stereo cable?. I notice the bigger difference with high gain profiles.

I don’t think you can turn the Space effect off on the headphone out. It is always active there but you can turn it on or off on the main out.

At least in the Stage you can untick the Space effect, which I guess means a complete deactivation.

Thank you guys, I'm quite newbie in terms of connections cause I have always worked direct to the interface using Bias, Amplitube, etc.

• At least in the Stage you can untick the Space effect, which I guess means a complete deactivation.

i’m not sure as I have a PowerHead and haven’t used a Stage but there is no mention of it in the manual which covers both units. In the Head/Rack the Space tickbox only turns on/off the effect to the Main Outs as it is always on in the Headphones. Maybe someone else with a Stage can confirm this. What is the actual wording of the tickbox?

• i’m not sure as I have a PowerHead and haven’t used a Stage but there is no mention of it in the manual which covers both units. In the Head/Rack the Space tickbox only turns on/off the effect to the Main Outs as it is always on in the Headphones. Maybe someone else with a Stage can confirm this. What is the actual wording of the tickbox?

So, that has been modified in the Stage, here you can can see it's specific for headphones.

• Wow, and which one is better or more accurate to you?

When using the headphone out for recording, you would be sending only one stereo cable?. I notice the bigger difference with high gain profiles.

At least in the Stage you can untick the Space effect, which I guess means a complete deactivation.

Thank you guys, I'm quite newbie in terms of connections cause I have always worked direct to the interface using Bias, Amplitube, etc.

yes, one stereo cable into the Audio In of my amp and then a y-splitter and two 1/4” into my Apogee Duet.

• If not mentioned before, an audio interface can be set up so that both the incoming channel inputs AND the master out that you're listening to both contain the guitar, which causes a weaker and phasey sound.

In my set up I use the software mixer that came with the Presonus unit to mute the input track.