Which headphones with my profiler stage?

• Hi!

I'm looking for headphones for my Kemper.

I tweak my profiles at home with the headphones so I'm looking for one that will sound like my kabinet or my FRFR cab in order to not have to tweak too much my profiles when I rehearsal.

I used to have a AKG 702, and it wasn't a good experience.

Any suggestions? A beyerdynamic dt770 pro? Or the 990?!

Thx

• Hi Jenfi1979 :)

I HIGHLY recommend the Audio Technica ATH M40x headphones for using with the Kemper and/or mixing.

The Audio-Technica M50x headphones are more commonly recommended but I personally wouldn't go for those. They're a little more expensive and more popular but, they're also way more hyped in certain frequency ranges so they're more for listening to music and consumer audio. The low end gets boomy fast and the high end gets ice picky, and the mid range is kind of scooped compared more flat response headphones.

The Audio Technica M40x headphones are more affordable and have a flatter and cleaner response and in my opinion they sounded clearer in comparison. They honestly sound great and really surprised me.

I've compared the Audio-Technica M40x's to the M50x's, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's (too quiet when used with most stuff without proper power), Sony MDR-7506, Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, and a few others that I can't seem to remember off the top of my head lol.

But the ATH-M40x's sounded cleanest and had really clear and open mid-range, and they're surprisingly loud lol. AND they're one of the more affordable options.

Don't let the price fool you, the ATH-M40x's can compete with headphones way outside their price range.

Its worth at least getting them to compare side by side with other options you're interested in. If you can afford it, get the ones you're interested in and compare them side by side. That's the best way to make sure you're picking whichever best suits you ?

(sorry for the long post! Lol I spent a bunch of time choosing and comparing headphones when getting my first pair and hopefully this will either save you some trouble, or help give you some more info and a new perspective :) Hope this helps!)

• I don't agree with the review above concerning the M50x, they are killer and I never experienced ice pick/boominess. I also have Sennheiser HD600 that are also great and slightly more "neutral" perhaps (maybe by virtue of the fact of being open back) but for almost half the price in my area, the M50x are definitely more bang for the bucks.