Apollo users XLR to XLR ? Avoid Hi-Z?

• Hey guys, Is it ok to go XLR Kemper to XLR input on the Apollo? Someone mentioned I should go XLR from Kemper to TRS input on the Apollo. Does this really make a difference?

Sometimes I get what feels like a little distortion even on cleans it is small. Faint but there at times. I am not overloading the DAW though.

Edited once, last by keano12 ().

• Hey guys, Is it ok to go XLR Kemper to XLR input on the Apollo? Someone mentioned I should go XLR from Kemper to TRS input on the Apollo. Does this really make a difference?

Sometimes I get what feels like a little distortion even on cleans it is small. Faint but there at times. I am not overloading the DAW though.

If it sounds good, it is good. You are hitting the mic preamps though using XLR, so that's probably the distortion you are experiencing.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• If the XLR inputs on your interface activate the mic preamp you should either use regular TS cables to connect a line level device like the Profiler or XLR to TRS if you have long cable runs and want a balanced connection. Sending a line level signal to a device that is set to mic sensitivity is generally a bad choice.

• Hey everyone thank you for the responses. I got a xlr to trs and it works fine. Few other questions.

1. That big sound I hear in the kemper is kind of lost I’m guessing because I’m only using one out. If I used 2 cables left and right would I retain the exact same sound I hear in the kemper?

2. I’m used to recording guitars in mono. Are there situations where recording in stereo is better? Big cleans with fx?

Thank you

• Two channels will be louder also. I would use spdif personally. Another possible change - effects like Kemper Space which you hear on the headphone output may work better in stereo and they can be set up to appear on the line outs or not. Check your settings.

• "Hey guys, Is it ok to go XLR Kemper to XLR input on the Apollo?"

Yes it's ok. it won't damage anything. It's how I usually do it. I also do SPDIF. But you'll need a spdif to coaxial converter. (14 bucks on amazon) then you're saving 2 inputs and staying digital and it's stereo. https://www.amazon.com/Optical…coaxia%2Caps%2C154&sr=8-3

good idea in this device

Guitar: Fender Strat HSS<3 Schecter Custom Solo II

Signal Chain: Kemper->AxeFX 3>Neural QC>Apollo Twin->M-Audio Monitors

Computer:Mac Studio