Monitor Volume Issue

• Last couple times I rehearsed (pre-COVID), I remembered everytime I turned my headrush monitor volume up (using the knob on the back of the monitor) it increased my volume coming out of the PA as well, which I didn't want. And it didn't always behave that way. How can I counter this and just turn my monitor volume up without affecting FOH volume?

• Maybe i dont understand it right, but what Outputs are you using from the Kemper? I think the Main Outputs. Why you not connect your Kemper Monitor out to the Headrush? The you could dial in the right volume for the Headrush and the Main Outputs to your Foh is not touched! Check your Output Menu!

• I know you were asking BayouTexan but that would be the preferred way to send the monitor output to the Headrush and the Main output to FOH. In the output section they recommend that you use the -12db. I would also set the main volume level somewhere between 0 and - 10 db and leave it there by unlinking the Main Out Link also in the output level, that way when you turn the Kemper volume up or down you are only changing your monitor volume without effecting the front of house.

“I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.”

Dave Lee Roth of Van Halen - 1979

Edited once, last by sstauffer ().

• I know you were asking BayouTexan but that would be the preferred way to send the monitor output to the Headrush and the Main output to FOH. In the output section they recommend that you use the -12db. I would also set the main volume level somewhere between 0 and 10 db and leave it there by unlinking the Main Out Link also in the output level, that way when you turn the Kemper volume up or down you are only changing your monitor volume without effecting the front of house.

So my main volume doesn't go above 0 db. Did you mean between -10 and 0 db? Also, you say to unlink the Main Out Link but yours is still is checked on. Should I have it checked on or off? What does it do? And yes, my Main Out -12 db is checked to be active.

• Yes - my bad, from what I have read most people go from 0 to -5, I will correct my original post.

“I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.”

Dave Lee Roth of Van Halen - 1979

Edited once, last by sstauffer ().

• The Master Volume knob acts as a master control of all output volumes linked to it:

Main Output Volume

Monitor Output Volume

Headphone Output Volume

S/PDIF Output Volume

If you unlink for example Main Output Volume, it's level - that you set in the Output Section - sticks and doesn't follow Master Volume anymore.

This matter is covered in the printed Quick Start Manual that comes with the PROFILER.

• Let me read the manual then and report back any questions or further confusion.

• so send a cable from the kemper to the board instead of from the headrush to the board?

Exactly. Just use the monitor as only a monitor. I would do the same using the Kabinet. You have the monitor or Kab for stage experience then send Kemper outputs to FOH for audience. Adjust the volumes independently in Kemper as shown above and only use Master Volume for overall loudness.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Okay so I had a rehearsal today and I think I was able to raise my monitor volume without raising the volume on the PA. However, I had a new issue. With both an XLR cable and a line out (tried separately), I kept getting some fizzly noise through the PA speakers, and only the PA speakers, it did not come through the monitor. The noise was less loud with the 1/4" line out, but still there. Any ideas how to resolve this on the spot? Tuner did not mute it. I went into output and twisted many knobs, but none had an effect on it. Possible issues with cable but it happened with both a XLR and 1/4" line out. Possibly a crappy PA?

• Okay so I had a rehearsal today and I think I was able to raise my monitor volume without raising the volume on the PA. However, I had a new issue. With both an XLR cable and a line out (tried separately), I kept getting some fizzly noise through the PA speakers, and only the PA speakers, it did not come through the monitor. The noise was less loud with the 1/4" line out, but still there. Any ideas how to resolve this on the spot? Tuner did not mute it. I went into output and twisted many knobs, but none had an effect on it. Possible issues with cable but it happened with both a XLR and 1/4" line out. Possibly a crappy PA?

Did you use the -12dB pad switch on Kemper ? for some boards the Kemper output is to hot.
    Phantom Power is off at the mix-board input channel ?

If possible use a Line Input on the Mixing Board.

Other idea if you have try a DI-Box in between Kemper and Board

Be the force with you ;)

• Did you use the -12dB pad switch on Kemper ? for some boards the Kemper output is to hot.
    Phantom Power is off at the mix-board input channel ?

If possible use a Line Input on the Mixing Board.

Other idea if you have try a DI-Box in between Kemper and Board

yeah mate I had the -12dB switch on. What is phantom power? I can check for that next time. DI Box is a good idea. This wasn’t a very high end PA it’s one of the ones where you click the 2 speakers into the board and can carry it all together lol

• It sounds like you are over loading the input on the board. As Yoda said, tick the -12db box and keep the main output of the KPA low enough that it doesn’t clip the input of the board. You can then raise volume on the channel fader without clipping the input.

thanks, I had the -12dB on for sure. So you’re suggesting just lower my master volume and then if it goes away raise the PA channel volume ? And volume of my monitor?

• This was the PA we were using yesterday. This is not the PA we will be using for the gig, but I am curious to practice troubleshooting on this PA if possible.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EON208P--jbl-eon208p

Unless this PA is just too weak to handle the Kemper?

The Pa will be ok to try your Kemper out on its own but as Alan said, no good for vocals and Kemper at the same time.

However it is very sensible to try all of this out pre gig, last thing you want is to be messing around with settings at soundcheck.

I would focus on XLR out so make sure you have a decent XLR lead. That PA does have phantom power, make sure its off. Also try the ground lift switch on the back to eliminate ground issues...

• The Pa will be ok to try your Kemper out on its own but as Alan said, no good for vocals and Kemper at the same time.

However it is very sensible to try all of this out pre gig, last thing you want is to be messing around with settings at soundcheck.

I would focus on XLR out so make sure you have a decent XLR lead. That PA does have phantom power, make sure its off. Also try the ground lift switch on the back to eliminate ground issues...

What is phantom power? And when you both say no good for vocals and Kemper at the same time, what exactly does that mean? That it's not powerful enough and will cause unwanted noise/hissing?