Nickelback - Side of a Bullet - tone help.

• Anyone found a profile close to the riff tone of "Side of a Bullet"?

I've read that Nickelback had use 4 different mic'd amps in the studio to get a specific tone (although I am not sure if it was this particular song or another song). I believe they used a Mesa, Marshall, Fender, and Vox all blended.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Not that easy to find a profile with all those amps blended. Very few profiles at all with blended amps.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• Don't know if you've seen this video but it talks about their live rigs and how the amps are used:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

You may want to start with a triple rec profile with 4x12 cab and see how close it gets.

• Album and live rig/tone is totally different thing though

This is true, of course. If you're only recording, then I'd look at something like reamping with the Kemper with however many amps you need....then blend those signals. If you're looking for a live sound, you can only do so much. One big one for me has been to keep in mind that not even the guitarist that used those sounds gets them live.

We see similar things in how guitar parts are played live vs. recording. Alex Lifeson goes to great lengths to duplicate his recorded solos live. But - some songs (Bravado comes to mind) are similar, but not the same. His live tones change - but ultimately they don't come anywhere near duplicating the records.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• In "Side of a Bullet" album they overdub the squeellies. It's almost impossible to hit them consistently. I never heard them even try in a live setting. I'm pretty sure the Zack Wilde squeellies are overdubbed too in "Momma I'm Coming Home"

Like Ruefus says, NB plays that song with a different tone when live.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.