Distortion stomp VS amp

• Hi,

Every time I try to use distortion stomps (mainly Kemper and green), I'm very disappointed. It sounds like the clean sound and the overdrive are played at the same time, even by setting the mix to 100%. I mean it sounds like I get the clean, and a fuzzy messy sound all together. By using cranked amps, it sounds like a complete coherent package, and turning the volume nob, makes the sound changing smoothly. Is there a trick ? :/

• I don't hear that with the stomps. Any chance you have Parallel Signal Path enabled? That would send a clean signal to the out put. You can see this on the Rig settings page 4 of 6.

How are you monitoring? Is the output for Master and/or Monitor set to Master Mono or Master Stereo?

• The Kemper Drive and Green Scream are both based on the traditional o/d circuit such as the Tube Screamer. One of the characteristics of those analog pedals is that they all have some clean signal mixed in with the o/d. Kemper simply models this.

Exactly this. If you don’t want any clean signal coming thru try the distortion plus model which is my personal favourite in the Profiler.

• Some of the best dirty tones I get is using a "clean" profile of a high gain amp, keep the amp gain at Zero, then stack a tube screamer and then an OD in the stomps. The individual string clarity is awesome that way - which may or may not be what you want. But it definitely throws the guitar "in your face" in a good way.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I don't hear that with the stomps. Any chance you have Parallel Signal Path enabled? That would send a clean signal to the out put. You can see this on the Rig settings page 4 of 6.

How are you monitoring? Is the output for Master and/or Monitor set to Master Mono or Master Stereo?

Sorry, what do you mean by Rig settings page 4 of 6 ? Set on the profiler ?

In the output section everything is set on "stereo"

• The Kemper Drive and Green Scream are both based on the traditional o/d circuit such as the Tube Screamer. One of the characteristics of those analog pedals is that they all have some clean signal mixed in with the o/d. Kemper simply models this.

That might sound great, except I compared the green and the kemper DS to others. You're right the mix clean/DS is only present for the first 2 stomps. That might be kind of personal taste, but I keep on finding the sound artificial, the clean and the DS not matching.

I tested other rigs with no stomp. By playing on the volume nob and my boost pedal, I can go from hardly crunch to reasonable overdrive, with a very consistent and harmonious sound. I guess the green original pedal is used by many famous guitar players, but I never got this impression. Why doesn't the mix setting give 0 clean sound added when set to 100% ? Then we would have a choice, even not the same as the real pedals.

• Sorry, what do you mean by Rig settings page 4 of 6 ? Set on the profiler ?

In the output section everything is set on "stereo"

Yes, 4 of 6 on the profiler. On Rig Manager it's Parallel Path on the Rig page. If it's on, the Parallel Mix controls the amount added.

• Yes, 4 of 6 on the profiler. On Rig Manager it's Parallel Path on the Rig page. If it's on, the Parallel Mix controls the amount added.

Thanks to your advice, I've just discovered The Rig setting function ! The Parallel path was off, so the explanation is most likely green and Kemper DS mix the two signals.