How do I prevent my delays from being washed out? SOLVED

• On several of my rigs for live use, I’ve used reverb in the reverb slot, a delay in the delay slot and either a crystal delay or something similar in the modulation slot when I want to create a really huge ambient stereo effect.

Recently, I added the Delay Widener in the “x” slot on nearly all my rigs to get a more “doubled” sound and a better in-ear sound. The problem is, ever since I did that, it seems like the crystal delay effect that I’ve got in the mod slot is not nearly as noticeable. The delay tails seem to be washed out. As soon as I shut the Delay Widener off, they pop up nicely again. Is there any routing technique or tricks that I can do to get them both working together without washing away the delay tails? I love both of these effects. I just need them to play nicely with each other.

• On several of my rigs for live use, I’ve used reverb in the reverb slot, a delay in the delay slot and either a crystal delay or something similar in the modulation slot when I want to create a really huge ambient stereo effect.

Recently, I added the Delay Widener in the “x” slot on nearly all my rigs to get a more “doubled” sound and a better in-ear sound. The problem is, ever since I did that, it seems like the crystal delay effect that I’ve got in the mod slot is not nearly as noticeable. The delay tails seem to be washed out. As soon as I shut the Delay Widener off, they pop up nicely again. Is there any routing technique or tricks that I can do to get them both working together without washing away the delay tails? I love both of these effects. I just need them to play nicely with each other.

Did you try putting the widener before the stereo delay? Also some of the delays have widening built in anyway.

The delay widener can introduce some phasing if the outputs are not fully panned.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• I think the issue is solved. I moved the delay widener effect after the crystal delays and that seems to have fixed the issue. I also noticed that if I used the Phase Widener, the loss of the crystal delays weren’t as noticeable. Sticking with the Delay Widener though because that effect is a little more pleasant to my ears.