Working on a TON of new profiles

• Been struggling with this last few weeks. I have been posting profiles of my boutique/rare amps, but they have been pretty much one or two of the profiles that I use. Not everyone likes/hears things like I do.

So... here's what I'm going to do:

I'm going to redo all of my profiles. Starting with my vintage Marshalls (68 clone, real 70 100 watt, real 72 100 watt, real 74 50 watt) and cabs (1972 Slant and straight, bone stock with pulsonic cones). Each amp will get several mic placements (grill and then varying distances from cab, at least two angles, and placement relative to dust cap seam). So one amp and cab setting could have several different mics and placement. I currently have some of the 'standard' guitar amp mikes (SM57, E609 silver) and a ribbon mic, and some AKG condensers, a digital reference 'flat' mic, etc. Also have a tube mic preamp and a mixer so I can also blend microphones for some profiles also.

Why so many different profiles? Because not everyone likes the same stuff, and honestly, some popular amp profiles here make me cringe. But if someone likes them, they can't be bad. I don't like sour cream, but I'm sure someone else here loves it. Just different tastes. Having such a wide variety of tones from the same amp can only make for a set of profiles that should appeal to a larger group of users.

If I spend this much time doing the profiles, I'm going to put up a webpage. Page is going to have a pic of the amp I'm profiling, download links and a paypal link.

If you find them useful, hit the paypal link, donate what you think it's worth to you. If you find them useful but don't feel like donating, don't. If you don't find them useful at all, that's cool too. If you can't afford a few bucks, download and enjoy. Hopefully I can also get feedback on the profiles.

Of course, if I do this and nobody does the paypal thing, then nobody is likely getting any value from what I'm doing. In that case, I'll just post on the kemper board every now and then a profile that works for me instead of trying to capture several different facets of hard to find/rare/expensive amps in my collection.

If I *do* make a few bucks for my time and gear investment, I'll keep going. I'm about to invest in a GOOD single channel mic preamp, and have many amps to reprofile and that haven't been profiled, including a RARE one of two Voodoo Amps custom preamp, a Silver Jubilee 50 watt head, a 1960 Fender Concert 4x10, a first year dual rectifier rackmount head, a Mesa Quad preamp, a '87 JCM800 50 watt, an 18 watt Marshall clone I hand built and modded, etc.

Hope to have a simple page up in a few days/by next week. Should be fun!

Pete

• Give it a go, Pete. Hopefully, you'll get positive feedback!

I understand where you coming from, re profiles that work for you but doesn't seem to work for others. I'd suggest you do that anyway. I prefer to hear what you have to suggest sound wise, as opposed to standard stuff or mimicking "famous" guitar tones.

• Sign me up for the 1960 Fender Concert 4x10. The Kemper has made me rediscover all the great amps Fender had in the 1960s.

I think your business model proposal makes sense and I for one would be happy to donate for your work. With all the bazillions of profiles available now, having a few great profiles of some truly rare amps will help me spend more time playing and less time digging through my hoard of kipr files.

Looking forward to your debut!

• Spot on - a nice move. I'm sure you'll come up with some great stuff and when you do - I'll happily donate.

Thanks.

Suhr Classic Pro, Fender deluxe Strat & Baja Tele, Gibson ES335, Ibanez S Prestige 2170FW, Eastman AR371CE, Variax JTV > KPA > Patch bay inc. Strymons (Mobius, Timeline, Blue Sky), H9 Max, TC Triple Delay, & POD HD500 > Adam A7Xs

• Thanks man, glad you're digging them. Here in a few days (hopefully by end of weekend) I have 18 Fortin profiles to drop - green, yellow and red channels, different gain levels, different mics (ribbon and SM57+E609+ribbon) and two different cabs (bogner and mesa slant armor).

pete I will donate for sure I love the profiles you've uploaded here especially the fortin ones.

• Excellent initiative!

I just would like to say a few word on expectations of donations.

After I did the Fenix Profiling Session and put the profiles up I did mention that donations would be appreciated and put up my account info. Mmany people said they would donate. Up til now I have received 2 donations. Generous as they were they did unfortunately not even cover the cost of gas to get to the studio. So while I do appreciate the gesture from the two donors, I think most people pay only if they have to and then only if they want the profile bad enough.

Cheers,

Mats N

I think most
    people pay only if they have to and then only if they want the profile
    bad enough.

What are you dreaming of? Guitarists are better people? When somebody writes, I definitely will donate, it is meant as an accelerating insentive.

If you expect money and if your profiles good, you should charge for it like And44. If not, you might have to live with only compliments. I think it is possible to make a good amount of money with good profiles in the future. But they have to be the best on the market and on top done with the original equipment of famous artists.

• What are you dreaming of? Guitarists are better people? When somebody writes, I definitely will donate, it is meant as an accelerating insentive.

If you expect money and if your profiles good, you should charge for it like And44. If not, you might have to live with only compliments. I think it is possible to make a good amount of money with good profiles in the future. But they have to be the best on the market and on top done with the original equipment of famous artists.

Hi Bluesman,

You are very probably right.

Cheers,

Mats N

• I've had about 4% of people who downloaded my profiles donate. My hope is that the profiles are good enough that people will want more and will be willing to tip for it. If not, then the sheer number of profiles I make available will drop by a huge amount. I see the donations as an incentive for me to make more great profiles available.

Example: I'm about to post 18 Fortin modded Marshall profiles. Probably wouldn't place these without the donation page in place because it's a lot more work making 18 profiles available vs one or two that I already have placed on the Kemper site. Some of the 18 aren't my favorites in the bunch, but all of them,, like the Marshalls could be for great for someone. There's a difference between me posting one or two profiles that work great for me and posting a wad of them that cover a wider variety of tastes and guitars. If the donation thing doesn't work well, then I'll still post one or two now and then. If it does, then I'll post the larger collections of profiles.

Many thanks to those who donated, I appreciate you guys.

• Got it, and thanks! I just purchased a Focusrite mic preamp, we'll see if it makes a difference. I should have it next week. I'm looking forward to seeing if it makes for a nicer profile or not. Next up are a set of 18 high gain Fortin modded Marshall profiles.

Pete

Donation sent! These are cracking profiles, I hope that if people are using these then they do donate because I am looking forward to future efforts.

Spence