Non-fungible token technology: An analysis of the potential for the Kemper and art

• Hope this fits in the other gear section.

I'm quite enthusiastic about non-fungible token (NFT) technology and its application to real world situations.

In the case of the Kemper, we all know that there has been a lot of clamouring for a software VST for the machine.

In that regard, I propose that Mr ckemper consider the viability of implementing blockchain technology to ensure that only the owner of such a VST could use it.

An NFT would serve the purpose of guaranteeing ownership and would also prevent the VST from being copied. I'm not sure how that would be implemented, but if the NFT technology could be applied to software, it could make software piracy a thing of the past. Perhaps a software layer to ensure that the NFT is valid which is necessary for the actual VST software to work?

Not just software piracy. We've all read about digital artworks being sold attached to NFTs. This could also be applied to the music industry as well.

In fact, I think something like an NFT Player would be the future. We could all lease a copy of a "work of art" (like Van Halen's 1984), which we could then play on the app, or perhaps even a physical device that verifies the NFT.

Movie piracy too could be stamped out. I'm really excited about the prospects, especially for struggling artists.

It could effectively end the control of conglomerates over art, I was thinking.

Perhaps someone like DamianGreda would like to take a stab at it? :)

• This reminds me to the discussion around MQA, and its "signed" or "authenticated" software. There is one simple reason why NFT makes no sense for software like this, and it does for assets or individual pieces of art:

Pieces of art / Unique assets: Should be unique for the user, limited in existance to a defined number / Non repeteable.

VST / Music / Movies: There is no exclusivity, the VST I have is the same you have, and supplier should not limit the amount of software circulating.

In few words, there is no benefit to me as a purchaser to have "piracy" implementations like these, even if the company wants me to believe there is some kind of benefit (same as MQA).

Kemper comunity is built around respect and loyalty between buyers, commercial profilers, and kemper company themselves. NFT goes in my opinion, totally against what the company has achieved.

The answer is 42

• Well, here's Mike Shinoda talking about NFTs and how they benefit musicians.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

As far as piracy, I think you are going to see it increasingly implemented in software, for example. Some kind of hash check that leverages the blockchain technology.

Whether you could do the same with music is debatable. But it definitely has promise for monetising content/art, which is why artists like Shinoda are touting it as a game-changing development.