Level into Logic is sooo low

• I just got my KPA yesterday and am connecting it to my RME Fireface 800 interface. I've got XLR from the Main Outputs on the KPA to the Balanced Analog/TRS inputs (channels 1 & 2, fyi) on the RME. I'm using Logic 9 as a sequencer. The input level on the channel strip in Logic is soooooo low. How do I get more level into Logic? Not sure if this is a KPA issue or a Logic one. Thanks-

• When I had this problem it was the Kemper and the fix was doing a system reset (I had to do a full flash format). This may not apply to you but it did fix my levels.

• I have the same issue with Cubase. Very low levels. Will doing a full system reset affect the added profiles on the kemper?

• A system boot will not affect the profiles (but will cancel user settings).Formatting the flash will cancel everything

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• I've got no idea... the weird thing is that the level going into my system (the RME Fireface 800) seems to be alright. It's just that when it gets into Logic that it's so low. I'm attaching some pics of the meters in the RME mixer and the Logic mixer just after having strummed my guitar. You'll see how wide the discrepancy is. I'm also including a pic of my settings on my Fireface unit.

• Logic user here, jtm. I don't think that's an issue.

I usually record through s/pdif and sometimes through analogue outputs of the KPA.
    Both signal are fine in the interface level meters, but appear low on Logic. Still, after you record either the level is fine. Don't let the Logic input level fool you.

• Thanks for the reply...
    What's concerning, though, is that the waveform of any recorded audio is still very small/low.

You connect using S/PIDF? So you're at 44.1? I like working at 48k. How exactly are you set up, if you don't mind explaining? Thanks!

• You can refresh the audio overviews, which usually solves the waveform appearance issue (also adjust the channel sizes if you need more detail).

KPA works at 44.1KHz only, so yes :thumbup:

• Can I really hear a difference b/w 44.1 and 48? Not so much. But I know that there's a bit more "oomph" at higher sample rates. I work in situations where most colleagues are at 48 or 96, even. Considering 44.1 is the lowest sample rate available, I'm gonna avoid it. There's nothing "wrong" with working at 44.1- lots of people do it. I just prefer 48.
    I also read that the Kemper only works at 44.1 when using S/PIDF; so going analog isn't an issue. It'd be nice, though, if they did make higher sample rates available in S/PIDF- which I read online that they've said they'd be doing in a future firmware update.

• There's a very interesting article I've recently read on AudioReview, an Italian Hi-Fi magazine (the best one IMO).
    The article was focused on the so called "liquid music" (musical audio files you download rather than buying the CD/DVD). Most sellers are now providing high-rate sampled files.

The article points out that there's been a time-window in the '80s where people used to record and produce @ 44.1: and this is the reason why we now can have great remasters of albums from '60s, '70s and '90s but not from '80s. Paradoxically, an analog recording can be sampled @ 192, a digital 44.1 recording can't (unless, of course, you oversample it).

Also, the article explains the advantages of a higher-sampled recording, and where to look for differences.
    For what I know, the difference in quality is there, but will not be noticeable at the same level in all kind of recordings: a wall of sounds like in Anarchy in UK is not going to show it as well as a classic recording with a much higher dynamic and "air".

OTOH, a higher sampling rate allows to process/filter the signal with a greater accuracy during production and postproduction; so even a standard CD recording can take advantage of a higher sampling rate during the work.

Just thinking out loud :)

• Ok- I think I may have solved my issue for now...
    Rather than going from the KPA to the rear Balanced/Analog inputs of my RME interface, I'm connecting to the front of the unit, to the line/mic input, where I can control the output gain which then feeds Logic. By turning that up, I'm getting more level within Logic.
    I'd love to be able to stay plugged into the rear of the RME, but for now this will have to do!

• No- that's the thing... it's loud everywhere but in my computer.
    I can get the volume up by turning the KPA's master volume to 10, and there's plenty of audible sound. However, the amount of signal showing up within Logic (coming from the KPA going into the RME interface) is minimal. So, by plugging into the front of the RME, I can add gain to the signal that gets to Logic.

What's also strange is that I still hear the KPA even when I'm not record-enabled in Logic... I don't know why. To me, if the track isn't in record, or "input monitoring" mode, I shouldn't hear the signal.

• I think you are overwhelmed and have confused several things, my friend :)
    1. Even if you think the input level in Logic is low, the recording will be just fine, don't get misled. If you change the setting of your channel strip to show you the recording level you'll see how high the recoding level is, before you start recording. I understand that you have it set to show the input level, not the record level.
    2. Where do you have your headphones connected to? RME right? Why shouldn't you still hear the the KPA? You are monitoring through your audio interface. Unless you choose to monitor through Logic (not suggested) and set the software monitoring on.

I hope I have explained it ok.

• You need to have a look at your routing within the RME - open up it's software control panel - it sounds like you have a direct (zero latency) monitor instead of monitoring the signal back from Logic as you normally do. My guess is you have some signal path or level within the RME wrongly set

• Marco- I think it as probably an RME issue... I attached some screenshots of my RME settings and Logic channel strips in an earlier post in this thread. Thanks for your input.

Stemast- the only reason I bring this up is that I've never experienced this in my years of using guitar processors/amps/modelers/etc. Nothing in my system has changed since before I got the KPA. I thought I'd be ok just plugging it as it says in the manual, and it'd function correctly. This same issue was also occurring at another studio I was at, where we've never encountered anything like this. The recording isn't fine. When playing back, it's very soft; which is of no surprise considering the waveform is so small. Logic isn't getting a strong enough signal for some reason.

Using my POD X3 Pro, or Vox ToneLab SE processor, I'd simply plug my guitar into there, go into the RME, then into Logic.
    I'm not going to adjust the waveform's view within Logic simply because it looks small... it IS small/soft/low/etc.

With my other rigs I mentioned above, I'm only hearing guitar when I'm "record-enabled" in Logic. That's the way I want it. That's the way it's always worked in my studio, or whatever other I'm at. Obviously, there's something different about the KPA that is not doing this, and causing audio to be heard even when Logic isn't open.

As for headphones- I'll obviously hear a normal volume from the KPA's headphone jack. There's never been any confusion about that. My main issue is the level that's showing up coming from my RME into Logic. If the waveform is very small, that means it's not getting a strong signal. As I said, nothing has changed since I got the KPA. If the waveform is normal/"healthy" with my other guitar gear, there's no reason it shouldn't be with the KPA.

I'm certain there are some settings within the RME or Logic that will remedy this.