Output signal too hot for desktop interface

• I just got my Kemper Stage delivered yesterday and just now had my first chance to hook it up to my laptop through an interface.

The problem I am having is that no matter where I set the input gain on the interface, its clipping pretty hard. Even with the input gain completely down it still clips. I would have thought it would be silent since no signal is being allowed into the interface?

I did a quick search of the forum and didn't see anything directly related to what is happening...any ideas?

Is there a global output setting on the Kemper or do I have something set incorrectly elsewhere in the signal?

Thanks

• Could be different things. Please tell us how you connected the Kemper to the interface. Many different ways to do this and the different outputs on the Kemper all can be controlled separately with their output levels. You can check the settings in the Output menu (hold Output button and then scroll over the different pages).

What type is your interface? Some for instance automatically do activate the built-in microphone preamps if you connect via XLR cable. In that case a different kind of cable would already help...

Many options, please let us know a bit more on your setup :)

• bringing the master volume down as you suggest is a global function, I assume?

typically how much do you need to lower it so you're not clipping? Just curious for reference...

You bring it down until it does not clip at all. ;) Also check your clean and distorted sens in the Kemper input.

The input gain knobs on your interface should be around the 9 o'clock position.

You should keep levels to about -6 to -12 in your DAW.

And congrats on the Kemper!

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Could be different things. Please tell us how you connected the Kemper to the interface. Many different ways to do this and the different outputs on the Kemper all can be controlled separately with their output levels. You can check the settings in the Output menu (hold Output button and then scroll over the different pages).

What type is your interface? Some for instance automatically do activate the built-in microphone preamps if you connect via XLR cable. In that case a different kind of cable would already help...

Many options, please let us know a bit more on your setup :)

I had the Kemper connected via xlr to a Steinberg CI 2 interface. You may be right on the auto preamp thing happening. I have a regular pedal setup that I occasionally use too. That's just a delay, reverb and distortion pedal. I have the Blackstar HT Dual using the emulated out, so I don't need a power amp for it, but that connects up using a standard 1/4" jack.

• ok, I hooked it up with the 1/4" cable and problem solved! thanks guys...sorry for the noob question but id rather ask and learn than struggle...lol

so just to make sure I fully understand...here is another noob moment. Lol

I have 3 scenarios that I'll be encountering regularly

1) home playing at the computer

2) regular rock band practice/gigging

3) P&W gigs at church

Obviously we just solved the hookup at the computer.

The church uses a DI box to plug into, so I'm assuming a 1/4' cable to the DI and I'm gtg ( just like the computer hook up)...

I have only rehearsed with the church band a few times and haven't actually played in a service as of yet. I had been using the Atomic Amplifire 12 with that setup, so I'll just continue to setup the Kemper the same way (1/4'cable)?

And lastly, my regular rock band. That PA system is an xlr based system. I'm guessing that since that system doesn't use anything that would engage a mic preamp ( like my interface does) hooking up via xlr is no different than using a 1/4' cable as in my other setup scenarios?

thanks!!

• I would say so. Use 1/4 TS on interfaces and XLR for FOH. Use the Kemper monitor out (1/4 TS) for stage monitor or a powered cab (amp combo).

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.