Remote with PoE injector

• I just added a PoE injector to my rack in order to use a longer remote cable. It workes fine so far...but one

thing irritates me: Even when the profiler is switched off, the LEDs of the remote show (dimmed) light.

Is that normal ?? What's your experience ?

• I also installed an PoE injector today (one with straight EU plug, no external powersupply)

My cordial was giving me a hard time lately, powering one twice, blank out and restart ...

The PoE solved the issue and the leds are much brighter as before ...

Does this mean I can use any normal ethernet cable now ?

thx

Raf

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp

• Can you please specify what model u did buy? Thank you.

• from the manual:

Cabling

The PROFILER and PROFILER Remote communicate with each other via an ethernet cable. The cable included in the PROFILER Remote package with its Neutrik® etherCON® cable connector carrier has been carefully selected and is perfectly suited for this purpose. If you decide to use any 3rd party cable, please make sure it meets our quality standards.

The diameter of the wire is the critical factor. The cable delivered with the Remote meets American Wire Gauge 24 (AWG), which can support up to 7.5m (22ft) length. AWG 26 cables have a smaller diameter and can only support up to 5m (15ft). Cables with higher AWG e.g. AWG 28 should not be used with the Remote.

Cables in excess of 10m (30ft) might require a Power over Ethernet Injector (PoE Injector).

Cabling with PoE injector close to PROFILER

This will enable you to bridge distances of more than 100m (300ft). The PoE injector can be located close to the PROFILER e.g. in the same rack and connected via a short ethernet cable.

PROFILER Remote 291

A PoE switch will even let you connect multiple Remotes to one PROFILER.

PROFILER Remote 292

Cabling with PoE switch and multiple Remotes

PROFILER and Remotes should be connected to those ethernet sockets that provide PoE power. Supported are IEEE standard 802.3af-2003 as well as 802.3at-2009 mode A.

Be aware that only mode A can be used; mode B is not functional! Gigabit PoE equipment must not be used! It could even damage the Remote!

Here is a list of equipment we have tested successfully:

PoE injectors:

PoE switches:

If you are using a POE switch, connect the PROFILER to its PoE ethernet sockets, as well as the Remote(s).

PROFILER Remote 293

TP-LINK® TL-POE 150S

• TP-LINK® TL-SG1008P (8 port gigabit switch with 4 port PoE)
    • Allnet® ALL8085 Switch (8 Port 10/100TX)
    • Intellinet 8-Port Fast Ethernet POE+Switch (available with 19’’ rackmount)
    • If you are using a POE switch, connect the PROFILER to its PoE ethernet sockets, as well as the Remote(s).
  • This one :

Cudy POE200 30W Gigabit PoE+

Raf

This one is great. Fits perfect in my wooden rack. Have to test it on rehearsal on Sunday. If I switch the Kemper off only the TAP led is lit.

Best is I use a powercon cable from my active cab that has two plugs (one for the Kemper and one for the PoE). Neat and tidy.

This one :

Cudy POE200 30W Gigabit PoE+

Raf

• I don't use PoE -- on the kind of stages we play, I'm never that far from my Kemper -- but browsing this thread I happened to notice this:

:/ Just to make sure, maybe you should check with support about that warning?

I didn't now this ... I got this from the german forum over here that a guy bought exactly this one ... I got this because my 5m Cordial cable was giving me a hard time to boot up lately

Burkhard is this ok to use ?

thx

Raf

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp

• I did see that they even suggest this as a working solution

TP-LINK®TL-SG1008P (8 port gigabit switch with 4 port PoE)

Also Gigabit ...

Raf

• Unfortunately we don't know, because this matter is not black and white.

The latest gigabit standards allow current on wires, which the Remote cannot deal with. If a third party device is using this new feature, it could even cause damage of the Remote.

The devices recommended in our Main Manual were tested. For example the following TP-Link product is a gigabit switch, but doesn't use these fatures and therefor is not causing any harm.

• TP-LINK® TL-SG1008P (8 port gigabit switch with 4 port PoE)

Our engineering has not found a way to definetly know from the specs of such devices, if it will work for the Remote or not, because the specs are typically not specific enough.

Please understand, that we cannot test and keep up with the evolution of all PoE equipment around the globe. We can try to create white and black lists based on your and our experiences. If you were already successfull with particular giganet products, please let us know and we can add these to the white list. I'm waiting for one or two product names, which must not be used and will add these to the black side.

• I assume mine can go on the ok list as well because it works ...

Leds are brighter and no longer drop out and starting up with red blinking led on the remote ... pushing second time starts up ok

Raf

• I assume mine can go on the ok list as well because it works ...

Leds are brighter and no longer drop out and starting up with red blinking led on the remote ... pushing second time starts up ok

Raf

Well how long did you test it? I only checked it for half an hour. LEDs are definitely brighter. I use the original cable with it. I give it a try as well and will report after a bunch of hours.

Is there a specific power that shouldn’t be exceeded? The Cudy has 30W Max. and 50VDC plus some security features. The PoE you advised to buy provides a max of 64Wmax for all ports together and a max of 30Wmax for a max of two ports. I understood 30W only for PoE+ and half of this for PoE.

So from my non-expert view it looks like the same.
    Is there a dedicated question we should ask the manufacturer? If so I would do that.

• Poe+ equals with 802.3at.

Kemper concerns seems to be the pins the injector uses which is 802.3at-2009 mode A.” / ”current on wires, which the Remote cannot deal with” meaning power being injected onto the Ethernet cable on pins 1,2,3, and 6. For that one Cudy seems good to go (based on listed specs on reseller sites, might be the HQ official statements can’t rely on those so..).

• I'm not the technical expert, but my understanding is this:

Before the introduction of Gigabit, the power was only injected in two specific pins 1 and 2. The Gigabit standard introduced an additional option to inject the power also into two other pins 3 and 4. This new option - if activated - can cause harm to the Remote, which had not been designed for this. Different Gigabit devices follow a different logic to activate power on pins 3 and 4:

1. Some devices activate this option only, if a receiving device gets attached, which is really requesting power on pins 3 and 4. These are therefor compatible with the Remote.

2. Other devices activate the power on all four pins as soon as a requesting device gets connected regardless on which pins it is requesting the power. So you attach a device requesting power on pins and 1 and 2 resulting in power on 1 and 2 plus 3 and 4. Such devices are not compatible with the Remote.

The Gigabit standard leaves this open and the manufacturers usually don't document, if they are following logic 1 or 2.