Orange Cab + Kemper Kabinet

• Hi KPA,

looking for some advice please.

I currently have a Powerhead KPA and orange 2x12OB (16ohms) cab with V30 speakers and I am looking at adding the kabinet into the mix.

The orange has a second speaker output option, but I’m not sure on how this would work with impedance ratings, as the kabinet is 4ohms.

Alternatively ive read that the Kabinet can used out of the monitor output on the back of the KPA ? Is this the case ?

Any suggestions on the set up ? Is it possible or would it be ridiculous?

Thanks

** Edited **

Edited once, last by AshRenno92: Powerhead ().

• I am looking for advice on this because so many profiles just don’t sound right with the orange on its own.

I don’t know if it’s something I am doing or the KPA but it’s just lacking that feel and sound that you hear in so many videos and demos

• I am looking for advice on this because so many profiles just don’t sound right with the orange on its own.

I don’t know if it’s something I am doing or the KPA but it’s just lacking that feel and sound that you hear in so many videos and demos

This is an obvious question , but have you disabled CABINET block in the STACK section of Kemper?

• Well, a cab with V30's should sound like... a cab with V30's, i.e. it should sound good.

Do you like the cab with your amp?
    If so, I'd suggest you do a Direct Amp profile of your amp and check if there’s still something missing for you.

I don’t believe that the Kabinet helps here, provided you’re not after Fender sounds with Jensen speakers.

• It sounds like there is a blanket or something missing from the sound.

I hear so many videos and sounds that feel and give such a great vibe but mine is just lacking that crisp sound.

Again, how does your cab sound with a conventional amp? Same, with blanket?

• Do you have a High Cut on in the Output options or an EQ?

If not, maybe you're just using a profile that doesn't pair well with your speakers? Like maybe using humbuckers with a profile created based on single coils. You could try turning Definition up a bit, or just treble/presence.

• Again, how does your cab sound with a conventional amp? Same, with blanket?

I haven’t got anything else to try with the cabinet.

How could I use the kabinet with the orange cab ? Would this work with using the second output from the orange or would it kill the impedance?

• Do you have a High Cut on in the Output options or an EQ?

If not, maybe you're just using a profile that doesn't pair well with your speakers? Like maybe using humbuckers with a profile created based on single coils. You could try turning Definition up a bit, or just treble/presence.

I don’t have a high cut in master menu or EQ. I’ve messed around with it and the low cut but found it didn’t really do anything.

I mainly use single coils so have been specifically using profiles for that.

I will have a look at the definition control and see how it sits. Thank you

• You are not going to be able to use the Kabinet with the Orange simultaneously. Or at least, you can but it won’t sound the way you expect unless you use two separate poweramps.

The problem isn’t going to be impedance but the fact that the two systems are incompatible.

Here is why;

The Kabinet will either run in Full Range Mode or Imprint mode.

If you run the Orange from the KPA speaker output, you will want to have Monitor Cab Off enabled. This will send a full range signal to the Orange. However, if you chain the Kabinet to this output it will also get a full range signal unless you have Kone enabled. If you enable Kone to use the imprints with the Kabinet you will also end up applying an imprint to the Orange.

As the Monitor Out and Speaker Out share the same signal you will still get the same results if you use both outputs and an additional power amp.

One way to get round this might be to run the Kabinet from the KPA speaker out and use the main outs to drive a different power amp running the Orange. However, this means you won’t be able to send the Main Outs to FOH as these will need to have the Kabinet section turned off in the Stack section. A full range PA with cab section disabled is not a pleasant sound if you use any overdrive. (In fact I think this will also put the Speaker out into full range mode thereby removing the ability to use imprints with the Kone).

Bottom line, run Orange or Kabinet but not both.