Advice required for upcoming rehearsal

• Hi folks,

I got my Kemper Stage a few days a go and I'm slowly figuring out the home setup, but I've got a rehearsal studio booked in a couple of weeks so just wanted to check in with some pros about how I should be using the gear correctly, I'll be playing guitar. I don't have a separate power amp so my main concern is making sure I'm setup correctly into the desk then using the monitors for the rest of the band (and myself) to hear me.

Studio has the following gear available - Link to Monitor Spec - https://www.turbosound.com/tur…d/product?modelCode=P0B4S

PA System

Allen & Heath GL2400 24 channel mixer

FOH, Turbosound TXD 151 tops with 18” subs

4 way monitor mix, Turbosound TMW-112

Graphic EQs, BSS Opal FCS-966

SPX effects unit

Microphones, stands and DI boxes

Any advice on how I would setup would be well received, I've played guitar for years but I'm a real novice when it comes to sound engineering but very keen to learn.

Tim

• Kemper main outs (L and R for stereo, or L for mono) ----> mixer/FOH (using XLR or TS).

Kemper monitor out ----> stage monitor (using TS).

Can't get any simpler that that. But I ain't no pro.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Are you going to use the same monitors for your guitar and vocals and possibly other instruments? If not do what BayouTexan suggested above, If so just run the main out to the board and adjust the levels at the board. Don't use a phantom powered input on the board. - Either way I would go into the output section of the Kemper and activate the Main Out--12dB button so you don't over drive the input of the board.

“I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.”

Dave Lee Roth of Van Halen - 1979

Edited once, last by sstauffer ().

• Thanks guys, BayouTexan I was thinking to go direct but from the spec on the monitor website wasn't sure if it was definitely active? Quoting below from the site.

"Switchable passive/bi-amp operation for flexibility of use"

sstauffer the monitor will be used to for at least my guitar and vocals, possibly bass and an additional guitar. Am I right in thinking to achieve that I would use a send from the desk?

• Can't believe it! I've just been told that I can't use the Kemper without a compressor as they think I'll damage the speakers. FFS. Is there anything I can show them to change their mind?

• Can't believe it! I've just been told that I can't use the Kemper without a compressor as they think I'll damage the speakers. FFS. Is there anything I can show them to change their mind?

Maybe taking a look at all the players/bands that have been using Kemper for about the last decade without a compressor or blown speakers. A Kemper has a far less chance of blowing a speaker than a miked cab does.

If you are storing/using output presets remember even though the manual reads output levels aren't included in saves, the -12 db button condition IS and there is a potential for having the output volume up, and switching output presets to one with he button off and creating a huge signal.

The pad probably should be anchored along with the output and not presettable to avoid jumps. Make sure all your output presets have the pad buttons where you want them!

Edit: sent as a feature request.

Edited once, last by Dynochrome: Added feature request. ().

• Good news, luckily the studio manager spoke to someone else who said it's actually a pretty decent bit of kit so I was allowed to use it in the end :) She also admitted she was muddled between compressor and limiter. I used it in the end through PA and it sounded fantastic and no issues controlling level being cautious and then working to appropriate level.

Thanks all for the tips! I think I now have a much better grasp of how to mix a band through desk which I've managed to avoid for the last 15 years.

• Good news, luckily the studio manager spoke to someone else who said it's actually a pretty decent bit of kit so I was allowed to use it in the end :) She also admitted she was muddled between compressor and limiter. I used it in the end through PA and it sounded fantastic and no issues controlling level being cautious and then working to appropriate level.

Thanks all for the tips! I think I now have a much better grasp of how to mix a band through desk which I've managed to avoid for the last 15 years.

That is good.

TBH most rehearsal studios only provide a vocal PA and with no sound engineer so I can understand why they might want to protect their equipment but great news you got it sorted....and more importantly you are prepared when you get to a gig!