New tune, Something for the pain

• Joe, love your stuff, but if you ever visit Texas and call this country-ish they'll tar and feather you before you make it out of town. ^^

I'm not sure what bucket to put it in, but it's happy, good vibe stuff and that's all that matters to me.

By the way, you should name your band Prolific. I wish I had even a fraction of your musical productivity!

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Hi Joe, another great one. Yeah, that Tele is inspiring you a lot for sure. Cool sound. I like the meaty rythm sound of it a lot. Overall mix is more transparent than some of your last ones. Cool thing :thumbup:8)

P.S.: That chorus reminds my incredibly of John Mellencamp tunes. He could easily sing over that one :)

• Joe, love your stuff, but if you ever visit Texas and call this country-ish they'll tar and feather you before you make it out of town. ^^

I'm not sure what bucket to put it in, but it's happy, good vibe stuff and that's all that matters to me.

By the way, you should name your band Prolific. I wish I had even a fraction of your musical productivity!

? Chris, i hear you, when i finally make it to Texas i'll leave my guitar at home ? Thanks for the great comments, i'm all about the up beat happy vibe.

When you listen to my stuff you'll realize that i've only got 4 good ideas in me i just repeat myself ? I unwind by recording silly wee ideas that i come up with, i'm just lucky that most of the time they come together. I've got my recording process pretty slimmed down now so it usually takes me around 2-2.5 hours to record, mix and master a track, so i do most of my recording when the family have gone to bed.

• Hi Joe, another great one. Yeah, that Tele is inspiring you a lot for sure. Cool sound. I like the meaty rythm sound of it a lot. Overall mix is more transparent than some of your last ones. Cool thing :thumbup:8)

P.S.: That chorus reminds my incredibly of John Mellencamp tunes. He could easily sing over that one :)

Thanks deadman42. I'm really loving the tele, i think the texas special pick-ups it came with are perfect for the Kemper, the tone and feel to me is just brilliant, very inspiring. Yeah, i was trying to tone it down a wee bit, there isn't really that much drive on the profile, it's just a boosted clean(ish) profile really.

John Mellencamp, that's a big complement, thanks

• ? Chris, i hear you, when i finally make it to Texas i'll leave my guitar at home ? Thanks for the great comments, i'm all about the up beat happy vibe.

When you listen to my stuff you'll realize that i've only got 4 good ideas in me i just repeat myself ? I unwind by recording silly wee ideas that i come up with, i'm just lucky that most of the time they come together. I've got my recording process pretty slimmed down now so it usually takes me around 2-2.5 hours to record, mix and master a track, so i do most of my recording when the family have gone to bed.

I recommend when going to Texas you first stop in Atlanta for a beer and then forget to get back on the plane. With no offense intended to all the perfectly respectable Texans here, there's a reason I don't live there anymore. Mostly because I'm a hippie and don't look good in funny hats. :)

As for repeating yourself, you know there are only 12 notes, right? What you call repetition, I call personal style. Of course, now that I know you manage this level of songwriting and productivity after the family have gone to bed I'm really embarrassed to call myself a songwriter. I've gotta up my game!

Thanks deadman42. I'm really loving the tele, i think the texas special pick-ups it came with are perfect for the Kemper, the tone and feel to me is just brilliant, very inspiring. Yeah, i was trying to tone it down a wee bit, there isn't really that much drive on the profile, it's just a boosted clean(ish) profile really.

John Mellencamp, that's a big complement, thanks

That Tele I couldn't bond with was the American Special with those pickups. Holy cow those things are bright (as if a Tele didn't have enough bite as it is). I pulled them and put in the modern noise cancelling ones, which are slightly less bright. However, when I reach for a Tele I usually don't have this level of gain on it. It usually shows up on clean to mild crunch, so those special pickups just took my head off. They're much smoother in the context you use them in. And while I can't bond with the guitar it's not about the tone. There's just something about the neck on this one that my hands can't get comfortable with.

Indeed. That man is a ton of inspiration to me since more than 30 years. And I am not much into his style of music though. Anyway, there is only good music and not so good music out there... this here is on the good side :)

+1 for both Mellencamp and for "there's only music." Well said!

Edited once, last by Chris Duncan ().

• I recommend when going to Texas you first stop in Atlanta for a beer and then forget to get back on the plane. With no offense intended to all the perfectly respectable Texans here, there's a reason I don't live there anymore. Mostly because I'm a hippie and don't look good in funny hats. :)

As for repeating yourself, you know there are only 12 notes, right? What you call repetition, I call personal style. Of course, now that I know you manage this level of songwriting and productivity after the family have gone to bed I'm really embarrassed to call myself a songwriter. I've gotta up my game!

That Tele I couldn't bond with was the American Special with those pickups. Holy cow those things are bright (as if a Tele didn't have enough bite as it is). I pulled them and put in the modern noise cancelling ones, which are slightly less bright. However, when I reach for a Tele I usually don't have this level of gain on it. It usually shows up on clean to mild crunch, so those special pickups just took my head off. They're much smoother in the context you use them in. And while I can't bond with the guitar it's not about the tone. There's just something about the neck on this one that my hands can't get comfortable with.

+1 for both Mellencamp and for "there's only music." Well said!

? Funny hats? I'm Scottish we wear kilts all year round ?

I'm completely with you on the tele neck, it's much bigger than on any of my other guitars, but, it makes me play differently which has created a whole bunch of new ideas. I have a Charvel DK22 and i find the pickups on that are a tad brighter than the texas specials in my tele so allot of the profiles i used for the Charvel just sounded great with the tele. Allot of my tones do have more gain and are voiced slightly darker so the tele pickups aren't ear piercingly bright but really suit the mix. I do like how they feel when i play, they have this upper mid crunch to them on the bass strings on the bridge pick-up that just sounds great to my ears.

Never ever be embarrassed about your level of songwriting output. I struggled for a long time to write anything, i have just been very, very lucky. I could run out of ideas tomorrow and never be able to write another tune. Whether its one song a year or 100 songs a year its ALL good my friend. Besides, i'm not a real songwriter as i can't write lyrics or even sing a note, i just play tunes. The real talent is in being able to do both and this board is full of guys like you who can do just that.

• ? Funny hats? I'm Scottish we wear kilts all year round ?

Then you should definitely avoid Texas! ^^

I absolutely want to get a Tele that I can bond with. I stupidly avoided them for decades because, you know, I have Strats. It wasn't until recently that I really appreciated what they bring to the party. And I particularly like what you're getting out of them.

Besides, i'm not a real songwriter as i can't write lyrics or even sing a note.

Clearly you haven't experienced enough emotional damage. I'd be happy to give you the number to some of my old girlfriends, if that would help. :)

• Then you should definitely avoid Texas! ^^

I absolutely want to get a Tele that I can bond with. I stupidly avoided them for decades because, you know, I have Strats. It wasn't until recently that I really appreciated what they bring to the party. And I particularly like what you're getting out of them.

Clearly you haven't experienced enough emotional damage. I'd be happy to give you the number to some of my old girlfriends, if that would help. :)

I think I'm too emotionally disturbed that's the problem ?

Yeah, i wanted a blonde tele just because i wanted to own an iconic looking tele, the fact that i love it so much and it sounds great for the type of stuff i play was a bit of a surprise to me really. ?