1959 EVH Captor

• Hey Kemperites,

Been a while since I posted anything new. I have been experimenting with profiling with the Captor load box. I posted a new sound in the rig exchange called ‘1959 EVH Captor’.

White Marshall 1959 Randy Rhoads 100 watt head through a Captor reactive loadbox to a Vintech X73i mic pre ( kindof a Neve 1073 clone ) direct into the Kemper. No pedals, volume on 6 all eq on 10. Been finding it getting close to that old EVH sound, so I tweaked a bit inside kemper to get it closer to that sound. I’ll try amp slaving next, as I’d like to try again with cabs at a later date.

If it’s too bright, you can always roll down the treble in the eq which is post amp right before the effects. I used a Lespaul when dialing n the preset.

I was digging this sound, but I’ll try it out again tomorrow, maybe it won’t shine as much ?? dunno. Thoughts....?

• OK, so today I don't know if I am digging the rawness of that first profile without a cab. So I made three more, but this time with a 4x12 and sm 57. They are called :

1959RR Captor cab solo

1959RR Captor Cab rythmn

1959RR Captor Cab rythmn light

They are kinda meant to be used together, but the light one is not meant to be played on the lead pickup alone. I have been trying to find a way to make the profiles brighter, my older ones are too dark imho. These are all more of a heavy rock sound, not a metal sound.

• Thank you, David!

I've banged on here about your original 1959RR ch2 vol6 upload many times, with the instruction to back the treble off a tad and enjoy the organic, grainy goodness and mojo that it provides. 8)

The 3 Captor additions you've just made less than an hour ago aren't appearing yet, for me anyway, so a heads-up to peeps not to panic. There's often a delay between the time Rigs are uploaded and their appearance on the Exchange.

Thanks again mate; you're a star! <3

• I've banged on here about your original 1959RR ch2 vol6 upload many times, with the instruction to back the treble off a tad and enjoy the organic, grainy goodness and mojo that it provides. 8)

Completely agree here with Nicky. This profile has been in my Kemper for years. I'm always trying different ones but this one always stays. Great profile.

• Hey thanks guys, Monkey_Man and 69 Z28 very kind of you both. ( maybe you may not like these new brighter ones then ??? I was heavily thinking of EVH, not that I think I got close or anything, it's just the general vibe I was going for, especially the solo profile)

Anyway, I finally got them uploaded, so lemme know whatcha think.

• Completely agree here with Nicky. This profile has been in my Kemper for years. I'm always trying different ones but this one always stays. Great profile.

My brother loved it so much with his LP that I made it my default and only Profile to keep on the unit 3 years ago, Trey. 8)

You can't remove all Rigs from the Profiler; at least one has to remain, and David has the honour of being the creator of that Rig in my particular case. :pinch: :D

• Because I can't leave well enough alone !!!!

So I added some eq'd versions ( I'm just learning how to work with this Two Torpedoes Captor 8 reactive load box )

These additional profiles were uploaded into the exchange today:

1959RR Captor cab solo eq b

1959RR Captor Cab rythmn eq b

1959RR Captor Cab Dark

I also gave a whirl at profiling my 1966 JTM50 BlackFlag Marshall, same 1960ax cab and signal chain.

JTM50 Captor A rythmn dry(ish)

JTM50 Captor B rythmn flanger

JTM50 Captor rythmn mid scoop

JTM50 Captor wide

JTM50 Captor dark

There are two profiles for this JTM50, A & B and some additional presets where I played around with effects and curves. The dark preset is closer to the original amp sound. I'm still trying to find a balance between brightness and 'recordability' in the daw without having to eq much in a dense mix. These profiles seem to like the rythmn pickup on my Lespaul.

All in all, I find Marshalls the hardest amp to get 'right', there is this sound the choke seems to impart on this JTM in particular, it's a nasal kinda thing, but I felt I should capture it before it no longer works. This amp was dimed full max on 10 for volume, and I won't be doing that much more. It also has a rectifier tube, so maybe it's not quite a 50 watt.

• Awesome thanks! Can't wait to try these today. The other ones really stand out.

PS: *rhythm :)

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Have played around some more with these. I really really like (also like the "original"). The way you dial them in reminds me of Pete Thorn and Robert Baker. They have a somewhat trebly sound, that isn't too much. Have struggled finding that in Kemper land, but these sound really great. Thanks a bunch!

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Monkey_Man You know, it occurred to me that we put so much emphasis on which amp it is. Dare I say - I have a bias towards the sound when I know the amp it came from.

But this is an experiment, in fun only. What if we did not see the amp and only judge the patch on the sound ??? ( and I know sound is so subjective, even I go back and like/hate things about my own patches from one day to the next, it never ends )

• Monkey_Man You know, it occurred to me that we put so much emphasis on which amp it is. Dare I say - I have a bias towards the sound when I know the amp it came from.

But this is an experiment, in fun only. What if we did not see the amp and only judge the patch on the sound ???

1959 was very good, and the jtm's that were dialed in with the paf were also good (thanks for sharing!), but the mystery amp is my favorite.

Well, I should say they serve different roles. The 59 makes beautiful transients, while the mystery just goes for it, vaguely Saxon-esque. It's also nice (IMO) to have too much treble or presence, and cut it out, than to be just swamped in mids, but I do love a bright amp coupled with a dark guitar.