Sounds "Flubby/boomy" from my cabinet speakers

• I have a Kemper Stage with current OS install and I am using the Seymour Duncan Power Stage-170 and no matter what cabinet I use(2x12 OR 4x12), the sound coming from the cabinet sounds "flubby" or too much bass. It takes away from the definition of the sound. Can someone suggest something that I could try? Or is bc the SD Power Stage 170 does not have a "Presence" option the SD Power Stage 200 does. thanks!

• Hi If6was9 ... and Welcome! Here's my first thought. You're saying 2x12 or 4x12 but don't specify if they're guitar cab or FRFR. Seems to make a big difference. Let's assume we're talking guitar cabs here then i think you need turn off the cab in the Stage. There's a section in the manual IRC. Also, I'd suggest the video tutorials as well...just in case. Here https://www.kemper-amps.com/video#a-videos-tutorials.

Yes, some Rigs sound boomier then other. Have you tried different ones. RigMangaer has a gazillion freely available. How's the sound through earphones? Still boomy?

As far as the PS 170 goes, a lot of forum members here are using it with great result. I don't think the 'Presence' or lack thereof is the issue.

• Indeed sounds like the cab simulation is active. You can disable it with the cab button (which is white when active) or disable the cab simulation for that output. Quickest way to test is to hold down the cab button until it's not lit anymore ...

Raf

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp

• Thank you Kemper friends!! I will try all of these suggestions out in the next day or so.

I am new to Kemper Stage Community so I might have some silly questions. Thanks for being understanding and patient!

You all rock!

• One suggestion from my side, some cabs have some nasty low end resonance around 250hz, and the boominess generated from around 150 hz. Use a parametric EQ with a Q value of around 5, and play a loop into your kemper, while increasing and decreasing the frequency, surfing through them. Eventually you will find the problematic frequency, so you can dial in a narrower or wider Q, with higher or lower gain, without losing body or the nice roundness of the low end.

Your problem might be related to room acoustics, cabinet acoustics, or simply how you hear, you will eventually know which is it :D

The answer is 42

• To elaborate on Alfahdj's post, a common studio procedure can be applied:

Using the Studio Equalizer (a parametric EQ), turn the Mid 1 Gain and Mid 1 Q all the way up. While playing the guitar (or a loop), move the Mid 1 Freq knob until that flubby thing jumps out and sounds truly awful. You have now found the offending frequency! Turn down Mid 1 Gain until it feels right. You may also want to dial back the Mid 1 Q to make it "sit" better.