How to get this jazzy tone ?

• On this video, Joe Robinson is playing fingerstyle on an old Gibson ES-175 and a small Fender amp (Princeton ?).

I have an ES175, I've got Michael Britt Princeton profiles, but, even if I dont play like Joe Robinson :rolleyes:, my sound is very, very far from the one in this video..

I should be very interested by any advices !

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

There is an other video where he is playing on a 335, with the same amp..

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Ok, here is my pick on what things might be missing for your tone.

Things I think you are missing:

* A lot is in the fingerstyle, he uses the tumb with a nail to get those nice dry bass notes.

* Second, looks like the princeton is sllightly overdriven, find one like this, and control the amount of overdrive rolling your volume down.

* It also sounds he is rolling down his tone down quite a bit, after you find your volume correct, roll the tone until you get the smooth sound where you can still feel the attack of the note while playing, but not feeling the "bite" if you know what I mean (it is a very fine thing to tune, take your time), afterwards you might need to adjust your volume up a bit for the decrease of output from the tone knob.

*Once you get it feels right (and that depends a lot in your playing), you then use the EQ to get you closer. Normally MBritt profiles are really well EQed, so I do Eq after my guitar is setup for the tone I want.

*If your notes in the treble lack presence, dont go to the presence knob, better increase the compression of the amp on the Amp tab, also you can use definition to adjust the "body" of the profile so better matches the recording.

That would be my approach to get this tone. I cannot stress enough, that the tone is more on the volume and tone knob than the amp itself.

The answer is 42

• Try one of the tweed Pro’s. Either TAF or Top Jimi. It might even surpass The Princeton.

Top Jimmy sounds more studio-like, I like it a lot, so it goes without saying I recommend it a lot. But being honest, this sound should be achieveable with free profiles pretty reliably, it is all on the volume and tone knob.

The answer is 42

• Once you knock off some treble you need to turn it up as well.

I don't think you can separate the tone from the player though. A lot of his great tone comes from the playing.