Kemper powered Kab

• I live within 20 minutes of Kemper in Colorado and I am hoping I can just pick one up rather than have it shipped. Yesterday, I saw the FedEx guy get within about 10 feet of my neighbors porch and just toss the package the rest of the way.

I'd really love to just pick one up.

• I live within 20 minutes of Kemper in Colorado and I am hoping I can just pick one up rather than have it shipped. Yesterday, I saw the FedEx guy get within about 10 feet of my neighbors porch and just toss the package the rest of the way.

I'd really love to just pick one up.

Good plan, if you're not too dead lazy.

• Can the powered Kabinet be used with Helix/Fractal etc. units as well? I’m talking about just the FRFR mode of course.

The Kone speaker is designed specifically to work with the KPA and the digital wizardry employed when the Kone options are enabled on it. It is *not* an FRFR-type speaker. Some believe it is little more than a re-branded Celestion F12, but it most certainly is not.

Can you use it? Sure. Will it produce a good sound? Maybe.....but that would be little more than luck.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Can the powered Kabinet be used with Helix/Fractal etc. units as well? I’m talking about just the FRFR mode of course.

The Kone is not Flat Response by itself. The Kone DSP in the Kemper adjusts for this. Therefore, running the Kone speaker without the Kone DSP will not deliver a true FRFR sound. Some people have tried it and some even like the results so it is worth trying if you feel adventurous but be prepared for disappointing results.

On its own it probably won't sound good, since the Kemper is adding an EQ to make the Kone flat. But theoretically you can create an Impulse Response of FRFR mode (or any of the imprints), by running a frequency sweep through the Kemper on a profile that has its all its amp/cab/effects turned off and Kone mode switched on. Then you could load that IR onto Helix/Fractal or other modeler and use it with the Kabinet/Kone.

I doubt I'm the first one to think of this, but I haven't yet seen anyone say they actually tried this.

• I have made an ‘ir’ of each of the imprints and use them in a Quad Cortex in place of the QC’s regular Cab block to send to a pair of Cabs with Kones.

With just a touch of eq tweaking in the ir block and then save those tweaks per preset it really improves the sound and makes it a viable way to get away from the FRFR and closer to the cab-in-the-room sound.

Is it as effective as when I use the Stage into the Kemper Kab ? I’d say not as easy to achieve and not nearly as fast to try out different imprints but the end result sound wise is really close. Well worth doing in my mind

• I have made an ‘ir’ of each of the imprints and use them in a Quad Cortex in place of the QC’s regular Cab block to send to a pair of Cabs with Kones.

With just a touch of eq tweaking in the ir block and then save those tweaks per preset it really improves the sound and makes it a viable way to get away from the FRFR and closer to the cab-in-the-room sound.

Is it as effective as when I use the Stage into the Kemper Kab ? I’d say not as easy to achieve and not nearly as fast to try out different imprints but the end result sound wise is really close. Well worth doing in my mind

Good to know it pretty much works soundwise. Right now the Kemper is the only digital amp/modeler that I own, but I'm sure if you uploaded your Kone IRs to rig exchange, other guys who own the Kabinet and other modeling amps would love try them out.

Also if I were using this approach with a non-Kemper amp and the Kabinet/Kone, I would probably get a dedicated cheap IR pedal (like this) and load all the Kone imprint IRs to it. This would allow you to achieve fast switching of imprints... and possibly even allow the Kabinet to be used with tube amps, (although for that you probably would need an attenuator or dummy load box of some sort).

• True!

But in our case, thousands are enjoying this feature already ?

In the world of digital power amps, such a feature is critically important in some cases. Awhile back I was working on a class D power amp demo board, and found that it had a circuit in the control IC that put the chip in "protection mode" when it sensed clipping in the output. What this did on stage was make the amp shut off for a few seconds when peak output was detected. The chip was specifically designed to do this. That's a BAD thing on a loud stage, just one clean tone string snap could shut the amp off. I had to put a brick wall limiter in the design to keep the input signal from peaking the power amp.

Now if you think analog solid state amp distortion is bad, you should hear digital power amp distortion. You'll think the standard solid state amp is a Dumble by comparison.

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Air movement

Cry Baby Slash Classic Wah -> KPA -> main to FOH ->KRK6 -> Monitor out DXR10 -> EXP DVP3 -> Remote: Guitars: Slash Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop - James Tyler Variax JTV59 - Epiphone Les Paul with EMG 81 - Furch GN2 Nylon -> Maybach Lester 60 -> Kemper Powered Cab -/ Focusrite Scarlett

Would you be willing to send me those IR's?