Why does my Kemper sound so dull when recording? SOLVED

• I've had my Kemper for years and have used it primarily for playing live. When I play live, it sounds great. When I listen to it using headphones, it also sounds great. But when I connect it to my Focusrite Clarett 4 Pre and into my DAW (Reaper) it sounds dull, like someone put a blanket over my tone. If I simply unplug my headphones from my Clarett's headphone jack and plug them into the Kemper's headphone jack, all the sparkle and clarity return.

It doesn't sound like a phase issue. It's a clarity issue. It sounds like someone just dulled my sound down. I've tried recording using different cables, and have tried both SPDIF and XLR cables and I've also tried using a 1/4" cable from my Kemper's headphone out to the Clarett. It all sounds dull. I had this issue with my previous interface (Focusrite Scarlet) and I figured maybe it just wasn't high quality enough, so I upgraded to what I've been told was a nice one (the Clarett). But I'm still having the same issue. Which would lead me to think it's something in the DAW, but I don't see anything in Reaper that would affect the sound like this. Also, I should note that the "headphone space" feature is turned down to zero (off), so it's not the space effect that makes it sound so good through the headphone output.

I've got my Kemper set to 44,100 and I've made sure the Focusrite Control software is also set to 44,100. When I use the SPDIF output, I've made sure that the Focusrite is set to use the Kemper's SPDIF for the internal clock.

I have no idea what could be causing this difference in tone. Why does the headphone output sound so pristine and all other outputs

• ... If I simply unplug my headphones from my Clarett's headphone jack and plug them into the Kemper's headphone jack, all the sparkle and clarity return.

That tells you right there on where to focus (no pun intended) on the problem. I'm using a Motu M4 with TS cables and it sounds great. The Motu headphone actually sounds a tiny bit better than the Kemper headphone. Sound thru my DAW into my studio monitors is crisp and clear.

The simplest way to determine if it is your interface is to see if you can borrow another one, and another brand, and hook up the same way as your Clarett for comparison. Other than that, you can swap out your cables for new ones, and check the Focusrite Control Manager software that you do not have inputs set for mics instead of instruments, or some other incorrect setting, etc.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I've assumed you already determined that the Kemper is okay by outputting to FOH and/or monitors.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• The Kemper to FOH is totally fine. I also just tried running into Garage Band instead of Reaper to see if Reaper was the problem. I had the same issue. So it's not a Reaper setting.

I don't know what it could be in terms of being an issue with the Focusrite Clarett, because I had the same issue with my previous interface (Focusrite Scarlett). So it's not a defective interface either.

• Maybe some over-looked setting in the Control software? I'm not familiar with the Focusrite Control version so I couldn't do a walk-thru.

I would try to delete and re-install the Focusrite drivers. After the delete, make sure you do a reboot before re-install. Then just try out the interface with only one channel connected (with SPDIF disconnected), then plug in your other channels one at a time, test each, then the SPDIF.

• Is the interface connected to monitor speakers as well? If so, does the sound from the DAW via the interface monitor outputs sound as dull as via the interface headphones output?

If not, it might be that the headphone output on the interface is not as high quality as the Kemper headphone output.

The next check would be to see if the Kemper (SPDIF)/DAW /Interface /Monitors set up sounds as good as Kemper straight to Monitors.

Also, in the title of this thread you mention ". . . when recording" - does it sound dull whilst you are monitoring during recording and also when you play the recording back, or just when you play the recording back?

I probably only have questions rather than answers; however, this query crops up a lot and I don't think I've ever read a definitive answer.

• Maybe some over-looked setting in the Control software? I'm not familiar with the Focusrite Control version so I couldn't do a walk-thru.

I would try to delete and re-install the Focusrite drivers. After the delete, make sure you do a reboot before re-install. Then just try out the interface with only one channel connected (with SPDIF disconnected), then plug in your other channels one at a time, test each, then the SPDIF.

I'm on a Mac, so there are no drivers to install. I'm hearing all the inputs and outputs correctly. It's just the sound of the Kemper lacks clarity. Maybe the Clarett is just not high quality enough either.

• The interface is also connected to a pair of Yamaha HS8 monitors. But it's hard to say if the sound is dull out of the monitors because the sound coming out of a pair of HS8 speakers are naturally going to sound quite different than the sound coming through headphones. So it's not comparing apples to apples there. Whereas I would think that the sound coming from my headphone output of the Kemper should be relatively the same as the sound coming from the Clarett headphone out since I'm using the same headphones as the "speakers" in both situations.

The sound is dull while recording and also when playing the recording back through the headphones.

I'll have to test the sound of the Kemper going straight to the monitors. My guess is that it will sound fine because the Kemper sounds good when I run straight to FOH or my in-ears. But again, even in those instances, I'm not using the headphone output. So I'm not comparing apples to apples.

• Yes, the comparisons need to be apples and apples (i.e. Clarett headphone out vs. Kemper headphones out and Clarett out to monitors vs. Kemper out to monitors); however, you (and others previously) have been trying to find out what the root cause of the dullness issue is.

Assuming the Kemper itself is fine via headphones and via monitors, then logically the issue will be when the Clarett and/or the DAW are added to the equation.

Is it all outputs on the Clarett, or just the headphones out? Hence why I asked about the sound via the headphones and monitors.

You can also remove the DAW from the equation, by using the Control software to listen to the Kemper via the Clarett only (headphones and then monitors). If it still sounds dull with this arrangement, then you know the Clarett is at least in part to blame - if not wholly.

• I've used different interfaces and DAW's these past few years and I've always noticed a loss in tonal clarity with these headphone outs compared to the Kemper's HP output. I am now using an RME Babyface Pro which is by far the best box I've owned and still notice a difference. Nothing major, but it's there. I guess circuits/converters always affect the sound to a certain extent....and some more than others.

That said, the headphone output of the Kemper is top notch. :thumbup:

• I can only vouch for the Motu M4 (no SPDIF), and it sounds superb. When and if I upgrade to SPDIF I might go this route because of some fantastic reviews.

https://www.sweetwater.com/sto…18x22-usb-audio-interface

If it turns out to be the Clarett and you have to buy a new one then I suggest you try Sweetwater because they will accept free returns to swap for something else.

• I tested hooking up my Kemper directly to my monitors vs going through my Focusrite Clarett and then into the DAW and monitors. Going directly into the monitors kept the clarity. So it's definitely either an issue with several Focusrite Interfaces or the Focusrite Control software that is causing some of the clarity to disappear.

The odd issue is that this same issue happened with a previous Focusrite interface (the Saffire). So I don't think it's a "faulty" interface because the exact same thing happened with my previous one before I upgraded to the Clarett. It's also not a case of a bad headphone output on the Clarett because this issue happens with all outputs (headphone, SPDIF, 1/4").

It's also not a DAW issue because the same issue happens in both Reaper and Garage Band.

So it's either a matter of all Focusrite interfaces coloring the sound. Or there is a setting in my Focusrite Control software that is causing this. But I don't have any idea what it could be. All inputs and outputs are working as they should and sending signal. There is no EQ settings in the Focusrite Control. And I've got my DAW, Kemper and Focusrite Control all set to 44,100.

I'm completely stumped and it's annoying because I see all of these YouTube videos with people posting the most amazing sounds (which I can get live), but my recordings sound nothing like those in terms of clarity, before or after EQ'ing.

• This won't help ( so sorry in advance), but I've found the set up for focusrite to be a pain in the ass. As you said I don't think there are any settings in focusrite control that can affect it.

There are a number of focusrite users on here ( I don't use my Kemper at home) who might be able to confirm or contradict your experience and I'll try to test mine over the weekend, but I don't think I've had this issue as I've done overdubs of a live recording and the sound was the same.

All I can suggest is try to borrow another interface brand to check it...

• My Kemper recording sounds are excellent. That said, I'm very selective about the tones I end up using, as what you hear often translates different recorded. I often try a handful of tones with my recordings and select the best fit. Getting live tones requires much less scrutiny. I record from Kemper to Roland VS recorder. Recently Tone Junkie's Hiwatt (Hiwhat) tones are knocking me out.

• I've tried everything and have now got Focusrite tech support involved. Maybe they'll have a solution. If so, I'll post here in case it's helpful to others in the future.

• I'm completely stumped and it's annoying because I see all of these YouTube videos with people posting the most amazing sounds (which I can get live), but my recordings sound nothing like those in terms of clarity, before or after EQ'ing.

I can't offer any insight on the Focusrite, but I'm getting good results with both the Steinberg URxx series and my Yamaha TF5 (mixer that also serves as audio interface). The TF5 is Yamaha, and Steinberg is also owned by Yamaha.

I go analog out of the XLR mains from the Kemper and don't use spdif.

Per BayouTexan's thoughts, if you buy this from Amazon you can also easily return it. This is a USB 2 unit, they have a newer unit if you want USB 3.

https://www.amazon.com/Steinbe…B-Interface/dp/B017MVUAHM

Because Amazon's return policy is so easy, it might be worth ordering this for a side by side test with your Focusrite. Regardless of whether or not you want to keep it, it would help you compare results. If the Focusrite is muddy and the UR is clear, that tells you something about the Focusrite. However, if the UR sounds like the Focusrite, then you probably have an issue somewhere else in your system, perhaps even at the OS level.

Anyway, just one more debugging thought.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Are you using instrument cables or mic cables to plug in to your interface? If you're plugging an instrument cable into a line input, it will sound really dull and bassy. I have an ID22 with XLR/TRS hybrid inputs and assumed (wrongly) that the TRS inputs were instrument level and they are not, they're at line level. Instrument into line level won't sound good.

• Are you using instrument cables or mic cables to plug in to your interface? If you're plugging an instrument cable into a line input, it will sound really dull and bassy. I have an ID22 with XLR/TRS hybrid inputs and assumed (wrongly) that the TRS inputs were instrument level and they are not, they're at line level. Instrument into line level won't sound good.

I'm using XLR (mic) cables. I've also got SPDIF hooked up which is 100% digital. And I've tried 1/4" cables. It's definitely not a cable issue.

• I would suggest doing something a little more scientific. Get a software that can generate whitenois and frequency sweep. or create a WAV file online with whitnoise or frequency sweep. I use the Room EQ Wizard program , with which I also measured my home studio.

You do a loopback (connect the output of your interfaces to the input or use the audio output of your Mac / PC and connect this to the input of your interface).

And now you measure each whitnoise and frequency sweep.

How exactly does that work ...

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Be the force with you ;)

• I would suggest doing something a little more scientific. Get a software that can generate whitenois and frequency sweep. or create a WAV file online with whitnoise or frequency sweep. I use the Room EQ Wizard program , with which I also measured my home studio.

You do a loopback (connect the output of your interfaces to the input or use the audio output of your Mac / PC and connect this to the input of your interface).

And now you measure each whitnoise and frequency sweep.

How exactly does that work ...

External Content youtu.be

Ok, but what exactly would this do for me? I'm not incredibly knowledgeable when it comes to these types of things. I ran the REQ as you mentioned but I have no idea what I'm looking for in the results. Or how it'd even apply to my particular situation. How would this help me determine why I'm losing a little high end and clarity whenever I run into the Focusrite Clarett?

Edited once, last by OhG ().