Recording using XLR doesn't sound good

• I just bought a Kemper Profiler and I am now trying trying to record some stuff with the following configuration:

Audio interface: Presonus Audiobox itwo

XLR cable from "Main Out R" on the Kemper --> "Input 1" on the interface.

Main output set to "Master mono", Monitor output off, direct output off, SPDIF output off.

I have my interface connected to my PC using a USB cable, and use headphones connected to the audiobox for listening. However, when i have my headphones connected to the audiobox, it sounds a lot more muddy and digital, whereas if i connect the headphones straight into the kemper, the sound is much more crisp, clear, and pleasent. Am i doing things correctly?

Needless to say im new to this, and appreciate any help!

• I recently started a thread on this exact same issue. It’s on the main page. You might want to check that thread to see if it helps you in your situation. I’m still trying to find the answer myself.

• I just bought a Kemper Profiler and I am now trying trying to record some stuff with the following configuration:

Audio interface: Presonus Audiobox itwo

XLR cable from "Main Out R" on the Kemper --> "Input 1" on the interface.

Main output set to "Master mono", Monitor output off, direct output off, SPDIF output off.

Why are you going Main Out Right? You should be using the left if you have set to Master Mono.

• you might be clipping the inputs of your audio interface. Try a standard TS cable to connect the Profiler to the input of your audio interface and make sure to set the interface input to line level sensitivity. Set the volume for the output you are using to something between -10 and -15 dB.

I just checked the manual of your interface and the XLR inputs are for microphones. You need to use the TS inputs for a line level device like the Profiler and make sure to set the TS inputs to line level and not instrument level.

• you might be clipping the inputs of your audio interface. Try a standard TS cable to connect the Profiler to the input of your audio interface and make sure to set the interface input to line level sensitivity. Set the volume for the output you are using to something between -10 and -15 dB.

I just checked the manual of your interface and the XLR inputs are for microphones. You need to use the TS inputs for a line level device like the Profiler and make sure to set the TS inputs to line level and not instrument level.

I definetly doesn't sound like it's clipping, and I've tried to adjust it to make sure it isn't.

I just tried connecting the TS cable like you said from direct output to my interface, but it sounds exactly the same, dull way. It sounds like I'm loosing a lot of clarity and the reverb sounds absolutely shit!

• I definetly doesn't sound like it's clipping, and I've tried to adjust it to make sure it isn't.

I just tried connecting the TS cable like you said from direct output to my interface, but it sounds exactly the same, dull way. It sounds like I'm loosing a lot of clarity and the reverb sounds absolutely shit!

which output source have you selected for the direct output? Did you set the TS inputs from instrument to line level?

To get the best reverb sound you need to record it in stereo.

• One thing could be the quality of the Kemper headphone out (which is fantastic) vs. your interface's headphone out.

I used to have mine setup like this:

2 outs from the audio interface came back to the Profiler using the return and alternate inputs. These would supply the recorded audio playback from my DAW, in stereo.

Then I would monitor everything thru the Kemper headphone jack. Everything sounded exactly the same, whether I was playing, recording with XLR, 1/4", or SP-dif, and playing it back, it was no different, spot on.

Might be some extra work for you to try this setup, but you could rule out the difference being Kemper's quality headphone amp vs. interface's headphone amp.

If you haven't yet: also check the output settings, there are EQ's there which can be assigned to different outputs. You can view those settings in rig mgr, or in the output menu on the unit.

• As far as I am aware, if you set to Mono both outs are identical so you can use either or both and still get the same signal.

Correct weight, Alan.

Perhaps the assumption arose from the fact that when someone requires a mono feed from an interface-input pair in a DAW he or she usually chooses the L channel 'cause it's first-in-line in the pop-up list.

That'd be my bet anyway.