Anyone using a real OD with your Kemper?

• I am looking for suggestions, I have a few O.D. Pedals I want to put on my board to try - I'm just curious if you tried putting your overdrive pedals between the guitar and the input on the Kemper and if so what what made you decide to put them in the loop?

“I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.”

Dave Lee Roth of Van Halen - 1979

• I am looking for suggestions, I have a few O.D. Pedals I want to put on my board to try - I'm just curious if you tried putting your overdrive pedals between the guitar and the input on the Kemper and if so what what made you decide to put them in the loop?

It works just like hw amp do with OD in front. Using the loop is great if you want to reamp later and won't be part of the DI file when in the loop.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• I'm just curious if you tried putting your overdrive pedals between the guitar and the input on the Kemper and if so what what made you decide to put them in the loop?

Experiment and see what you like. The loop seemed to me to have more headroom for overdrives.

Before the input works fine. I chose to use the loop for a couple reasons. One is that I don't want my compressor after my drives. If that were the only reason, I'd probably invest in a Wampler mini-Ego and be done.

The loop allows me to put my drives where ever I want, as well as put whatever I want in front of them. I frequently put a pure booster in front of the loop to hit the drives a little harder. Turn the loop off....and the pure booster now hits the amp harder. Putting a chorus (or delay, flanger....whatever) before the drives is something I do quite a bit as well. It's a sound I've come to prefer recently. I'm sure I'll change back at some point.

Another reason is that I want as little as possible on the floor in front of me. I've done the big pedalboard thing and got over it pretty quickly. It's the Remote and an expression pedal. The lack of clutter also means I make a maximum of two trips loading in and out.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Before the input works fine. I chose to use the loop for a couple reasons. One is that I don't want my compressor after my drives. If that were the only reason, I'd probably invest in a Wampler mini-Ego and be done.

The loop allows me to put my drives where ever I want, as well as put whatever I want in front of them. I frequently put a pure booster in front of the loop to hit the drives a little harder. Turn the loop off....and the pure booster now hits the amp harder. Putting a chorus (or delay, flanger....whatever) before the drives is something I do quite a bit as well. It's a sound I've come to prefer recently. I'm sure I'll change back at some point.

Another reason is that I want as little as possible on the floor in front of me. I've done the big pedalboard thing and got over it pretty quickly. It's the Remote and an expression pedal. The lack of clutter also means I make a maximum of two trips loading in and out.

Excellent description, thank you! I have a gig this Saturday and I am going to put a couple of my favorite pedals on a board with the Kemper and expression pedals, not much time to mess with it before hand but if I have it setup correctly I can experiment on the fly. - Your method makes sense so I am going with it! I'll try to report back after the weekend.

“I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.”

Dave Lee Roth of Van Halen - 1979

• I use a Chase Bliss Brothers with my Toaster. While there are some tones in the box that can’t be recreated with the Kemper, the main reason I use it is having knobs on the floor for a quick change. I think the Kemper drives sounds just as good if not better, and I’d rather use amp gain and Morph (which I do too). But having something with instant visual feedback and the option to easily tweak is worth it since that is the exact same reason I am using delay and reverb as outboard effects (the pedalboard is already on the floor and I have the space for it).

I did two years of all sounds from the Kemper, it was a worthwhile experiment, but I found I like this hybrid workflow better, it is flexible. If I was touring the same setlist, I would definitely put the work in and just use the Kemper and the remote