8.1.0.27128 Public Beta - Discussion

• Let's discuss here :)

First small issue while installing:

The attached PDF in the announcement can't be downloaded ... "Access Denied"

• I cannot reproduce such issues and have also asked two colleagues, who have no issues either to download that PDF. I even tried without being logged in and it worked.

I just tried to be proactive. The Addendum 8.1 is always included in the OS update package and can be downloaded from our download page.

• I cannot reproduce such issues and have also asked two colleagues, who have no issues either to download that PDF. I even tried without being logged in and it worked.

I just tried to be proactive. The Addendum 8.1 is always included in the OS update package and can be downloaded from our download page.

Cannot download PDF either, "Access denied. You’re not authorized to view this page."

• Thanks, found it in the downloads on the main page. Just had to scroll down a bit because it doesn't show in the top with a current date. :)

Nevertheless, here's a screenshot of what I get when I click the attachment in the announcement. It happens logged in and not logged in:

• Back to topic ... Kemper Fuzz:

From a quick initial testing it seems like I can get some usable "distortion" sounds from the new Kemper Fuzz.

What I miss though is a way to get some whacky sputtering, spitting, gated craziness. I think weird feedback and self-oscillation effects (think Zvex Fuzz Factory) would be something for another future Fuzz effect. But gate/sputter/spit kind of craziness should be possible, imho.

• Back to topic ... Kemper Fuzz:

From a quick initial testing it seems like I can get some usable "distortion" sounds from the new Kemper Fuzz.

What I miss though is a way to get some whacky sputtering, spitting, gated craziness. I think weird feedback and self-oscillation effects (think Zvex Fuzz Factory) would be something for another future Fuzz effect. But gate/sputter/spit kind of craziness should be possible, imho.

A gated fuzz would be a nice addition. Perhaps even a 'gate' parameter in the effect itself so you could add it to sounds not normally associated.

I've forgotten which shaper I used, but at one point, but I hacked something together using either the bit shaper or Recti (now Octa) Shaper. Got pretty splitty, splatty. You might also try place a gate before/after the fuzz. Not ideal, of course but an option.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• First Bug report regarding the new preset management:

You can choose any effect from the preset list in Rig Manager and it will load up just fine. However, once you lock it into place, you cannot change the preset anymore. Try locking in a Natural Reverb, lock it and try to pick a Cirrus Reverb preset (or a whole different effect preset for that matter). It will not load up and stay on the Natural Reverb preset as long as this effect is locked. You also cannot load up any different kind of effect, it will just be disregarded without notice until you unlock that effect and try again. Furthermore, the same is true for the preset list on the very top (the factory baked in ones). No parameters will change as long as the effect is locked.

The only thing that will effectively change the effect is if you select a different effect and either choose "Load Type" or "Load Default".

This is the very first thing I noticed, as I always use the lock function on my Kemper. Please note that I only tried this with Rig Manager and not the unit itself. It may behave differently.

By the way, I also couldn't download the PDF attached to the Announcement post because it said "not authorized" for some reason.

I have yet to play with the new fuzz effect. Anyways, I'm really liking what I read in the changelog and I appreciate all efforts by our beloved Kemper team to improve the Profiler and specifically RM 8):thumbup:

• Did you report the bug through the official form? You can't count on it being spotted here ...

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Did you report the bug through the official form? You can't count on it being spotted here ...

While I am certain the Team monitors these threads very carefully as they have done before, I have yet to file an official bug report. This was just a 5 minute look into the new firmware. Once I have a few minutes to spare tonight, I'll make sure to test all new features thoroughly and report back to Kemper because that's what the Public Betas are for, right?

My post should be rather seen as a warning to all fellow users who rely on the lock function as much as I do. I was actually surprised no one brought this up. Well, I can't wait to play more later today and see what's up.

• But gate/sputter/spit kind of craziness should be possible, imho

I've just tested the 'octa' parameter and it gates the tone very much :thumbup:

used in parallel with general noise gate knob ( the big one ) you'll gate to 3 sec sustain max

it's strange that the gate @10 does still allow a bit of riging

but overall it's dead silent for a fuzz :huh:

• Does the germanium fuzz setting works for the amazing glassy clean tone you get when you max out the fuzz and turn down your volume pot?

I've tested it , and it does not seem to behave like you want so far in my experiments.

However , using the tweaks and presets led me to some similar results but I don't really understand how knobs interact together yet. It's truly a weird arsenal of knobs with some great gate / LP and octavia tones.

• I'm impressed by the fuzz tones I could get after only 45 min of play. It's much more easy to mix than my actual fuzzes.

Here is a demo track featuring some home made tweaks and presets

All tones ( 10 tracks , natural double tracking ) had some fuzz at some point, even the cleans, to give a dirty vibe.

https://rocki.app/track/157311199

Gear :

brand new maple neck PRS silversky ( hell yeah it's my own 50 yo birthday present :)

VOX AC50 profile with gain around 2/3 ( gain changes seems to change the tones of the fuzz a lot , so I kept my amp almost clean )