8.1.0.27128 Public Beta - Discussion

• Curious as to what they mean by: "changed: progression of Ducking parameter" Is this in regards to a specific effect with a ducking parameter or in general?

The story is: We always care for scaling each parameter in the best manner, for the best feel when adjusting your sound.

Since quite a time, I was not happy with the scaling of the Ducking parameters. At a value of only 1.4, for example, you had about full impact of the ducking. We have rescaled this parameter, so that you similar intensity much later at a value of around 2.5. This results in finer control of the ducking. No big thing, but it was on my list since quite a time.

• Thank you!

I can ensure you that the effect of increasing the fuzz volume or the amp gain results in the same effect.

We prefer to leave the fuzz volume at mid position (unity). As it is well known that many fuzz aficionados prefer to play a fuzz in to a cleanish amp to only rely on the fuzz distortion. And we can never anticipate what amp and amp gain follows after the fuzz.

All presets that we present are an offer to you to show the ability of the effects and inspire you.

Our effect preset feature, which is truly not standard in todays digital guitar amps, allow us to create effects with more deep parametes than usual. There is no need to understand the purpose of every deep parameter, to make use of the effect. Just chose a preset that fits to the situation, then apply small changes to make it perfect.

We are confident that our effect presets are not just taken as we made it.

It is cruical to put the hands on standard parameters, usually positioned to the left.

On delays and reverbs you should always set the Mix and Delay Time or Reverb Length to fit to your music.

On Fuzz, Overdrives and Distortions you should always check Drive and Volume, as well as your Amp Gain, as you would do on analog gear as well.

• I can ensure you that the effect of increasing the fuzz volume or the amp gain results in the same effect.

We prefer to leave the fuzz volume at mid position (unity). As it is well known that many fuzz aficionados prefer to play a fuzz in to a cleanish amp to only rely on the fuzz distortion. And we can never anticipate what amp and amp gain follows after the fuzz.

Thank you for the clarification and further explanations regarding your thought process behind your decisions!

(Also I'm always amazed that the boss himself still takes some time even around midnight to look into the forum and engages in discussions - highly appreciated by all of us users 8))

I understand and agree with your reasoning. It makes sense to use unity volume as a general starting point for fuzz and overdrive effects. To get the best of both worlds, I would still like to suggest to maybe add a "Boost" type preset for the Kemper Drive (i.e. Klon Boost) or a "Germanium Preamp Boost" preset for the Fuzz, as the Preamp preset already sounds glorious with any amp profile.

This could prove to be some sort of compromise to get all users on board who rather use their pedals to boost driven amps even further and would like to find a factory preset ready to go without relying on features as Morphing etc. - just as a suggestion. I do have to say that I like your factory fuzz presets very much as well as the approach of creating a "one for all" solution, which is super versatile and covers all kinds of sounds with a single set of parameters:thumbup:

Also I'll explore the fuzz volume vs. the amp gain a bit further, because I am certain to hear a slight difference between these two, even while knowing that technically it should sound exactly the same. I'll try a frequency analyzer and a blind test, because now I start to doubt my very own perception ^^

The story is: We always care for scaling each parameter in the best manner, for the best feel when adjusting your sound.

Since quite a time, I was not happy with the scaling of the Ducking parameters.

This change went a bit under the radar besides the new fuzz, but thank you!

I noticed the very same behavior and appreciate the change. This wider spectrum will allow for finder adjustments.

• Wow totally blown away by how you continue to innovate Kemper, thank you so much! It sounds fantastic! Question for all you fuzz aficionados, if one wanted to get their inner Billy Corgan on, any recommendations on how to dial in an opamp big muff or Jordan bosstone fuzz circuit?

• After spending 20 or so minutes using a clean amp and sampling each preset....I'm shocked at the Fuzz presets. Just like a 'real' fuzz - most don't like (read: hate) having anything in front of them. For those who read the manual, that may not be news. But dang.

The way it reacts to drives and shapers after it is just nuts. The dark fuzz with a soft Octa shaper after it into a clean Fender is just filthy.

Advertisement:

Kemper Profiler (Now with Fuzz!!): A Magic Box of filthy fun!!

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I understand and agree with your reasoning. It makes sense to use unity volume as a general starting point for fuzz and overdrive effects. To get the best of both worlds, I would still like to suggest to maybe add a "Boost" type preset for the Kemper Drive (i.e. Klon Boost) or a "Germanium Preamp Boost" preset for the Fuzz, as the Preamp preset already sounds glorious with any amp profile.

This could prove to be some sort of compromise to get all users on board who rather use their pedals to boost driven amps even further and would like to find a factory preset ready to go without relying on features as Morphing etc. - just as a suggestion.

Well, the whole boost story is a bit of a mysterium to me.

Many guitarists pay a lot of money to get a "transparent boost" or "clean boost" type of device to push into the amp, without colouring the signal.

Best example is the analog Klon, that does a transparent boost when drive is all to the left, and tone to the middle.

While transparently boosting a signal is one of the most effortless task done in the pedal world, many guitarists are happy to utilize a $400.- Klon to do this job and cancel out the fantastic and expensive tone shaping features by turning the drive to zero.

A TC Electronics Spark for about a tenth of this price does the very same job. It seems that the guitar world is unable to communicate these findings.

I would not feel well to furtherly feed these myths and make an ambitious distortion pedal sound like a transparent boost. To me that's snake oil.

For the purpose of clean boosting we have the "Pure Booster" effect on board since day one!

It has only one parameter.

I wonder if it is helpful to make presets for this one parameter, however.

I hope I could answer your question.

• The story is: We always care for scaling each parameter in the best manner, for the best feel when adjusting your sound.

Since quite a time, I was not happy with the scaling of the Ducking parameters. At a value of only 1.4, for example, you had about full impact of the ducking. We have rescaled this parameter, so that you similar intensity much later at a value of around 2.5. This results in finer control of the ducking. No big thing, but it was on my list since quite a time.

makes sense. I always found that when setting the ducking value, very low values even 0.3 are significant, and quite often what I’m after is just a bit of a duck so that when I strum chords the ambience isn’t lost but lowered for clarity.

• I was going through all the 20 new KPR Fuzz....and I'd like to suggest something for future RM improvements.

1) In RM/Performance mode: when you select one from the list, it's now loaded into the slot but there's no way to tell which Fuzz is selected. If i had say 5 different performances with 5 different Fuzz how would I know which Fuzz is loaded in a given performance (unless I miss something)?

BTW same goes for all the KPR Drives

Possible solution: a description under the slot that shoes what Fuzz/Drive is loaded

2) In RM/Performance mode: right click on the Fuzz and you have to go through the whole menu (Distortion/Kemper Fuzz/list of Fuzz) before being able to select a different Fuzz. Same goes for the Kemper Drives.

Possible solution: right click on the Fuzz/Drives and only show the that menu

TBH, I'd like to see point 2 implemented for every effect (exception being the AMP)

• BTW chaps try the Fuzz dialed back in combo with a Treble Booster for some truly great chimey chewy and articulate vintage Neil Young territory sounds.

• Maybe it's my computer (Hackintosh with Gigabyte Designaire Mainboard, Big Sur), but all my USB ports shut down as soon as the update is transferred to the Kemper and the process get's stuck at a few percent. After restarting, the Kemper still works fine. I did not have this problem with previous updates and the computer runs stable otherwise.

• Well, the whole boost story is a bit of a mysterium to me.

[...]

I hope I could answer your question.

Yes - thank you for your detailed explanation!

I must admit the "Klon Boost" really was the worst example I could pick because I didn't have a transparent boost in mind lol

When talking about using a (drive or fuzz) pedal to boost, I mean a "dirty" boost including some tone shaping capabilities - the Hudson Broadcast is a good example as this was the original purpose of this pedal based on an old transformer based germanium console preamp, which results in a nice coloring of the boosted signal when used right.

For an effect based transparent boost on the Profiler the "Pure Booster" is indeed the best option.

I will create some more presets similar to the "Preamp" preset of the Kemper Fuzz with some additional volume to create some great tone shaping-boosts. The new Kemper Fuzz sounds incredibly good after all and I do applaud your mindset of not wanting to further strengthen superstitions and myths in the world of guitar effects of which there are too many already!

• 2) In RM/Performance mode: right click on the Fuzz and you have to go through the whole menu (Distortion/Kemper Fuzz/list of Fuzz) before being able to select a different Fuzz. Same goes for the Kemper Drives.

Possible solution: right click on the Fuzz/Drives and only show the that menu

When I load a fuzz (or anything else with presets) - the next time I right click, the menu puts the fuzz preset menu at the very top. No having to dig.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• After a bit of experiments , I have to say these fuzzes are the only thing I was missing from an amp :

the thick layer of filth & dirt , growls and madness that I previously had with my great fuzz collection.

It's now much more easy to get these early sabbath & jack White style tone for instance. A stoner's paradise ( or might say hell !!)

The integration of these in the KPA signal chain allow to keep the whole tone 'clean' , without unwanted noise , and surprisingly easy to mix.

Combination of Kone , new fuzz algo and glorious profiles , wow , spectacular experience and tons of inspiration.

You guys deserve all my respect for all that involvement in building a better guitar exp.

• Indeed.Everyone should at least take a look into these fuzzes.It is not only for fuzz lovers.It is a mighty colouration tool.Very cool because it is fat,organic and very musical.

• Is your Mac Pro running macOS 10.13 or higher?

im running High Sierra 10.13.3,i just came to my office and i run RM,i click on check for software updates and i get he notification window to install RM beta,is wierd that on my home computer i never get the notification to instal RM beta.

Guitar: Fender Strat HSS<3 Schecter Custom Solo II

Signal Chain: Kemper->AxeFX 3>Neural QC>Apollo Twin->M-Audio Monitors

Computer:Mac Studio