8.1.0.27128 Public Beta - Discussion

• I just wanted to add that I've had the KP for a few weeks only. I came for the amp profiles but I was really blown away by the effects in quality and quantity. Now that these new fuzz boxes have been added its just unbelievable. For a ten year old design that is still supported its just unheard of these days.

I get the discussion about backing off the volume to lay off the fuzz, but if its that big of a deal, why not just put your fuzz in front of the KP and do your thing?

• ... if its that big of a deal, why not just put your fuzz in front of the KP and do your thing?

That's what I (and probably others) do, when we want to. :)

As I said somewhere in the beginning of this thread, I can get some usable (nice) tones out of these Kemper Fuzz parameters. For me, personally, it's much better than the Kemper Drive.

But still, this is a Beta so we can discuss the shortcomings / differences to real world Fuzz pedals.

• I am a little late to this discussion but i really like the update. Very stable and the new fuzz fx sound great. Especially the ImpedancsLP and Octa parameters are fantastic. I can get a lot of splatty fuzz variations with just these two controls. Thanks a lot.

• One more of these threads which explain and show why we guitar players need drummers and keyboarders to fix our gear needs during the last 60 years or so..:S

(This smiley has become somehow my favorite one lately)

• Thx for the explanations Mr CK, I'm a heavy tone & vol guitar pot user. I will definitely try the treble booster then.

Could you clarify the docs sentence :

The extremely low input impedance of the fuzz causes the volume potentiometer on your guitar to clean out the fuzz very quickly when turned down, which is an extremely welcome feature. Unfortunately, this effect cannot be simulated in the digital world, unless a true low input impedance is presented to your guitar. The PROFILER Stage features a hardware impedance placed in the guitar input to exactly simulate this behavior.

I really thought ( maybe I was naive) you did this on purpose to mimic the famous tone pot behavior, but maybe you had something else in mind ?

• Verdict:

Okay.... wow....

This has been the greatest update for me yet. I am a huge Fuzz fan and so far it has always been the one thing I missed with my Kemper. I constantly try to acquire vintage fuzzes and even pre-ordered the Boss Tone Bender. But playing with the new Kemper Fuzz solved 100% of my sound wishes.

I'm literally blown away. These are the kind of updates I'd pay good money for - getting them for free feels like Christmas to me.

The Kemper just opened its doors for everything from ZZ Top, Jack White, Queens of the Stone Age and so on.

What a money saver this thing is!

I can only take my hat off and say thanks, ckemper and company!

Possible Improvement:

Would love to see Tone Bender MK II and MK III presets in the future.

I'm also wondering if there shouldn't be a simple "tone knob" since I find some of the fuzzes very bright. I realize I can change that with definition and other parameters but they all are a bit different to a tone setting, aren't they?

Bugs encountered so far:

- Not sure if that was the case before, but when I activate a preset on the Kemper Fuzz it doesn't show which one is activated. On the drop down menu there should be a little symbol to show which preset we're using. When I play around trying different Fuzz presets I often forget which one I'm actually on and there's no indication whatsoever. Would definitely make sound building easier if there was a visual indication.

- As has been reported before I cannot change the stomp box in a locked slot anymore.

• I really thought ( maybe I was naive) you did this on purpose to mimic the famous tone pot behavior, but maybe you had something else in mind ?

I had exactly this in mind!

There is no other way to control this exact transition from fat to glassy with the volume pot of the guitar then using a real resistor.

But when it's about achieving that glassy sound only (stand alone without fuzz), there is more straight forward methods around.

• One more of these threads which explain and show why we guitar players need drummers and keyboarders to fix our gear needs during the last 60 years or so..:S

(This smiley has become somehow my favorite one lately)

Sorry for that.

I will rewind and put my business hat on.

Truth is that no glassy sound is doable without the "True Impedance" feature. One need to update to a Profiler Stage for that.

• Sorry for that.

Truth is that no glassy sound is doable without the "True Impedance" feature. One need to update to a Profiler Stage for that.

Do any of the recent Toaster or Rack units have this ability? Why was it not put on all of them? Is this something we could mod in some way?

• Sorry for that.

Christoph you better start to understand the psyche of guitar players:Religious minds.Glowing shiny tubes being the "holy grail" of sound and old germanium or whatever cheap transistors & fets in colorful stomp boxes fit perfectly into this myth.This is hard to fight.Myths are hard to fight.

I suggest patience.;)

• Ned Steinberger stopped building for guitarists in large part because we are a giant pain in arsch. He's said as much.

If you think about it - every other type of musician has their quirks, but guitarists make the rest of them combined look entirely normal. When *other* musicians look at electric guitar players and say "Dude......that's really odd....."? You know you're on to (or on) something.

We ask for 'new'....but when they get it they say (with indignance) "Not what I meant." We then proceed to vacuum up new guitars that...look.....like, uhm.....old guitars. We cling to amplifier designs rooted in the 1800s and guitar design rooted in the 50s. We insist our new effects sound just like the old ones.....or pay STUPID money for vintage equipment (Klon Centaur being but one example.)

May God have mercy on our souls when AnalogMan runs out of the chips he uses for the King of Tone.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Drive and more so fuzz is its own cultish terrain, and I sort of think it’s justified. But from a sound inventor’s standpoint, it’s probably a kind of thankless preoccupation. I hope that the concerns of the fuzz fanatics do get heard, but also that Kemper’s decision to go down this road at all—and for free—is acknowledged. He’s already delivered the best fuzz(ez) that I’ve experienced in the digital domain.

It is frustrating to be a powered head devotee now that there are relevant sonic considerations for buying a stage, and wondering if/when the toaster will be updated.

But these are privileged problems to consider.

• We are ambivalent.We as guitar players.It is not funny.It is often just very sad.As soon as we see a glowing tube we feel better.Or s8meone whispers "new old stock tubes" or "old germanium"..Still in 2021.I am no exception.I have to admit this.

Take these new fuzz machines here.They sound great.Fat.Organic.Great vibe.Nice inspiration.They fit to everything within the profiler:amp gain,drives,boosts,eqs..with everything under control of the noise gate and the other tools.It is great for recording.I mean GREAT!

Who ever tried to record extreme fuzz guitar into a dense mix will know how hilarious difficult this is.But with the fuzz machine it is just freakin' awesome.

Yet after a few days we have like 7-8 pages on this thread with only a dozen or so posts which express their delight about this new tool.Lets compare this with other silly threads about the editor..

Ofcourse I like allnthe guys here with their "constructive whining"..I would not expect something different.It is good to name the weak spots.Makes good things better.

But seriously..these fuzzes are so good I would have expected more "rejoices" to be absolutely honest.And I have the feeling I am not the only one.

Nevermind.

• Sorry for that.

Is there a simple way to simulate this kind of load with resistor connected to the guitar output (jus to check the resulting sound) or it is more complicated circuit(LRC)?

• Christoph you better start to understand the psyche of guitar players:Religious minds.Glowing shiny tubes being the "holy grail" of sound and old germanium or whatever cheap transistors & fets in colorful stomp boxes fit perfectly into this myth.This is hard to fight.Myths are hard to fight.

I suggest patience.;)

Sure, I know.

I am studying guitarists since more than two decades.

A good start would be a Profiler without the Pure Booster but another booster with secret sauce.

And SPDIF that would only deliver 96 kHz.

That would totally relax me. There is so many ideas :)