Greenback cab...show it some love...

• The Siggi Mehl should be on your Kemper with any of the last few firmware updates. You'll need to save the cab from the Siggi Mehl profile to use it with other amp profiles.

I think you can also lock the cab section if you just want to try it out with other amps first.

pm donbarzini if you need any help.

• I just noticed something today:

I exported and saved the Siggi Mehl Lead 4x12 Greenback cab.
    Next, just for fun, I exported the same cab of the Siggi Mehl D.Mod Crunch, which is the same cab miced with the same mic (and both off axis).
    Then I exported the Baldis 802 4x12 Greenback cab, which again is the same cab, same mic, again off axis.

To be honest, up until now, I did not think there would be a difference, as they all appear to be the same...on paper (e.g. rig pack release notes).
    But upon comparing all three cabs (which, according to the release notes of the rig pack are the same), they all sound radically different.
    I much preferred the Siggi Mehl Lead cab of those 3.

Why do they sound so different, if it is the same cab, same mic, same mic position?

I'm guessing, the cab or mic was slightly moved or altered (in position) during the various profilling processes.
    To be honest, I thought the cab and mic was at the same place and they just switched amp heads at Kemper. But obviously, this was not the case.

So, this goes to show that you should extract all Greenback cabs of the various profiles (if you like Greenbacks) and test every single one of them.
    The difference is really quite dramatic.

Is everybody aware of that, or am I just being slow (again) today? :D

• You have the power amp in it as well, and it is probably being differently driven in the 3 profiles...

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• I have to correct some of my statements regarding gthe Greenback history as I got two things mixed up:

The G12M20 was NOT an alnico speaker. The alnico Celestion was labeled G12 only (no "M") and existed in various colors. I believe the silver ones are the ones in the first Marshall cabs (and this would be the ones Eric Clapton had in his Bluesbreaker 2x12" combo).

The G12M20 however was the first ceramic speaker from Celestion and the "M" stood for "medium sized magnet". It was a ceramic magnet but I 've read there were otherwise identical to a G12. I've never compared the two as G12 silver alnicos from the 60s are not really common in Germany - I've never seen one - but I go by the word of the speaker experts over at plexi palace. The G12M20 was released in 1960 but Marshall didn't switch from alnico to ceramic completely until 1965 from what I've read. And that is the reason Clpaton's Bluesbreaker (which after recent research was probably a true one-off and not a production Series II combo) could have any of those.

They later upped the wattage of the ceramic G12M to 25 Watt and that would be the G12M25 that Hendrix used to regularly blow as I previously wrote. Marshall then released the cabs with the "100 Watt" label in the upper left corner and those would have the G12H30 55Hz speakers as I wrote in my previous post. There was a 75Hz version as well but I'm not sure if any legendary guitarist used them. For whatever I read and heard from people who'd been there back in the days, they all used the "bass cone" with 55Hz.

• I'm waiting to see the words, "Tills 4x12 Greenback" cab. :)

At this point in time the Tills cabs are still miles ahead of anything else.

IMO, YMMV. :)

For modern sounds they certainly are and high-gain sounds do need Tills cabs.

But for classic rock I found Tills cabs close to useless. In that genre you'd need much more midrange and much less treble and bass. The typical sound of Tills cabs are pure tonal heaven for modern high-gain players but those old farts playing Free, Cream and Hendrix would probably find them very fizzy and unpleasent. On the other hand many younger player utterly hate Greenbacks or old Marshall sounds. It's all JCM and later for them which is perfectly fine. It's all a matter of taste.

But frankly: The Siggi Mehl Greenback is a perfect representation of a typical vintage Greenback-cab sound. Also Pete's cab is another perfect example. If you think Tills cabs are still better you just might not like Greenbacks and their sound.

There was another Greenback cab among those profiles:
    http://www.silentundergroundstudio.com/toysettings.htm

Personally I think that just plain sucks. It sounds nothing like a vintage Greenback, not even in the ballpark. It sounds like a tortured cat to me. But I'm sure somebody will like it, as it sounds closer to Tills V30's cabs. If a Till-Greenback would sound anything like that "silentundergroundstudio" I'd be not interested.

• Where can I find Pete's Greenback cab?

Look for okstrats 1970 100 Watt Marshall. He used an original 1972 cab and he mentioned Jiom from scumback said it were the original pulsonic cones in it. It's not clear wheter they are G12M or G12H also I think it sounds more like a G12H which would give a nice contrast to the Siggi Mehl cab which most likely are G12M25's.

• The Kemper is better than a girlfriend...actually your wife should prefer the girlfriend...she would keep you less time away... :D

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Look for okstrats 1970 100 Watt Marshall. He used an original 1972 cab and he mentioned Jiom from scumback said it were the original pulsonic cones in it. It's not clear wheter they are G12M or G12H also I think it sounds more like a G12H which would give a nice contrast to the Siggi Mehl cab which most likely are G12M25's.

Thanks bro! Will check it out!

• I prefer the early G12M 75Hz, second would be a vintage G12M 55Hz... The present G21H is icepicks to me, but there are some that think it records well, even though it "icepicky" live. It probably would be good with a Royer or a Vintage 414...

• Look for okstrats 1970 100 Watt Marshall. He used an original 1972 cab and he mentioned Jiom from scumback said it were the original pulsonic cones in it. It's not clear wheter they are G12M or G12H also I think it sounds more like a G12H which would give a nice contrast to the Siggi Mehl cab which most likely are G12M25's.

Playing these Profiles now, man!, they're sooo good, and the cab is awesome.
    Try this cab with Andy's "Wem Full" Profile...ridiculous how good it sounds.