4. Volume Pedal - Output (2) 5%
    5. Kemper Boost, Overdrive or Distortion (11) 29%
    6. Morphing - by rig volume and or gain (22) 58%
    7. Morphing by boosting an overdrive or boost module (12) 32%
    8. Switch to another Rig (23) 61%
    9. External Overdrive, Distortion or other source. (1) 3%
    10. Guitar Volume Knob - Only (6) 16%
    11. Other (3) 8%

Any other detail you can leave would be helpful IE... Range of volume pedal, type of overdrive or distortion, morphing by volume boost number of DBs boosted etc...

“I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.”

Dave Lee Roth of Van Halen - 1979

Edited 2 times, last by sstauffer ().

• Currently I boost rig volume using the morph function. - 2 or 3 DB for clean, 4 -5 DB for crunch and 5 - 6 DB for dirty

“I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.”

Dave Lee Roth of Van Halen - 1979

• I'm currently using Pure Boost but want to explore other options as well since this is driven by MIDI in my Cubase project.

Voted / posted mostly just to be on this thread and hear what everyone else does so I can learn from their experience.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• I do 2 things:

1) Use another rig because I prefer Mesa lead sound to a Marshall that I use for Rhythm

2) I morph my other sounds for boost for riffs. So I have a boost ( volume, bit of gain and bit of mid and treble for cut) set up on my other performance sounds, but mainly used on my main rhythm sound. Volume is less than my solo sound, so sort of in between to just make the riffs stand out in a twin guitar band. I don't use an expression pedal because I want instant and binary boost. I don't know the db as I adjusted it/refined it by ear.

For me the problem with using volume pedal or riding the guitar volume is its imprecise. Guitar volume affects the gain as well, which might be preferable, but assuming your volume is half on, you then need to set your gain based on that value and hope the associated gain and volume increase are what you want - but I understand the convenience.

In other words, my way is the right way ha!!!

• Assuming you use Performance mode, I use a separate rig entirely. Sometimes it's small changes and I think "Just morph or add a boost".

But I settled on one method so I don't have to remember one more thing mid-song.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I don't use an expression pedal because I want instant and binary boost.

For me the problem with using volume pedal or riding the guitar volume is its imprecise.

But I settled on one method so I don't have to remember one more thing mid-song.

In aggregate, this kinda sums up my approach. I run my volume knob on full all the time and typically take a binary approach to boosts for solos because I'm a simple creature and want to focus on performance without having to tap dance or perform other such guitaristic choreography.

You can certainly get a lot more subtlety out of riding the volume knob / pedal, but no one has ever accused me of being subtle.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• In aggregate, this kinda sums up my approach. I run my volume knob on full all the time and typically take a binary approach to boosts for solos because I'm a simple creature and want to focus on performance without having to tap dance or perform other such guitaristic choreography.

You can certainly get a lot more subtlety out of riding the volume knob / pedal, but no one has ever accused me of being subtle.

I think I'm even more simple and definitely not subtle :)

• I morph the amp volume (same effect as rig volume but simpler to set accurately) from 0 to +4db

Talking about "Rig volume and Amp volume" being the same thing, I don't think they are. From my research and people here, Amp (Profile) volume will increase the signal going into the effects from my understanding while rig volume does not and just simply raises the volume.

• Clselby is correct. They are amost exactly the same thing unless you have FX that are input sensitive after the Amp. An example would be a compressor. Turning up Rig Volume doesn’t increae the amount of compression but turning up Amp volume does.

I also think where in the chain you're placing the pure booster matters quite a bit. The way I've used it - in front of the amp and drives - it will compress them more (and give a little volume kick, provided things aren't already super-compressed. I'm a squeaky-clean to mid-gain player).

In that configuration, it does not behave like Rig Volume. Each decibel of added (clean) gain is muted by the drives and amp after it.

Place it in the X slot (and assuming what's after isn't input sensitive) - it works like Rig Volume. Correct?

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche