The "Black Goop Session" - now done

• Hi,

I have now been doing another profiling session. I didn't have time to record any video this time but I did have time to record three short demos.

The aim with this session was to get closer to three types of sounds I really like/want/need.

1. I love Larry Carton's clean sound. I want it! I know some people will call me a non-original copycat but I'm cool with that because I know
    that even if I get that kind of fat sound to go with a 335 style guitar I will still end up sounding like me and not like Larry C. ;)
    Guitar used in the clip was a Collings I-35.

Black Goop Clean

2. I also love some of Larry Carlton's overdrive sounds. The aim here was not to exactly match the tones but rather to match the dynamics of the tones. The way the sound reacts to picking dynamics but also to the use of both the volume on the guitar and the use of a volume pedal before the amp. This sound is very hard to play as the dynamics really can screw you up if your not on top of them. The amp from where this sound took its inspiration is very hard to play if you want to get the most of it so from this perspective my profile is cool.
    Guitar used in the clip was a Collings I-35.

Black Goop Lead

3. A Marshall type sound that works with a three single coil Strat type guitar. It should be fat enough to work with single coils (even the
    bridge position 8) ) but not so fat as to overshadow the sonic detail of a good single coil pu. It should also be very dynamic and respond well to dynamic playing and changing the volume on my guitar should clean up the guitar very well. I want three gain levels with this type. Cleanish, crunch and high gain lead (with some more mids). I didn't quite get the cleanish the way I wanted but I will upload it anyway. If you do try the cleanish, test to increase the gain as I think it sounds nice as a crunchier rhythm sound.
    Guitar used in the clip was a Tyler Classic with maple fretboard.
    SC Fat Crunch

I will upload 6 profiles, three from each setup.
    Black Goop is the Carlton inspired setup. The Clean is excellent with some treble rolled off for some jazzier sounds. Experiment with the amp compression setting and tone controls to make the sound fit your guitars. The Lead is a lead sound you really have to work with but it's sooo rewarding when I really get into it. Try a volume pedal before this amp as it cleans up really nice. If you set the gain to minimum you will get a very fat clean sound. The Boost is also a lead sound with slightly more gain but I engaged the boost at the profiled product to give more mids and a somewhat smoother sound. This is slightly easier to play but doesn't clean up as well.

The Marshall style profiles are called SC Fat. SC is short for Single Coils. My favorite here is the Crunch that is way more dynamic than I had hoped. The Lead is smoother, has more gain and more mids and while it definitely doesn't get clean I get a huge variety of useful sound levels using the volume control on my guitar.

A word about the rigs in which you'll find these profiles.
    I have put some fx both before and after the amps. Before I put a boost and often two lead boosts. The reason for two lead boosts is that I optimized/"tuned" the frequency for my pickups. So try them. The KPA boost is excellent to just increase the gain to give an extra kik to the amp.

To get these sounds I had to borrow a few not all too common products (some of them I couldn't afford) under the condition that I didn't tell anyone what products I was using and who I borrowed them from. The owner was afraid the product builder would be angry if he lent the product for profiling purposes. I'm used to working under NDA conditions so I have no problem with that and will honor those agreements. I will not answer any questions regarding these profiles. If you can't play a profile unless you know the amp, this is not for you. If you only care about good sounds, then feel free to play if you like them

The reason I call the session the Black Goop Profiling Session as some of the product builders use the practice of putting some black goop over critical design components in the products so people can't tell what's doing what.

Please note that these sounds may not be what you expect but they work for me. They take me closer to what I want when playing the way I do with the guitars I prefer for these sounds. They do not make me sound/play like Larry Carlton and will probably not do that to any other person either. ;) Having said that, I do hope you enjoy them and that you will make great music with them.

II will post the profiles on the exchange. Free of charge but I will happily accept Paypal donations to [email protected]. :D

Cheers,

Mats N

• 3. A Marshall type sound that works with a three single coil Strat type guitar. It should be fat enough to work with single coils (even the
    bridge position ) but not so fat as to overshadow the sonic detail of a good single coil pu. It should also be very dynamic and respond well to dynamic playing and changing the volume on my guitar should clean up the guitar very well. I want three gain levels with this type. Cleanish, crunch and high gain lead (with some more mids). I didn't quite get the cleanish the way I wanted but I will upload it anyway. If you do try the cleanish, test to increase the gain as I think it sounds nice as a crunchier rhythm sound.
    Guitar used in the clip was a Tyler Classic with maple fretboard.
    SC Fat Crunch

Personally, I don't really care for Larry Carlton's sound but - oh boy! - awesomenessnessnessness doesn't even begin to describe the sound of that Marshall clip!
    Bummer I'm not at home and can't fire up the KPA - but honestly - this sounds freakin' amazing!

Just one question: what pickups are you using on that Tyler in bridge and neck?

• Quote from schneidas

Personally, I don't really care for Larry Carlton's sound but - oh boy! - awesomenessnessnessness doesn't even begin to describe the sound of that Marshall clip!
    Bummer I'm not at home and can't fire up the KPA - but honestly - this sounds freakin' amazing!

Just one question: what pickups are you using on that Tyler in bridge and neck?

Hi,

Glad you find it acceptable. The pickups are Tylers own Hot Lauras, The pickup are not hot despite their name. They were named after one of Jim's friends whose name is Laura and she's a hot looking woman according to Jim. :D

Cheers,

Mats N

• Tyler Hot Lauras? Ok - will check on those.
    Edit: Alnico 2 or 5 version? (sounds like A5 in the clips but I could be wrong)
    Are you using 3x 250k with those singles? (just asking - so I can have an idea what to expect with my own guitars)

Glad you find it acceptable

LOL, what an understatement! :D

• Well, I tried them out and love them. Very rare that I don't want to tweak something on a downloaded rig. The surprise is the clean rig with the boosts on. 8o

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Tyler Hot Lauras? Ok - will check on those.
    Edit: Alnico 2 or 5 version? (sounds like A5 in the clips but I could be wrong)
    Are you using 3x 250k with those singles? (just asking - so I can have an idea what to expect with my own guitars)

Hi,

I honestly don't know. Got the guitar fairly recently and haven't checked any of that yet.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Well, I tried them out and love them. Very rare that I don't want to tweak something on a downloaded rig. The surprise is the clean rig with the boosts on. 8o

Hi,

Glad you noticed. I did spend a lot of time really trying to fine tune the boosts and OD for these profiles.

Cheers,

Mats N

• I downloaded them all a while ago and had a go!

They all sound superb and will definitely stay in my standard rigs, Mats!!! :thumbup:
    Also true the clean is a killer!!!

What I also liked are the stomps you have chosen, I won't change any, I like what each and one by one adds to the final sound! Very good job, mate!!! :thumbup:

• Love the Marshall sounds. They have so much of a JTM vibe und you can hear the Bassmann heritage of the circuit right there. My strat loves the fat crunch for SRV licks. And btw: My Les Paul digs those profiles too ;)

I also really like the Dumble-style sounds, they set a new standard on the Kemper for this kind of sounds.

Mats, are you allowed at least to disclose the cabs you used? They sound killer as well.

• Sorry! Can't even discuss the speaker cable.

Cheers,

Mats N

No problem mate. Whatever it is - and I think I've got an idea about the Marshall-style amp and cabs - it sounds so good. They went right into my personal favorites. I think it was a good weak for the Kemper: First okstrats 1970 Marshall and now your Black Goob amps. I feel like a kid in a candy store.

• Oooh. These sets are both really tasty. I have a good idea of which amps you used but the exact amps matter little. The profiles are superb and that's what counts. The options for almost every type of sound are getting mind boggling. :thumbup:

• And btw: My Les Paul digs those profiles too ;)

Hi,

Hmm, with humbuckers?
    I must admit that I was so set of getting these profiles right for my singles that I didn't even think of trying with humbuckers.
    Will try that today. Thanks for the prompt.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Yes, but those are Throbak SLE 101+ true vintage PAF style (very bright to begin with). With that guitar I was aiming at a vintage "burst" sound which is a lot like a Tele on steroids. Maybe that's why it works well with your Marshall profiles.

Your typical LP with darker PUs - or a darker guitar anyway - the profiles might not fit. But with my "burst" they do.