Remote not showing colored lights for stomps, buttons not responsive

• Hey, guys.

I created some new performances last night in Rig Manager. Renamed a performance in the profiler, dragged and dropped a rig. Clicked a different performance, returned to the new one, everything saved. So far, so good.

I then added a stomp to a slot by pushing buttons on the profiler itself (I can't figure out how to add a stomp to a performance in Rig Manager). Pressed the store button a couple of times to save the performance. I was in the control room so didn't test with the remote.

Today I'm in the live room with the remote and the new performances aren't showing the colored lights on the slots where I added stomps. I can see, for instance, COMP in the LCD where I've added a compressor, but no blue light and the stomp button is unresponsive. I went back to some performances I created a week or so ago and they're all fine. When I come back to the new ones, no stomp lights or button presses. The green buttons to select slots work fine, just no stomps even though the LCD is displaying them correctly.

I've gone back and forth looking at the profiler and the lights on all buttons, e.g. stomps / stack / effects, etc. are identical between the performances that work and the ones that don't, nothing's locked, etc. I've rebooted the profiler a couple of times, I'm not running Rig Manager while in performance mode, and at this point I'm out of ideas. I'm running the latest release version of RM and the OS. I never install betas.

Is it possible that these performances are somehow corrupted, or is there something very stupid and obvious that I've done to screw this up?

Would be grateful for any advice or insights.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Okay, a little more poking around and it appears I missed the remote section of the manual where you have to press a button on the remote while pushing buttons on the profiler. That's a bit of a hassle since the remote is in one room and the toaster another.

Is there any alternate way of assigning stomps to the remote that doesn't involve operating the two pieces of hardware at the same time, perhaps something involving Rig Manager or some button I'm overlooking in the profiler?

• as piotrmaj said Chris, the manual will explain it properly but its really pretty easy.

As for your reasoning for assigning stomps on the KPA itself. Assigning via RM is straightforward. Right Click on the Stomp Slot you want to populate. This should bring up a menu with all FX Types, Sub Types, and (in the latest beta) FX presets. Mouse click on the one you want and you’re good to go. Alternatively, if you already know you want to load an existing preset just find it in the preset list and drag/drop it on the Stomp Slot.

• Manual, page 255, "Assignments without Remote".

Thanks, man. That's exactly the bit I was looking for and managed to drive right past.

As for your reasoning for assigning stomps on the KPA itself. Assigning via RM is straightforward. Right Click on the Stomp Slot you want to populate. This should bring up a menu with all FX Types, Sub Types, and (in the latest beta) FX presets. Mouse click on the one you want and you’re good to go. Alternatively, if you already know you want to load an existing preset just find it in the preset list and drag/drop it on the Stomp Slot.

And thanks for this as well. I saw the bottom of RM showing all the effects when I would click on one of the slots of the performance, but it wasn't clear to me if that was applied to the rig globally or just in this instance in the performance.

A bit of further reading indicated that performances have copies of rigs so I can do this without affecting the original. I'd been banging around and somehow managed to put stomps on the rig itself and not the performance copy, so I think now I should be on the right track.

All of this is evidence of how rarely I do anything beyond find a great profile and just play guitar. Apparently I need to improve not only my guitar playing but also my reading abilities. :)

• As for your reasoning for assigning stomps on the KPA itself. Assigning via RM is straightforward. Right Click on the Stomp Slot you want to populate. This should bring up a menu with all FX Types, Sub Types, and (in the latest beta) FX presets. Mouse click on the one you want and you’re good to go. Alternatively, if you already know you want to load an existing preset just find it in the preset list and drag/drop it on the Stomp Slot.

Okay, playing with a performance now and still not connecting the dots. I have two amp slots. When I select the first one in RM, then go to the bottom and turn on, say a compressor, I don't see anywhere that I can say, "save this in the performance."

When I then click on the second slot, the compressor is still on. Whatever changes I make seem to be global (or are actually being applied to what the current profile would be in browse mode) and have no relationship to the performance I'm working on.

I'm sure I'm just being dense here, but how do I get the stomps to stick with the slots in the given performance?

[later, that same day...]

Okay, I've found that if I put the toaster into performance mode then Rig Manager stomp changes work as I would expect. Then assigning remote buttons per piotrmaj's help handles that. So far, so good.

That said, I thought having Rig Manager up, the remote connected and running the Kemper in Performance mode at the same time was a Known Bad Thing. That's why I've been explicitly avoiding operating RM in performance mode.

Am I just confused about what the Known Bad Things are regarding Rig Manager?

Edited once, last by Chris Duncan ().

• No Chris, you need to put the Profiler in Performance mode not the other way round.

Sorry Alan, I probably didn't word that very well. I'm editing the performances in Rig Manager, and I am indeed putting the profiler in Performance mode.

What I was questioning was the fact that I thought having the profiler in Performance mode (with the remote connected) and running Rig Manager at the same time lead to occasionally erratic behavior, crashes, etc. I know there are some kind of "don't run RM when you're doing X," and I thought this was one of the X's.