Ready to take the plunge.... Almost..

• Have been considering a kemper for a while now, Am very close to taking the plunge... Help push me over the edge!!!

I'm at most a hobbyist player, learning how to play while learning how to build tone. Have an axe fx 2 but have been impressed with what I've heard about the kemper.

I'm into vintage type tones, cranked Marshall (this lizzy, Garry Moore, Angus, Kossoff etc) Brian may, gilmour...

Haven't been as successful with the cranked Marshall stuff as I have with gilmour on the axe fx, seems a compression that I can't seem to get rid of where I'm looking for that open, airy tone. (I'm quite rubbish at trying to express this type of stuff in writing)

Would mostly be playing through headphones due to volume level limitations, I've seem some very positive comments on the headphone out which is great!

Otherwise would be through a atomic powered cab - anyone have issues with this setup?

I know from a effects pov axe fx is ahead, that doesn't bother me as I don't need to sell to fund the kemper so could still access those effects... I love messing with stomp boxes though so very important would be how the kemper takes pedals in front, especially fuzz, which I've never been happy with modeled versions on any device if trie

So, as above I'm very close to placing an order and would be very interested in anyone's opinion based on my music taste, especially anyone who has/had and axe fx 2 firmware 6.0 up,

Thanks in advance for any help you can give to make me decide!,

• I'm into vintage type tones, cranked Marshall (this lizzy, Garry Moore, Angus, Kossoff etc) Brian may, gilmour...

I'm into those sounds as well and the Kemper really shines in that department. As there are profiles of many Marshalls and also some great cabs it should be able to create some serious vintage tones.

The key to this sounds is to know what those guys played (amp type, cab and speakers) and then look for the suitable modules in the Kemper. Be prepared to dig through the user profiles on the Rig Exchange though since many real vintage amps are not part of the factory sounds but rather on the Rig Exchange. There is even a Hiwatt with matching cab for your Gilmour tones. I believe And44 did those, so look out for those profiles.

You might also have to save off some cabs from different rigs to mix and match with the amps you are going for.

It might take the first couple of days of your ownership but once you have all your vintage cabs saved and prepared you are in vintage-sound-heaven.

To me the Kemper is even better than buying a current Marshall since the profiles of real vintage gear sounds much closer to the original stuff used by Kossoff and Angus than any reissue possibly could.

• Thansk for the reply Garrincha! -

have been listening to some more clips etc, and decided to go for it - order placed, should be here by the end of the week - looking forward to the begining of a new journey!

• have been listening to some more clips etc, and decided to go for it - order placed, should be here by the end of the week - looking forward to the begining of a new journey!

Good decision! :thumbup:

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• You will definitely not regret your decision. Make time in your schedule and start letting your friends and family know that you'll go missing for a while but they don't have to worry! :thumbup:

• Lol thanks all - ive been really impressed with how quickly this forum has got going, and seems like a great community here - to say i am at amatuer level would be a gross exageration of my ability :( but looking forward to contribute where i can!

• Funny enough, the first time that I'm really enjoying my Marshall profiles is now that I found the cab with Greenbacks (I think it came with the Siggi Mehl profiles)... what a difference!

Use your ears, not your mathematical sense.

• Funny enough, the first time that I'm really enjoying my Marshall profiles is now that I found the cab with Greenbacks (I think it came with the Siggi Mehl profiles)... what a difference!

I was lucky enough to find out about that cab the first day I got my Kemper, because I updated the Firmware which contained the Siggi Mehl amps and those cabs. I was always a lover of vintage Greenbacks and even before I got the KPA I had done a bit of research and found those cabs mentioned in the "amp and cabs reference list". So I already knew where to look and changed every Marshall profile to this cab.

And it is still blowing me away because it is a perfect example of a great vintage Greenback cab. I was chasing this sound since I started to play guitar in the 80s. I did use a '68 plexi stack back then which my school owned but being a kid I didn't have any clou of what I had and of course I had to give the rig back when I left school. But this sound is just etched into my brain ;)

And you just can't get it from current production Marshalls. Although they are very good and Marshall really cares nowadays there is still something missing that you get from those old speakers and cabs.

I would go as far as to say: For me it's either Vintage, Metro/Scumbacks or Kemper. Nothing else gives me that sound.

• Just started messing around with CAB's last night - what a difference!! - was messing around with one of the AFD100 profiles which wasn't really working for me - changed the CAB to one from a pushed JCM800 and bang, AFD100 profile is staying!

This is fun!!