Question about "pure cabinet"

• When playing the Kemper through the Kemper Kabinet (and especially when using imprints) is there any reason NOT to set pure cabinet to the maximum?

I mean, putting it on maximum would mean I'd get rid of the microphone part of the profile and get closest to the amp in the room feeling, am I right?

What pure cabinet setting do you guys use the most? Do you turn it off for recording and put it on full for the Kabinet? And how do you handle it when going to FOH while also using the Kabinet as monitor?

thanks!

• I understand Pure Cabinet has no effect on speaker imprints so setting to maximum does nothing. You would have to set for Full-Range mode to use Pure Cabinet.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Generally people hate it or use it at very low levels :). Use your ears on this one. It most likely sounds awful on full.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Here's my take on this. Pure Cab has a very specific value in some use-cases. Overall you really don't want to have it on max, because the algorithm will bend the profile upside down and can introduce tons of unwanted artifacts which really don't sound nice.

The general rule is: the better the recorded profile (mic placement) the lower the value of Pure Cab should be set (mostly even completely off that is). However, if you're just jamming out by yourself over monitor speakers it might help reducing some frequency spikes caused by the recorded cabinet which can sound better. For recording it should usually be turned off, though. Also I wouldn't worry about it if you use the Kemper Kab, because the whole point of it is to get that amp-in-a-room feeling, while also being able to use it as a monitor in full range mode.

So after all it comes down to user preference. I have it on 0.5 because it doesn't interfere with the profile, but also can help reducing some unwanted frequency spikes when using my studio monitors. If you really like the effect it gives you I think 3 is a good value which I believe is also the stock setting from Kemper.

Also what people tend to forget, is that they hear demos of various profile vendors & specific packs and want to get that exact sound, but also have their Pure Cab on 3 or higher, which totally changes the response and is mostly the reason the sound you get doesn't sound anywhere close to the demo. Turning off the option can help here as well.