Scratchy pick noise.

• having an issue with pick noise on high gain profiles. I downloaded the soothe2 free trial to try and eliminate any unwanted pick noise and it's alright but I want it better from the source for live playing.. I have landed on polygel tipped picks. They seem to make the least amount of noise.

I've tried reducing the pick knob in amplifier settings, adjusting the definition, clean and distortion sense.

I realize less gain will have less pick noise. But I play metal, with a lot of pinch harmonics and interesting.. guitar noises we'll call them. That cant really be reproduced without high gain. I also want to keep my coil tap set up. Maybe it's just my pickups? Using a Schecter Research C7 Apocalypse.

Any ideas? Thoughts?

Edited once, last by jcbleazy: Clarification ().

• Picking more towards the neck in a more flat pick angle (not the often recommended 45° with alternate picking) can help, especially on the higher strings.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• Just for fun: Listen to some extreme metal recordings you like (with good studio monitors) and pay attention to "pick noise". After some time you hear more weird noise than melodies ore actual notes beeing played ?

There is an orchestra of picking noise underneath to explore.

Partly solution: Try out different picks and see what works best for you.