• I just saw this Synergy amp collection system that uses pre-amps by various boutique manufacturers. The system is promoted by S. Vai in the ad I saw.

You basically have to buy a SYN-1 or SYN-2, and a preamp module, and a power amp section, and a cab. Or a power section combo and pair it with a preamp.

I was impressed by the manufactures that were on board, but seems kind of pricey. $1500 for a 1x12" 30W combo and you still need a $400 pre-amp to make it work.

Does anyone else find this kind of ridiculous?

I might be on the KPA fanboy train here, but I just can't see how anyone would buy into this system.

• I have tried out a number of their modules. I was quite impressed and with direct recording options would be a viable alternative to other modellers/profilers if you only need 1 or 2 different tones. Yes the system can be pricey but can be worth it if you find the right preamp modules.

• I was considering a Syn before going the modeling route since it was cost effective to have more amps by going modular.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I had a Syn 50 head that can have two modules at the same time, so basically a four channel amp since most modules have two channels. You can have countless more modules ready to swap out in seconds if you want.

It was really good....really, really good.....and yet I sold it and bought a Kemper Stage.

No regrets because the new Kemper sounds better than I remembered them sounding, weighs much less and Profiles are a lot more abundant than modules and cost ranges from cheap to free. Made enough to cover a brand new Stage and most of the cost of a passive Kemper Cab.