Easyer way to create user scales using Excel Macro

• As it is not easy to work with step Numbers instead of Note-Names , especially when trying different base keys, i was searching for an easy way.

Now i created quick and dirty a excel macro that can help.

In A3 you select the basic key with a dropdown field.
    In Column D you select the Notres you want to hear, when playing the note in column C.

Press calculate and you get the interval numbers for each step number.

UserScaleCalculator.zip

edit:

i had problems myself ;( on a compuer with libre office.
    i had to alow macros in the security settings. Took a longer time to find out, as there was no error message when hitting a button

Edited 2 times, last by wrbi ().

• Well done sir!

even though I do fully understand the semitone interval methodology used by the KPA it is a major PITA for anyone with even a little music theory to try and calculate everytime instead of using musical intervals. I would still love the ability to toggle between number of semitones and actual intervals n the KPA itself.

• Well done sir!

even though I do fully understand the semitone interval methodology used by the KPA it is a major PITA for anyone with even a little music theory to try and calculate everytime instead of using musical intervals. I would still love the ability to toggle between number of semitones and actual intervals n the KPA itself.

Yep, I don't get why that's not a thing. So they assume you know what key you're playing in when you have to select it in the harmonizer but then they assume you won't understand what interval you'd like the harmony to be in your custom scale.

• So what happens when you leave a step blank in a user scale? (Like if you played a G note in this example). Nothing happens?

I have operated harmonizers since early Eventide and Digitech "smart shift", Line 6, PS-5, TC electronics GMajor 2 (horrible effects but great harmonizer and tuner!)

The Kemper was at first very difficult for me to understand before I found out that user scales presets are not stored within the pitch shifter but in the rig. That still doesn't make sense to me, I would have thought it best to have a list of presets within the pitch shifter tree (like delays, reverbs have). Especially because a forum member wrote me: A User Scale is a parameter of a Harmonic Pitch Preset. You can create and delete Harmonic Pitch Presets. And I thought they would be stored with in the pitch preset but the manual states they are stored within the rig.

User scales are said to be stored within the rig but where? So if there is no pitch shifter in a module, the presets are still there?

Also I found the picture on page 190 to be misleading , I wrote:

On my Kemper, "User scale one and User scale two" are identical to "voice one and voice two" shown on page 190. If I pull up user scale 1 in either voice one or two the intervals will be like page 190 shown"voice 1". If I put user scale 2 in voice 1 or 2 it will look like "voice 2" shown on the page. Seems the manual is the one confused about scale 1&2 and called them voice 1&2.

Kemper support replied:

The manual describes the user scales as they appear in the Profiler Head and Rack model. If I look at the same user scales in the Stage both User scales use the same settings (aka major) while User Scale 1 in the head model is minor and User scale 2 is major. The term voice 1 and voice 2 in the picture at the bottom of page 190 is misleading. User scale 1 and 2 would be more appropriate.

I sent a note to the copywriters.

When I look at that picture I still don't get why the one that is supposed to be minor is under the tonic and the one that is supposed to be major is over the tonic. That had me suspicious they didn't mean minor or major but above and below the tonic.

I really think the manual should explain the user scale thing better now that I went back and read my original thread and the manual page I am confused again as I thought I had it straightened out. I'll mess with it tonight.