Output levels?

• Hi group:

I've been struggling with a "this doesn't sound nearly as good as it used to" problem with multiple items for a while. I have Yamaha DXR10 monitors, I thought they would be excellent and were recommended here. After trying multiple other things, I changed the Yamaha's for Kustom mini pa columns. The XLR output was astoundingly loud. I had to turn the master volumes and the channel volumes down to approximately 1 or 1/2 if they had numbers.

I used to have a BBE in line but not at the moment - I took it out as I was A/B testing to see if that was the culprit. Doesn't seem to be. I've done the soft reset / cleared all settings, no joy. Reset clean sense and distortion sense to zero. Didn't expect that to matter, but tried anyway.

The -12 dB control is set. The master volume was at least -36 dB, near fully off. Basically need to have Kemper master volume just a tiny bit above "off". That can't be right.

I don't remember needing to crank the powered speakers so low in the past. Is this a clue? Before I'd use the center detent in the master volume and adjust outputs in the rack. Is this just a phenomenon of using the XLR outs? I've tried 1/4" cables to the Yamahas but not the Kustoms yet.

Using the back panel input if that matters. Have a bypassed Line6 HX FX in front in mono but that didn't make a difference when I wired around it.

Was going to do a full factory reset but I'm running the latest beta software. I suppose I'll need to wait for the next official release to try the mind wipe.

Any other items I should check? Is there a safe and easy factory reset while on beta software I don't know about? (I got the impression from another thread here that you can't just use the top left button on power-up if running beta.)

I'm strongly suspecting there's something corrupt in the firmware or else there's user error. Seriously could be user error.

Any suggestions?

Best,

Ron

• make sure to use line level inputs and not microphone inputs on your active monitors. If the XLR inputs are named Mic you cannot use those with the Profiler. Use the TS line inputs instead.

BTW -36 dB is not "nearly off". The Profiler output level can go down to -95,9 dB

• Quote from Kustom KPX5M Manual

These inputs are designed for XLR and ¼” cables. The XLR portion is for low-impedance microphones or equipment that has a mic-level, balanced output (often called a Direct out). The ¼” portion of these inputs may be used to connect high-impedance microphones, keyboards, drum machines and other line level audio devices.

• If you were using a TS 1/4" cable before and are using XLR now, you very well could see a big volume difference. The TS cable is unbalanced. The XLR is a balanced connection. I would try the same cables you had before. I would also check as stated above that you are connected using the right settings on the monitor for a balanced connection.

Another though that I had was that they implemented a boos for the Kemper Kab in the Beta for units that didn't use to have it in the BETA. Maybe that is turned on?